Hit a Brick Wall

BaneTrain

So I have gone out several times and have probably asked over 20 locations about placing a machine and all I have gotten is no's. I have been to businesses where I do personal business such as an Auto Body shop, places where I know someone and businesses I deal with because of my job. I have offered percentages, donations to employee funds and donations to a charity of their choice and still can't get a decision maker to budge. Is there any other tactics I should try? I was getting locations like hot cakes now I can't find a location for a single gumball. The only option I have right now is a bait shop, which I think I will do but I am going to have longer service cycles for that location.

So I have gone out several times and have probably asked over 20 locations about placing a machine and all I have gotten is no's. I have been to businesses where I do personal business such as an Auto Body shop, places where I know someone and businesses I deal with because of my job. I have offered percentages, donations to employee funds and donations to a charity of their choice and still can't get a decision maker to budge. Is there any other tactics I should try? I was getting locations like hot cakes now I can't find a location for a single gumball. The only option I have right now is a bait shop, which I think I will do but I am going to have longer service cycles for that location.

Keep trying buddy! Keep working on making your presentation better and you'll get there.

Your experience makes me wonder, since people change their minds from time to time, is it a good practice to revisit some places that already rejected the idea? And how long should you wait before you do? But I don't have any experience so I don't know if that's just going to anger people...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

It really ebbs and flows, at least in my experience. Sometimes it seems like you can land everything, and other times you can hardly get in the door. Persistence is key- keep finding new locs, and keep on trying, and eventually you will succeed.

One thing you might consider is to grab a phone book. I don't mean call, I mean to reference. If you're locating in a town you live in, it's really surprising how many prospective locations you can overlook if your're just looking in the same places. I discovered a busy auto shop nestled in a residential area this way, and it's a great stop- but I never would have known it existed if I hadn't perused the yellow pages for the type of spots I was looking for. It's not a guaranteed solution, but at least it will keep your "to-try" list full. ;)

As for "going back" to locations, it really depends on the type of person you've dealt with, their turnover, and how badly you want the spot. For me, it's anywhere between 1-3 months if I think I'll have more luck with a change of seasons/personnel/etc. Your results may vary.

Sounds like your just not a natural salesman. You can learn but a salesman personality is the "witty guy" the guy "talks too much" and not the guy who is "serious" or "shy" ..

It gets easier but you first must really be confident and believe in your product or service. Your numbers get better not just because your "pitch" gets better but because you understand how to get past the "gatekeeper" and which types of locations are more receptive to bulk vending.

I had s guy I bought his storage unit full of machines from tell me he went to every single store on every street and got 1 out of 30 for a yes..

I was shocked at his ignorance as he seemed like a "witty" guy and a good talker. I didn't try to school him because it wasnt in my best interest as he was too near me and my route.

But I would never never ever blanket a map like that, it's foolish as not every location is receptive of vending and not every location will make any sales. Sure when I was locating single Gumballs and my goal was $10 a month I did that but I soon realized windshield time paid me alot more and gave faster growth.

10 single Gumball machines placed in good restaurants even if they are towns apart pays more than 10 Gumball machines in one shopping plaza if by chance you are just starting and only have 10 FREAKING GUMBALL MACHINES!! Like I did .. As a route gets larger and equipment cost are not the main hurdle then those lower performing stops mixed with long extended service times of them become viable.

Got off subject a bit but my point is numbers game selling is foolish unless you know where to go. Just because the door is open doesn't mean it's worth stopping and asking if you know it's a dead end. Dead ends like say a McDonald's, target, etc. Find your mom and pop restaurants and stores, go on a slow part of day and slow day of week. Don't waste time talking to gatekeeper, keep notes on locations if you do talk to gatekeeper so you can avoid him/her next time, be confident, dress casual, don't take a bunch of sales material in your hands but only what you can keep in your pocket so hands are free. Notice stuff in location to make small talk and break the ice ,compliment the business on appearance and let them talk as much about it as they want( if they start bragging cheer that on as that's gonna make your sale) etc..

Well my number just got called , time to eat!! Later folks... Ron

Thanks Perfoma, just driving down side streets I have spotted Laundromats and service centers that I never knew existed. I will definitely pull out the phone book and look. I was mainly asking because I got 7 locations rather easily and have a total of 9 but it's been hard since then. It hasn't been too bad of no's, not like I am saying anything wrong. It's either a Corporate no, don't want to have any type of food or vending or just don't have room. I have a restaurant I am calling in a few weeks when they finish their move as the owner told me he is moving in a few weeks, so no point in putting it there and moving again. 

Ron, I appreciate the input but respectfully disagree with your analysis. I have convinced 7 locations to allow my machines in there and have developed good relationships with several of them. I may not be a natural salesman but I can convince people. I have been out with my buddy Hillbilly several times recently to hopefully get more than 9 locations and he says I did just fine but that it just wasn't in the cards that day.

A good locator will let you give them the types of spots you want but a cheap locator will put them anywhere that's open. Then there's the telemarketer and your guess is as good as his !

Best thing is to locate yourself and learn how to do it as that is the "business" of vending as locating is a constant effort just like collecting and service.

A good locator is a good salesman (or convincer)and I personally used to always empty my van before I came home back when I was hustling double and singles. 20 a day was not hard to achieve and I considered that a good day.

I got more selective when I got racks then cranes and pushers but bulk was fast and easy.

And I never put machines in a one employee sewing shop or crap stops like that. I would gravitate towards any type of food place being restaurants, grocery or places with lots of waiting. One good buffet restaurant averaging 60-70 a month would pull all those 7-10 a month averages up significantly.

If you're vending candy, remember that you aren't "selling" anything to the business owner/manager.  You are providing choices for their employees and customers.  So don't go in somewhere asking about placing a machine.  Ask what choices they currently provide, then point out how you can provide more choices without any cost or time impact to the owner/manager.

Just my opinion.

Archived