Snackshop 7600 (old) - can I use VFM1 validator?

kent

Hello, let me introduce myself, I am new to vending.  I work at a community college and I inherited the task of keeping a few old vending machines working in our department.  About 20 years ago, the college had classes that teach vending machine maintenance, which it no longer offered. The machines were hold-outs from those days. We do not have funds to upgrade them. Part of my job is to maintain them, fix problems with minimum cost because the machines are not in the department budget. This is a nonprofit operation. We keep them running for the benefit of the students.

I am faced with the following: One of the machines I am having trouble with the bill validator which is the subject of this post. The details:

AP Snackshop 7600 food vender/Ardac 1X224-0501/MBA Universal Input Output Controller/Mars coin changer works ok (it looks like a Coinco 9300). Only accepts $1 and coins - No credit card is ok with us.

The Ardac in the 7600 worked poorly, rejecting many bills last year. This month it quit working, giving an error 6 – Magnetic head malfunction. I don’t think it is worthwhile to try to fix the Ardac. In my search for a solution I found we have a Mars VFM1-L1-U2CS BA and a Coinco 9300. They were spare parts for a soda machine that is even older than the 7600. I tested the VFM1 and it works. Here is my question:

Is the VFM1 compatible to the 7600 machine? If yes, what do I need to make it work? Do I still use the MBA controller? The 7600 takes a short pulse and the VFM1 is a short pulse BA.

I am new to this vending technology, but I have experience with refrigeration systems. So I hope I can contribute in that area to the forum. Thanks for any help you can offer.  

-Kent

post-10727-0-75387900-1441509175_thumb.jpg

post-10727-0-30891500-1441509320_thumb.jpg

It sounds like the old vending classes went away if they weren't even teaching how to work on more current bill validators.  You are correct that the Ardac is obsolete and not worth repairing, however that is also the case with the VFM.  While it certainly will work in this machine with a specific harness and two mounting brackets, you will likely find that the VFM will not last long, or last at all, as it's also ancient.  It can be rebuilt but there are no new parts for them other than belts so if any hard parts need to be replaced that would be done with used parts.  It's advised to upgrade the machine to a MEI VN2500 validator which will use the same harness and brackets that the VFM would use.  The machine also only uses a 110v 12 pin coin mech such at the 9300L you have or a Mars TRC6000. 

I can supply you with any of these parts that you might need.  You can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom for information.

AZVendor. Thank you for your reply. No doubt you are right wrt VFM1 that I have. But there is no way I can justify buying another BA if we have one that will work. It looks like it was hardly used, maybe was a refurbished spare. If I can make it work for a couple of years or 4, a lot of things can happen.. Meanwhile I start putting aside some funds monthly for a future upgrade. It helps if the harness will also work with a VN 2xxx series.

So you are saying I don’t need the MBA blue controller anymore . I just need a harness can connect directly from the VFM1’s black box 18 pin connector directly to the 6x1 connector on the 7600 controller board.

You'll need to remove the Ardac validator, it's mounting bracket, the MBA control box and all harnesses from it including the ground wire.  There is a power connection on the power board to the left of the logic board to remove as well so make sure the machine is unplugged when doing this.  Email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom and I can send you a harness and brackets for you to install it with along with instructions for mounting the new validator and harness.

What you have is the model T puckup trucks of bill acceptors. While the bed of your truck may be the same size at a new Toyota Will both trucks carry the same load the same distance with the same amount of down time?

I understand you do not have a budget for new equipment. Please understand you will pay for the new equipment in lost sales and continues repair bills.

Today customers expect your machine to take bills they would never think of putting into a machine in 1980.

Walta

• 4 months later...

Welcome to the forum.  That can be replaced with a MEI VN2500 110v validator, two MEI mounting brackets and a validator harness.  If you need those parts you can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.

Archived