should I?

PHX1

Hello everyone! I recently had an account of mine (good one) approach me about proving coin operated stacked washer and dryers for there hotel. I already do vending for them. They have a company do the washers and dryers but are not pleased with them. If I do provide them with the stacked units I think it will also open up doors for doing vending and laundry machines for other hotels they have around town. Does anyone have any experience with laundry machines?

Hello everyone! I recently had an account of mine (good one) approach me about proving coin operated stacked washer and dryers for there hotel. I already do vending for them. They have a company do the washers and dryers but are not pleased with them. If I do provide them with the stacked units I think it will also open up doors for doing vending and laundry machines for other hotels they have around town. Does anyone have any experience with laundry machines?

The million dollar question is how much money is it currently doing in the laundry? If it is known history to do well then might be worth doing it. Myself never do laundry at a hotel but usually always utilize the vending. 

The million dollar question is how much money is it currently doing in the laundry? If it is known history to do well then might be worth doing it. Myself never do laundry at a hotel but usually always utilize the vending. 

Valid point RJT! If you didnt know what would you do? If I do ahead with it, I will be pushing for 2-4 year contract.

On another note, the Only peoples machines I use are my own ;)

If you are considering getting into coin-operated laundry, then it's worth checking out. Is it profitable? I have no idea. Just think about what the existing company will have to do with all of the machines. If I were you, I'd do substantial research on the business. I'm all about making money, but I like to focus on one business at a time.

Valid point RJT! If you didnt know what would you do? If I do ahead with it, I will be pushing for 2-4 year contract.

On another note, the Only peoples machines I use are my own ;)

I would probably not go into it without knowing. Why not ask?  I am sure they are getting a commission so should give you some numbers to work with. 

Yep.  I can't ever remember doing laundry in a hotel and I used to stay in them frequently - not sure if there's any demand for this.

Yep.  I can't ever remember doing laundry in a hotel and I used to stay in them frequently - not sure if there's any demand for this.

If this a by the week type motel or extended stay the laundry use would be better than a night to night type.

I had the same opportunity presented to me a year ago and took it.  So far it has been mostly positive for me.  The hotel has a good mix of extended stay business and family vacations business, both of which use the guest laundry a lot.  I also converted a 2 wide snack machine to handle the changer duties and vend laundry products.  The repairs can run into some costs and the commission to the hotel is higher than my vending commission to cover their utility costs, but there is no product cost and in my state no sales tax on coin laundry.  Be sure the hotel understands that they will be responsible for the daily cleaning of the laundry room area and look it over to be sure it is located where vandalism will be at a minimum.  You will have to budget some time when you do collections to wipe down and inspect your machines.  Also, invest in coin boxes with higher security keys such as medeco.  If you can negotiate with the hotel to deduct repair costs from collections before fuguring commission that would be great, and also gives the property more incentive to be a little protective.  Mew machines cost about $1,000 per "pocket" (washer or dryer drum), and usually have a parts warranty (not labor).  Like vending, as you learn to work on them yourself you will save money.  FYI, I did learn that like vending, the large national companies that provide on site laundry don't always give the best service and accounts often get frustrated with them.... hotels and apartment complexes are both big users of that service.  

I would probably not go into it without knowing. Why not ask?  I am sure they are getting a commission so should give you some numbers to work with. 

RJT, I have an email to the hotel owner asking about his commission and how much he gets.

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the input! I will talk to the owner more and get details on sales. I am leaning towards installing the machines. I will post something if anything happens.

Archived