Checking the thermostat

nrod7

The Dixie Narco 368 has power, the fan is running, when I turn the thermostat  from 12 o clock (off) clock wise I hear the compressor kick on.  I noticed frost on the copper tubing going into the reefer, but the unit did not cool.

Could this be a thermostat problem and how can I check to see if it is?

nrod7

That means you either aren't giving the machine enough time to cool down (minimum of 1 hour) or you are low on freon.  A properly charged and operating machine will have frost on only the top right corner of the evaporator tubing.  Where the 1/8" capillary tube changes to a 1/4" tube is where the freon will begin to expand.  This is approximately 2" from the top corner of the evaporator.  From the point that the 1/8" goes into 1/4" and up to the side of the evaporator is the only place you should have any frost.  This called the "frost line."  If you have a frost line then let the machine run for an hour or two so it can get down to temperature. 

Your thermostat should also be set to a setting of 3 1/2 only.  Any higher can freeze products and any lower might not be cold enough.

On a extremely hot day and in a machine that is hot from the compressor not running may not even see any frost for a bit. Sometimes I will try to feel the high side going into condenser for heat. If it is working the high side should be hot also. 

Archived