Crane/GPL 171 with flickering LED light

Rexlex

I've got the above mentioned unit with upgraded lighting. Machine built in 1998 (115V 60 Hz, 3amps, single phase). The display LED light system is flickering.  I assumed it was the bulb so I bought a replacement and it doesn't even flicker.  The original bulb does flicker so I suspect the problem isn't the bulb.

Any ideas on where to start?  I can upload some pictures if need be but it appears to have a transformer that supplies power to both ends of the bulb.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Crane 171 LED

AZV, I'm guessing that is the silver part directly in front of it (about 1" x 3" in size) as shown in gallery picture.  It has a writing on it, Robertson Transformer Co, Blue Island, IL.  If that is correct,  I'll pull it off tomorrow and get the part number and see if I can find an equivalent locally.

No, that's the ballast. The starter is a round silver or plastic item to either side of the light fixture. It might actually plug into a socket on one end of the fixture. Without it your light can't light at all. From your photo it appears that the starter socket is on that end of the fixture. It should use an FS2 starter.

I just looked at you photo again and I see the LED sticker on the glass and can see that you have put a retrofit LED bulb in.  That explains why you have no starter as those bulbs are sold as easy replacements for florescent lamps without changing any wiring, only removing the starter.  Check with whoever sold it to you to find out what it means when one flickers and another won't light at all.  It might mean you need a new ballast.

Since you have a LED light, just bypass the ballast. Snip the 2 wires going to the ballast, remove the ballast, then simply connect the 2 remaining wires in the machine together. There is also the possibility that there is an in-line RF filter that has gone bad. Look at the wire from the machine going to the ballast, If it has an extra device plugged in before the ballast, eliminate it and plug in directly. I would bypass the ballast regardless since it is not needed.

Since you have a LED light, just bypass the ballast. Snip the 2 wires going to the ballast, remove the ballast, then simply connect the 2 remaining wires in the machine together. There is also the possibility that there is an in-line RF filter that has gone bad. Look at the wire from the machine going to the ballast, If it has an extra device plugged in before the ballast, eliminate it and plug in directly. I would bypass the ballast regardless since it is not needed.

Some LED replacement lights require only the removal of the starter and they then power the light with the ballast so if he cuts the ballast out he'll have no power to the light at all.

Some LED replacement lights require only the removal of the starter and they then power the light with the ballast so if he cuts the ballast out he'll have no power to the light at all.

If you continued to read, after removing the ballast connect the 2 remaining wires together. This will provide the 110VAC needed to run the light. I have done this hundreds of times.

ok, I took the easy route and just bought the new kit that will be plug-and-play (see above for link).  I don't have alot of time right now and I figured I can play around with the kit I remove and put it on another machine eventually.  The seller assured me it will work with this machine as is.

Archived