Do not buy vending machines until you read this

RJT

RJT that's is exactly what I do, find the account see what I need to do the job, go looking for it, buy it, place it, and search for another

Its like this I have a 1000 gallon diesel tank in my barn but only use say 150 gallon a year, so I don't tie up money on diesel that I don't use, I buy as i use, and use my untied money on other things

Hello all,

I read this whole thread and it was an interesting read. I've just started vending this year 2015.

My first account was a single price at a storage unit and then purchased another location with a snack and a 5591.

Then I bought some COMBOS and put them each in a location. Until this thread [or this forum], I never knew combos were a bad idea because of the plan I sought after.

I am very comfortable in soliciting businesses with 50 and under employees due to me speaking with the decision maker instantly to place the machine there swiftly.

I always ask the question to new vendors I come in contact with: Do you buy machines or get the location first? I get different answers every time. It seems like it's a Catch 22 for me.

The hardest part I've come across is the accounting part....but I am starting to get a hang of it. And most that I have come across say they don't track their monies or product at all, they just collect and restock.

Luckily and good guy that owns 21st Century Vending helped me out in that area by having the machines do all the work for me.

I'm still learning and buying GOOD BUYS [b4 the locations] and FINDING LOCATIONS.

Forum:  I would like to share this because I am proud of myself. I landed an 11 machine account all by myself and then having to refill them every 3 days! I'm so ecstatic!

My goal was to get accounts that make $100 - $200/wk but someone just told me you can get accounts that product $1,500/wk

Fellow vendors I'm off to find such location. Wish me luck.

I welcome all suggestions, advice and constructive criticisms. I am here to learn, learn, learn, and give advice if I can.

NOOBS [newbies] like me.... DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK THE VETERANS QUESTIONS! I've found out they are willing to help and welcome us into the business!

Thank you guys.

$1500 per week? You can find them that do over $5k a week.  ;D

$1500 per week? You can find them that do over $5k a week.  ;D

I am still waiting for one of these ;)

To throw my two cents in.  I usually only buy vending machines in advance if I find an great deal.  I would recommend that you have a connection in the industry to get you machines fast though. (This will cost you more) To be blunt if you want to compete with the larger vending companies you need to be able to get in at a pretty fast rate.  When I close a deal I would never go over two weeks, and that's easy to do if there is another vendors machines in there.  I can also say put in good machines.  I'm not saying to put in expensive Glass Fronts in all accounts, but if you get junk you will run into having to fix them.  IF your new to all this that will scare you away fast.  Also you can lose an account fast if you can't keep your machines going in working conditions, and stocked.  There are two many vending companies out there that will gladly take your account ;)  I can say though, good communications, being friendly will go a long way ...  Big vending companies, accounts are just numbers for many of them.  Treat your accounts like you need each and every one of them... it will go a long way when another company knocks on the door offering to put better machines in there.

Its not easy getting good accounts, but when you do it is enjoyable when you make your first collection. ;)  

Oh and yes sell the combo machines... if you ever have an account that wants one its most likely not a good account anyway so don't worry ;)  

Sh*t, SoCal is one of THE most competitive vending markets... You really ain't gonna get those as a newbie. Those places will require lots of new complicated food and coffee machines etc.

If you are serious about this RJT is a consultant, he could help.

Sh*t, SoCal is one of THE most competitive vending markets... You really ain't gonna get those as a newbie. Those places will require lots of new complicated food and coffee machines etc.

If you are serious about this RJT is a consultant, he could help.

Thanks for the plug!! Yes, I can help him like I have helped others (some from this forum) attain those goals. 

I am still waiting for one of these ;)

To throw my two cents in.  I usually only buy vending machines in advance if I find an great deal.  I would recommend that you have a connection in the industry to get you machines fast though. (This will cost you more) To be blunt if you want to compete with the larger vending companies you need to be able to get in at a pretty fast rate.  When I close a deal I would never go over two weeks, and that's easy to do if there is another vendors machines in there.  I can also say put in good machines.  I'm not saying to put in expensive Glass Fronts in all accounts, but if you get junk you will run into having to fix them.  IF your new to all this that will scare you away fast.  Also you can lose an account fast if you can't keep your machines going in working conditions, and stocked.  There are two many vending companies out there that will gladly take your account ;)  I can say though, good communications, being friendly will go a long way ...  Big vending companies, accounts are just numbers for many of them.  Treat your accounts like you need each and every one of them... it will go a long way when another company knocks on the door offering to put better machines in there.

Its not easy getting good accounts, but when you do it is enjoyable when you make your first collection. ;)

Oh and yes sell the combo machines... if you ever have an account that wants one its most likely not a good account anyway so don't worry ;)

NO you do NOT have to have machines in stock and get in at a "fast rate" to compete with the large vending companies. All of my accounts are done with scheduled switch out dates which is usually 30 days. You have to control the situation and make it work for you. Don't get me wrong in the very rare case you might need equipment sooner but it is rare if YOU control the situation with your customer. That is part of successful selling is controlling the situation but making the customer feel like you are helping them fix their current situation. In my close to 15 years in the business I can not think of one time I couldn't schedule a switch in the 30 day range which is plenty of time to get your equipment needs lined up. 

Archived