Vend motor switches

nrod7

Switches are cheap in most cases so just replace questionable ones. You can check with a good ohm meter. Put one lead on the common and one on NC. It will show continuity the slowly press the switch down there should be no movement on meter till you feel the click. If it does then it is a bad switch.   

You can ohm out a motor switch but that won't necessarily tell you if it will work inside a cold, damp cabinet with the voltages that the machine provides.  Switches can be bad in two ways: gummed up and not responding quickly or corroded and not passing current properly.  These issues will give you symptoms of motors coasting, the machine showing 'sold out', a message of 'make another selection', motors vending when you close the door switch, etc.  But those symptoms are not always mutually exclusive to each other.

The symptoms will vary with the make, model and switches fiction in the machine.  

The best test for switches is a test with more current and less voltage digital VOM meter provide.

Like the one in this link. It is cheap and has 2 leads.

But I don’t use one my meter will find 99%.

If I were working on mechanical juke boxes it would be my go to tool.  

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ct-19/continuity-tester/1.html

Walta

Hello AZ,

When you mention the "make another selection" or "sold out" lighting up, is that when the switch is not working properly for that selection.  In other words, those lights should not flash on during the vend cycle. 

And when the "make another selection" or "sold out" lamp lights up it should stay on.  I hope that is right because I always wondered why those messages light

up and turn off quickly.

Respectfully,

nrod7

Those messages can scroll on the display when the motor is not moving and consequently not activating the motor switch.  The sold out message can also show if the sold out paddle is not activating that switch.  

If all you see is a sold out message then make sure that the cans are far enough forward to be within 1/2" of the paddle when the paddle is pressed all the way down. That should be close enough to keep the paddle from activating the switch which avoids that message. At that point you should not be able to hear the sold out switch click when pressing it further by hand. If you still hear the switch click then the cans aren't far enough forward. You can also check that the switch connector is fully onto the switch. If none of that prevents the sold out message then either the switch is bad or it's actually a bad motor switch.

Archived