negotiating space for free

Hello all !

I'm very new to the vending world , but excited.

I am going to purchase a year old shermco combo vending machine (bottles,cans,chips,candy and credit card reader) for $800 which I figure is a good deal.

What I'm concerned most is on space! Did most of you negotiate and persuade a business to give you free space for Thier benefit ? Or do most of you give the site a percentage of your profits to them or a local donation of Their choice? Any help , input, suggestions are all welcome here .

Welcome to the forum!  Please do some liberal searching using the search box at the top of this forum page.  Shermco is not a valued supplier to the industry and they are online-only distributors with flashy webpages that make everything look fantastic.  The machine you buy will not be a "Shermco" machine but probably an imported machine with no factory support in parts or any meaningful tech help.  You need to at least provide the model number of the machine you're looking at so we can advise you further but your searching here should include terms like start up, newbie, noob, new vendor, first machine, etc. to find threads where much advice has been given before. 

As to the space negotiation goes, what you are referring to is the possible expectation of the location receiving a commission on the vending sales.  It is entirely up to you whether you share your profits with a location or not.  It's advisable to never bring the subject up before the location does and then if you choose not to offer a commission you can tell them at that point.  If you are willing to offer one then it's again up to you as to what percentage you will give them.  I would not go above 10% and would try to keep it under that.  If you pay anything it will be easier if it's based on your gross sales, but you will benefit if it's paid on your net sales (which you would have to concoct).  No-commission is a good way to stand - sell your service not the money a location would make.  Once you start down the commission trail it become too easy to offer it just to get marginal accounts and you'll regret that you have to share your money.

Where are you located.  It looks like you are going to buy a combo.  Any chance you might rethink that idea.  I know they look good and the price seems good but you can get a full size drink and snack refurbished for a little more money.  But if you have already closed the deal and purchased the machine then the next step would be getting a location.

Hey guys ,

Their website is Wearevending.com and It's called a shermco zero. They are being sold for 2500$ brand new that's why I figured I was getting a deal. Do you think there are any disadvantages of getting this machine? The website support seems pretty thorough but I could be over looking something. I have a couple semesters under my belt regarding a/c and electricity regarding possible future issues.

AZ vendor thanks for the negotiation help also, I wasn't sure if getting free space was farfetched or not. " sell your service not the money the location would make" is something that will stick in my head forever.

Thanks poplady I'm in southern California, and I did verbally agree through text to buy it

My suggestion is to not buy anything till you do some more research about vending. You need to worry about a location first before buying any machine because the location will dictate what machine will need to be placed there. Like AZ has already said combo machines is not where it is at with vending.  Their are a couple books you can buy about vending that would be helpful for you. The Truth about Vending written by myself and Vending Machine Fundamentals written by Steve Woodbine would be a great place to start. Both can be found on Amazon for less than $5.00 for both books if you choose Kindle edition. 

After reading both books and doing a lot of research on this forum then you can decide if vending is still for you how to approach it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Vending-beverage-business-ebook/dp/B00LM0M4TW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1443897989&sr=1-1&keywords=the+truth+about+vending

http://www.amazon.com/Vending-Machine-Fundamentals-Build-Route-ebook/dp/B004O4C12I

Hey guys ,
Their website is Wearevending.com and It's called a shermco zero. They are being sold for 2500$ brand new that's why I figured I was getting a deal. Do you think there are any disadvantages of getting this machine? The website support seems pretty thorough but I could be over looking something. I have a couple semesters under my belt regarding a/c and electricity regarding possible future issues.

AZ vendor thanks for the negotiation help also, I wasn't sure if getting free space was farfetched or not. " sell your service not the money the location would make" is something that will stick in my head forever.

Thanks poplady I'm in southern California, and I did verbally agree through text to buy it

See my above post. DO NOT BUY THAT MACHINE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. 

Oh my , it's the rs 850/800 model. I just saw a video titled crappy vending machine and it was THAT machine. I also saw a forum if everyone really stating thus machine is problematic. Not it's time to be a golpher and tell the seller I changed my mind :/ . Thanks guys

Oh my , it's the rs 850/800 model. I just saw a video titled crappy vending machine and it was THAT machine. I also saw a forum if everyone really stating thus machine is problematic. Not it's time to be a golpher and tell the seller I changed my mind :/ . Thanks guys

Yes that machine is crap however it is more than just that machine, you need to have a full understanding about vending in general. That way you can understand the ins and outs about vending and make educated decisions about how to approach the vending business.  

Good idea.  If you are in Southern CA you can get good machines from Vending World in Rancho Cucamonga (Randy) , Ross Vending (Ross) and Dependable Vending actually sells some of their smaller locations with equipment to new vendors (Ask for Zachery).  Good Luck.  I do not make any money from these equipment suppliers...just giving you some names.

Archived