Coin mech not wanting to accept change after return is pressed

bjones220

I have a Dixie Narco 501e and every time somebody puts in coins and if they ever change their mind by pressing the coin release. From then on, the coin mech doesn't want to accept coins anymore. What I've done to fix it (temporarily) is by opening the door and then closing it which seems to "reset" the coin mech.

However, if someone uses the coin release again, then the issue repeats itself. This isn't too big of a deal since I check the machine 1-3 times a day but it is starting to get annoying. Is there a good easy way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

When I first bought the machine I now remember seeing the "coin release bar" (behind the door) appeared to be pressing down on the coin mech lever kinda hard. But I thought that was how it was supposed to be. I saw some screws that look like could be loosened to help raise the coin release bar up a notch. Is it safe to try that?

Yeah it sounds like your coin return lever is messed up, the coin mech isn't closing back up, or your coin mech is mounted wrong.

Next time the machine is open, play with the coin return and see if the coin mech opening stays open.

The c/r lever inside the door on E models has to be properly adjusted so that the inner door doesn't push the c/r lever down onto the coin mech when the doors are closed and tightened together and then you also need to make sure the machine c/r lever doesn't get stuck on or caught behind the coin mech c/r lever.  It can be a fine line to get these two adjustments made but whatever you do, DO NOT bend the c/r lever.  There are two adjustments: 1. The two screws in the face of the c/r lever can be loosened to slide the lever up or down.  2. There is a round head phillips screw in the upper part of the c/r assembly that is used to limit the travel of the entire c/r lever. 

Also make sure that the coin return spring is mounted on the lever and that the c/r button doesn't drag and stick preventing it from popping back out.

In the middle photo you can see that the machine c/r lever is touching the coin mech c/r lever.  There should always be a small gap between the two levers.  You can loosen the two screws in the middle photo and move the machine lever up slightly.  After doing that then fully press the c/r button to see if the c/r lever slips behind the blue coin mech lever where it would get stuck.  If there's no chance of that then your adjustment should be fine.

As AZ says, there should be space between the coin return arm and the top of the acceptor return arm. If not, when door is closed and the inner door is compressed against outer door, the door will press the arm down and slightly open the gate of the coin mech.

Archived