How do you handle reimbursements?

How do you handle when people say they lost money in your machines? I know it happens and sometimes yes I don't always believe the people but how do you handle? I have some places that leave sticky notes and I leave the money at the front desk. We have one large location that is blue collar and we put a use at your own risk notice on as the office does not want to deal with it. I have a growing location that wants something formal in place since an employee lost a dollar last week and wanted it right then. I have another place I leave $20 petty cash at. Last week someone said they lost a $10 bill in my coin changer, when I checked it there weren't even any $10 dollar bills in it!

Lol!

Yes you get people trying there best to get money from you!

If it is the same person over and over, then you can suspect some thing fishy!

If it is different people, give product or money back to individual.

Don't want to lose account over petty change.

I don't ask any questions, I simply give money back to person.

cajun 

Refunds are a part of vending and can’t be avoided even with Sure Vend and other types of technology to cut down on refunds. Will some people abuse this? Yes they will. If it becomes a habit from the same person or people then take it to your account contact person and discuss it with them. When I mean “habit” I mean every week the same person over and over for a month or two.

I had a guy hitting one of my drivers up for $5 and $6 a week. I let it go on for a month then took it to my contact. They were very nice about it and said they would take care of it. I never heard another word and the refunds stopped.

I also almost lost an account one time because my driver acted like he was mad about a refund and the contact heard him. The contact told him that he could take out the machines. I had to go smooth things over and talk to my drivers.

NEVER argue over refunds. Pay it back with a smile and say you are sorry. Ask questions about what happen and tell them you will make sure it is fixed. Have you ever lost your money in a vending machine and never said anything? My guess is for every one person that wants a refund there are close to the same amount that doesn’t say anything at all. So it is a net zero loss. No need to fuss about refunds, just pay them and act very sorry it happened.

When you first install equipment you need to establish with the contact person at the account how to handle refunds. This can be done by the account putting sticky notes on the machine, telling a supervisor, front desk person, etc. Then you just check in with the person and pay up and they disperse the money back. Another way is to give the contact person a small bank of money ($10.00 in change) so they can give back refunds as they happen and you just keep the bank filled with monies. The employees should be told by the contact how refunds are handled. That way it limits phone calls to you about refunds.
Giving refunds also depends on the account. If the account is a rest stop, City Park, etc. I don’t worry so much about refunds. Most people are not going to expect you to chase them down for .50 they lost at a rest stop while traveling through your town. I also don’t put my contact information on these types of machine (not required in my state) I don’t want someone calling me at 3:00 am about losing a dime in my machine. If it makes you feel better at these types of accounts you can put your contact number, address or email for refunds. I prefer not to bother unless it is required.

Depends on the site....but I do leave money with about 1/2 of the locations.  I tell them to always refund with no questions asked.  I have only once had the contact person come to me and say "this person is ALWAYS coming and saying that they lost money etc".  after a couple more times of this same person, I just politely told them that since you always seem to have issues with the machines, either please stop using them, or you have to consider it your risk."  That was the last time I had to refund money to them.

As far as $10 bills etc, I always tell my contact that my machines will only take $1's and $5's, not $10's or $20's.  Additionally the machine will not give change back for a $1 when a $5 is inserted....it just doesn't work that way.

At the end of the day, give back $10-$20 a month at the most is always better than losing a $$$$ location.

Travis

Leaving $10 in quarters aleays worked for me and the vendors I work with feel the same.  That way the location can make the call on whether someone is abusing the refund policy.

Archived