Bill validator not accepting bills and no red light

If you have sufficient change in the coin tubes then the validator should be enabled.  The startup noise you hear is normal, it's either not being enabled or the validator has failed.  What model of machine is it in; that can make a difference in the diagnosis.  If it's an MDB machine you may need to emply the coin tubes and refill them while using the machine's Tube Fill mode so the logic board can count how many coins it has.  Some MDB machines lose track of the coin counts if all you do is regularly add coins to the tubes by hand.  If you end up needing a validator let me know and I can send a replacement.

Do you mean it's an AP7000?  This could be a coin mech problem.  Even if the nickle tube is full it might have a bad sensor in it which isn't reporting that it has coins.  This will disable the validator.

AP 4600, 9340-L to maka harness Is the model. I called the guy and he said it could possibly be the validator harness has a short in it. Not sure if that's it. I trust you more than him. He hasn't been reliable.

The dollar coin DIP switch on the changer has to be on.

That validator relies entirely on the coin mech as the coin mech has the connection to allow for a bill validator to work. We can narrow it down to the coin mech, validator, or harness. It's probably not a bad harness though.

Does the red light come on for a second when you turn the power on to the machine or is it never on at all?

The 9340L has a proprietary connector on it that is only for Coinco's own harness that goes only to a Coinco BA30/50B or Mag30/50B.  There is no connector on the end of the harness that interfaces to a Maka validator and it can't be converted.  You can inspect your harness from end to end but it is a pretty stout harness with good insulation on it.  I would bet that the issue is in your coin mech tube sensors.  The only way to find out, since it's a 9340L, is to put this coin mech into another machine that uses a 110v logic mech but wouldn't use the Coinco harness, such as an AP7000, a National 147, a Rowe 4900 etc.  If this coin mech in one of those machines also won't enable the validator that's in those machines then you'll know your coin mech is the issue.  I can send you one if you need it.

That validator relies entirely on the coin mech as the coin mech has the connection to allow for a bill validator to work. We can narrow it down to the coin mech, validator, or harness. It's probably not a bad harness though.

Does the red light come on for a second when you turn the power on to the machine or is it never on at all?

I saw the red light flash one single time. I had turned if off and turned it back on multiple times and just watched it for a few minutes but only saw it flash once

I saw the red light flash one single time. I had turned if off and turned it back on multiple times and just watched it for a few minutes but only saw it flash once

Then it sounds like the coin mech is disabling the validator.

The 9340L has a proprietary connector on it that is only for Coinco's own harness that goes only to a Coinco BA30/50B or Mag30/50B. There is no connector on the end of the harness that interfaces to a Maka validator and it can't be converted. You can inspect your harness from end to end but it is a pretty stout harness with good insulation on it. I would bet that the issue is in your coin mech tube sensors. The only way to find out, since it's a 9340L, is to put this coin mech into another machine that uses a 110v logic mech but wouldn't use the Coinco harness, such as an AP7000, a National 147, a Rowe 4900 etc. If this coin mech in one of those machines also won't enable the validator that's in those machines then you'll know your coin mech is the issue. I can send you one if you need it.

Unfortunately I don't have one of those machines. I have an AP 5500. Could I test it in that one or no?

Archived