Is this account worth Pursuing.

putrevus

Hi ,

I just had a meeting with one location, they have 3 soda machines and 2 full snack machines.

For me to win their business they wanted all snacks to be 75 cents and drink to be 1.10 cents.

150 plus workers and it is open 6 days.

Thanks for your feedback

Yes. If its cans, waters, or 16.9 oz. Snacks get rid of anything w s cost over .45c should justify in volume.sell honey buns, small chips maybe at .75 unless they have lss already, cookies as well. If its cans and u can sell cookies and small chips that still leaves u with a 35% ish cogs not bad

Like everybody else no large bags of chip, no candy bars, and small pastries.  

16.9 oz bottles of soda should be $1.25.

Water is good at a $1.00 for 16.9 oz.

Cans in machines is okay at .75.

cajun

Hi ,

I just had a meeting with one location, they have 3 soda machines and 2 full snack machines.

For me to win their business they wanted all snacks to be 75 cents and drink to be 1.10 cents.

150 plus workers and it is open 6 days.

Thanks for your feedback

are they going to take out the other machines?:huh:??:huh:??:huh:??:huh:??:huh:

Like everybody else no large bags of chip, no candy bars, and small pastries.

16.9 oz bottles of soda should be $1.25.

Water is good at a $1.00 for 16.9 oz.

Cans in machines is okay at .75.

cajun

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a quick question. If you are NOT paying a commission, would you charge 1.25 for 16.9 ounce bottles?

Need more info before I can give any thoughts on this. 

What type of account? 

What hours? 8-5 24/7

How often does the current vendor service them?

Why are they wanting to switch?

What type of equipment is in place now? 5 wide? 4 wide? cans? bottles? 

Are they getting commission?

Bottles or cans?

What are their current prices? 

Are they ok with limited selections because of the price points like limited or no candy, limited or no pastry, limited or no cookie? If so are they willing to "notify" the employees of this to limit the complaints of limited selections?

Finally what is their driving force of the .75 price point for everything?  

Finally what is their driving force of the .75 price point for everything?  

My guess would be either "inability to do simple math," or "prices are too high, when I was a kid I could walk into any store and buy candy for a nickle. Why should I have to pay over a dollar now?"

My guess would be either "inability to do simple math," or "prices are too high, when I was a kid I could walk into any store and buy candy for a nickle. Why should I have to pay over a dollar now?"

Yes, I realize it could be "prices are to high" but I/he needs to know exactly what the reason is. If it prices are to high then is it because the workers are low wage? Are they trying to do it as an incentive for the employees? Are they all low income handicap workers? What is the driving force? Is their another way to get prices right yet offer something else they might like better yet makes him more profit? All this needs to be known and analyzed. 

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a quick question. If you are NOT paying a commission, would you charge 1.25 for 16.9 ounce bottles?

Yes I put 16.9 oz bottles in my machines and get $1.25 a bottle, no commission.

Two blocks from my house Coca Cola machines are $1.75 for twenty oz bottles!

cajun

The current vendor is selling chocolates for 90cents and snacks for 80 and drinks for 1.35.

This guy told me he wants to save money for his workers who are not that well paid.

What makes me so angry that these guy think they can get new machines with all bells and whistles and still give them prices which are so low.

How the heck are we supposed to do some business with guys who tthink they are doing a great favor forgetting the investments for the machines.What about time spent on servicing those machines.

Is this case everywhere where these bozos will dictate what price we can vend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The current vendor is selling chocolates for 90cents and snacks for 80 and drinks for 1.35.

This guy told me he wants to save money for his workers who are not that well paid.

What makes me so angry that these guy think they can get new machines with all bells and whistles and still give them prices which are so low.

How the heck are we supposed to do some business with guys who tthink they are doing a great favor forgetting the investments for the machines.What about time spent on servicing those machines.

When you told me the initial prices, I imagined this: 20 oz bottles, candy, pastries, chips, cookies, etc..  They have everything selling for a very reasonable price already and the contact is willing to let someone else do the vending if the prices are unprofitably low.  The only thing you'll be selling at those prices will be 1oz chips, crackers, a few varieties of cookies, and some other oddball things that might not sell very well.  Selling 16.9 oz bottles are an option, but I bet they'll still want the 20 oz bottles because that's what they had before.  Even if they are okay with the 16.9 oz bottles, someone's going to rant about not getting pastries and candy bars.  When you offer to sell them for the same price (or higher) than the previous vendor, they'll start wanting to find someone else.  And 5 machines?  How will you stock 2 snack machines just with chips and cookies?  It won't sell that well.  If a business is so worried about their employees due to their low wages, perhaps they should try to find ways to make sure they get paid better.  If they are willing to slit the throat of the current vendor and take advantage of you, I think it's safe to say that they would do the same to their own employees if they could save the owners profits too.  Helping them is not your problem, making a profit is.

I had an account a couple years ago that was willing to change if I did one simple thing... They had 4 machines (bottle, can, food, and snack).  The owner would switch on the criteria that his workers could buy a can of pop and a candy bar for $1.00 (total).  That meant selling the candy bars AND sodas for no more than 50 cents each.  At the time, candy was about 55 cents/unit and soda was about what it is today (about 30 cents/unit).  This place had about 20 employees.  20 oz bottles were $1.00 each, chips were 50 cents, etc...  The current vendor had had the account for so long that they never bothered with price increases in order to make the account happy.  Meanwhile, I can promise you that these guys would often walk to the nearest gas station and pay WAY more money on various products that they couldn't get out of the vending machine (even though it was fully stocked).  I NEVER came back to the account.  My perspective was that they were willing to take advantage of ANYONE who was dumb enough to take up the offer.  If you don't respect the fact that a business needs to be profitable, then you don't deserve my service.

Even if you found items that fit the price points that they want, you have to consider that your revenues will be lower because you won't be offering the stuff they want.  Does anyone here think that a 20 cent price different in vending items will make or break an employee somewhere?  With my numbers, the average person probably buys 2-3 items out of a vending machine each week.  Saving them 20 cents per item will probably only save them about 50 cents each week.  That could be $75 in pure profit that you lose each week to save each employee 50 cents.  50 cents will not buy them anything at a grocery store.  I strongly recommend you either offer to match their current pricing or pass on the account.

When you told me the initial prices, I imagined this: 20 oz bottles, candy, pastries, chips, cookies, etc.. They have everything selling for a very reasonable price already and the contact is willing to let someone else do the vending if the prices are unprofitably low. The only thing you'll be selling at those prices will be 1oz chips, crackers, a few varieties of cookies, and some other oddball things that might not sell very well. Selling 16.9 oz bottles are an option, but I bet they'll still want the 20 oz bottles because that's what they had before. Even if they are okay with the 16.9 oz bottles, someone's going to rant about not getting pastries and candy bars. When you offer to sell them for the same price (or higher) than the previous vendor, they'll start wanting to find someone else. And 5 machines? How will you stock 2 snack machines just with chips and cookies? It won't sell that well. If a business is so worried about their employees due to their low wages, perhaps they should try to find ways to make sure they get paid better. If they are willing to slit the throat of the current vendor and take advantage of you, I think it's safe to say that they would do the same to their own employees if they could save the owners profits too. Helping them is not your problem, making a profit is.

I had an account a couple years ago that was willing to change if I did one simple thing... They had 4 machines (bottle, can, food, and snack). The owner would switch on the criteria that his workers could buy a can of pop and a candy bar for $1.00 (total). That meant selling the candy bars AND sodas for no more than 50 cents each. At the time, candy was about 55 cents/unit and soda was about what it is today (about 30 cents/unit). This place had about 20 employees. 20 oz bottles were $1.00 each, chips were 50 cents, etc... The current vendor had had the account for so long that they never bothered with price increases in order to make the account happy. Meanwhile, I can promise you that these guys would often walk to the nearest gas station and pay WAY more money on various products that they couldn't get out of the vending machine (even though it was fully stocked). I NEVER came back to the account. My perspective was that they were willing to take advantage of ANYONE who was dumb enough to take up the offer. If you don't respect the fact that a business needs to be profitable, then you don't deserve my service.

Even if you found items that fit the price points that they want, you have to consider that your revenues will be lower because you won't be offering the stuff they want. Does anyone here think that a 20 cent price different in vending items will make or break an employee somewhere? With my numbers, the average person probably buys 2-3 items out of a vending machine each week. Saving them 20 cents per item will probably only save them about 50 cents each week. That could be $75 in pure profit that you lose each week to save each employee 50 cents. 50 cents will not buy them anything at a grocery store. I strongly recommend you either offer to match their current pricing or pass on the account.

That was my reaction too ,they already have everything at great price.

How can I be so sure that he will not do the same thing to me which he is doing to current vendor. If get into any contract with these guys, I might end up regretting it.

These are the types of accounts that have no concept of what it takes to run a business.  They don't pay their people fairly so they want you to also not make a fair profit.  They will never understand your business nor appreciate it.  They need to run their own vending for awhile to see how they will lose their shirts at the prices they demand.  Sell them a couple of machines instead.  You are not obligated to serve every account that comes along and you just have to walk away from the accounts that don't allow you to make a fair profit.

Bingo!! Now we have the answer.Say thank you for the opportunity and walk away. 

Maybe if he wants to do something for his workers he should pay them more - IMHO

Sometimes you just need to educate the managers, because like AZ said, they have no concept.

First, be honest about what machines costs and how much product is. Keep it as simple as possible and try not to confuse them with too many numbers. Then end with, "It will take me ____ years to earn my investment back and I haven't even factored in gas, repairs, insurance, licencing, etc yet.... I have a family to feed, and like you, I have a business to run... this is what I can do for prices".

Also throw in "Kroger charges $1.69 for a bottle of soda, so you're employees are still getting a great deal at $1.25."

If you're nice but confident, they may use you.

Archived