Preparing for winter - keeping drinks warm

This year, my truck is parked at a storage facility with no electrical hookups. It pains me to have to unload cases of drinks everyday at my house.

This is a long shot, but is there anyway to keep product warm for one night in 10F degree weather? Propane would cost about $5-$10 per day.... so I am hoping someone here found a more practical solution.

Snacks are generally fine but your beverages will freeze. Regular soda doesn't usually freeze until it gets to about 8° but that's based on the daily high. I wouldn't chance it. I'd unload as much as I could. A propane heater is definitely dangerous but losing half of your soda or more is costly.

How much soda do you have?

Usually about 32 cases of cans and bottles. It's just annoying, back breaking work, and will take time every morning to load back on to the truck, but I suppose I have no choice unless I get big enough to afford a warehouse.

In the winter, I try hard to bring just enough to get through my day and I leave the rest in my house. I don't mind running into a grocery store for a few more cases near the end of the route.

A space heater would be way better than an electric blanket.

One tip is to stack cases. The coldest spots are the surfaces/walls where the wind chill takes effect. I would stack my cases about 5 cases high and usually only had to worry about the top and bottom cases. If you can, put something insulating under the bottom case

I was thinking about a few electric blankets to cover the pile of cases in my garage but haven't tested it. Could be viable in a truck.

Problem is he said he has no access to electrical outlet. 

I don't know any way to do it without electricity.  You said it was at a storage facility.  Is it enclosed?  If so you could run a propane heater beside the truck and heat the entire room.  If it is outside is there an electrical outlet that you could back up to?

I deal with the same issue every winter but I have access to an electrical outlet for a heater.

Diets freeze first so stack them in the center of load. Mt dew has more sugar and freezes after everything else so stack it on the outside. Pepsi products have more sugar than Coke products. Lowes has 4X8 sheets of styrofoam that you could put around them and then find some good comforters at a garage sale or goodwill to cover it all. As the nights get colder check product with a thermometer in the mornings to see where your limit might be.  

If so you could run a propane heater beside the truck and heat the entire room. 

This could cause the heater to run out of oxygen and then fill the room with propane that could explode.  If it did work it will generate poisonous carbon monoxide that could fill the entire facility with deadly gas - if it didn't run out of oxygen and then make the room a bomb.

I'd explore building a plywood insulated cabinet with a port for a propane heater and then filling the cabinet with warm air while you're there - there's no way I'd let a propane heater run by itself unmonitored. The cabinet would not require that you keep the entire space heated so it should not require much propane. A simple heat gun with a small gas driven generator might also work for filling the cabinet with hot air.

Pick up a couple pounds of fish scraps from your local fishmarket and place them on and around the cases. The body heat from the family of raccoons it attracts will keep the pop warm. Sorry I'm out of ideas.

Archived