Thinking about a new vehicle

hoosier96

Right now I drive a Nissan Frontier 4wheel drive with a topper. I like it because I also use it as my personal vehicle so it pulls double duty. I pre kit all my machines so I don't usually carry extra/random product except when I pick up orders from Vistar, SAMs, Costco, and UNFI.

I'm considering a Promaster 1500 118 wheelbase. The problem I am going to run into in the very near future is not having enough room when I pick up my orders. I'm also trying to plan for future growth. Based on research I've done, gas mileage will be similar to what I get now. I'll miss the 4x4 because we go to the mountains a lot in the winter. The 118 wheelbase is about 10 inches shorter than my truck and the 136 wheelbase is about 10 inches longer. Like the shorter one because I have quite a few accounts in the city and parking can be a pain in the butt.

Also, I hope to expand into micro markets in the future which is factoring into this decision too.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kevin

That vehicle will have significantly more space than your truck. You will need to build shelves but I'm sure you'll find that it has way more space than you currently need. I also want to get a promastrr or Ford transit if I can, but my Chevy express box truck is getting it done and no amount of fuel savings will warrant a newer vehicle. I probably have less than $4,000 into my '99 Chevy express and it's wayyyyy cheaper than a $40,000 van.

One thing to note is that you'll have extra access in a promaster. This means you'll be able to really stack things up and use the rear or side doors to get to what you need. You won't need a path through the entire middle like my box truck which only has access from the rear roll-up door. I've done some math and I think a high-top promaster with the long wheelbase will have almost 70% of the cargo capacity of my box truck with a 12' box as long as you utilize the space properly. About 35% of the space of a box truck is lost to make room for the path. You could probably utilize close to 90% in a promaster if you're good.

Also since you have a 4x4 it can still be used in case of winter weather. Even if you grow beyond the trailer one day to a large route truck I would always keep it as a backup in case your large dedicated route truck goes down. 

A rental unit near the house large enough to store a trailer is going to be close to $200 a month. We have so many new people moving here right now that storage units and real estate is really expensive. Also, warehouse space is impossible to find because all the marijuana grow ops are snatching it up before it goes on the market.

Have you asked them how much to park a small trailer? 

I guess a van is the way you will have to go if you cant make a trailer work. Keep in mind it is not going to go very well in all that Colorado snow you guys get. 

One of my route vehicles is a promaster 2500. IMO the 1500 will be to under powered. My 2500 with a little soda is pushing it. It has sense been turned into a mobile repair truck for our service tech. It was replaced by a 20' isuzu refer truck.

IMG 4735

That vehicle will have significantly more space than your truck. You will need to build shelves but I'm sure you'll find that it has way more space than you currently need. I also want to get a promastrr or Ford transit if I can, but my Chevy express box truck is getting it done and no amount of fuel savings will warrant a newer vehicle. I probably have less than $4,000 into my '99 Chevy express and it's wayyyyy cheaper than a $40,000 van.

One thing to note is that you'll have extra access in a promaster. This means you'll be able to really stack things up and use the rear or side doors to get to what you need. You won't need a path through the entire middle like my box truck which only has access from the rear roll-up door. I've done some math and I think a high-top promaster with the long wheelbase will have almost 70% of the cargo capacity of my box truck with a 12' box as long as you utilize the space properly. About 35% of the space of a box truck is lost to make room for the path. You could probably utilize close to 90% in a promaster if you're good.

Fills up faster then you think. When it was used for a route, we couldn't make more then 8 stops before it was empty. Depending on what you need at your stops i think will dictate this, If you had a lot of snack it would work perfect imo.

Find a 12ft box truck with side and rear. Thats what im looking for. Imagine the rear you completely fill with shelves for snack, then u put a shelve divider in the center since you dont need the hallway. The side door you have access to shelves of drinks. Perfect

Hoosier

As for a trailer and storage unit, have you checked the online storage unit aggregator sites? Like travel sites, there are often rates found only on those sites. I am not sure which sites have alerts on deals, but I see 10'x10' and 10'x15' available for $50 - $100. The difficulty is in finding regular, drive-up units, since the trend is to store all of a person's special stuff in an indoor, climate-controlled space.

Agree with TKK

A side door on a box truck is indespenable once you have used one. Curbside doors are great for street delivery businesses, but many vendors benefit from the driver's side door. Most box truck shoppers are looking for a flat floor (box above frame, no wheel wells), but a vendor can build shelves around wheel wells, and the low door entry is easier on your body. One of the best turn-key solutions is to find a used bread or bakery truck. What you can often find is:

-a clean and less-dented truck (it used to carry hot dog buns to a store and not a mobile metal shop to a work site);

-a side door (often on the driver's side);

-a low floor box (often means a shorter overall height);

-a large platform rail gate.

A used tool truck or linen truck can work, too, as long as it was kept clean.

Archived