A few questions about locating

Candyguy

Hi guys

I had a few questions about locating. I was wondering your approach when you enter a business as a possible location and notice other bulk machines already there? Do you still offer your services or try to offer a commission with your machines?

My other Question is how effect email is when trying to locate. If you have a charity affiliation I was thinking of sending out emails to some businesses asking them if you could place your machines. This way they could see a picture of the machine and understand the charity affiliation. Now I understand locating in person is always your best bet but was was wondering anyone's expieriences in locating by email.

Unless I'm offering something very different from the existing operators, or their equipment is really shabby (but sold down, if that makes any sense), I pass them by. There are lots and lots of locations out there, and there are very few spots worth "fighting" an existing vendor for. All of them that come to mind are going to be bigger locs with multi-head racks.

Email is, in my opinion and experience, utterly and completely worthless. If you're going through a junk mail service, you're going to be throwing your money away. Charity or not, businesses file all of that stuff, physical and digital directly into the physical or virtual trash. Don't waste your time- that's my advice.

For locating (especially if you're doing smaller single/double setups) going to spots in person is going to serve you best in terms of success rate and experience. I know guys don't like to hear it, but there really isn't any other effective means to get new spots outside of getting out there yourself, or hiring locators- the latter of which isn't practical if you're building a business. Believe me, if there was an "easy way" we'd all be doing it. ;)

Thanks Performa. You always have solid advice and it's much appreciated. I'm about to start locating and have started scouting businesses as I frequent them. There is one thing that I'm learning really quick. Even though I realize this business is no secret it still does suck when you think a potential business would be a good one to get and you walk in and see a machine or multiple machines sitting in a corner. But I know that is to be expected and that I'm sure everyone sees this all the time when trying to locate .

Archived