Thank you "man with the key"

sterling

I was servicing a 2" ball machine this weekend. While filling it a couple came out of the dinning area and starting groaning/laughing/smirking. The mom was holding the 2 or 3 year old girl. They go to that restaurant all the time and have been telling the kid that they can not get a ball out of the machine unless "the man with the key" is there. Well there I was with the lid open too!! They were busted :shock:. Grandma then came around the corner and started laughing too she then handed me a dollar (yes I charge a buck, they sell too let me tell ya) and I let the kid pick what ball she wanted. As they left the little kid said, "thank you man with the key.":D

I few moments later a 6 year old boy came up with four quarters wanting ball. I asked him which one he wanted. "The eight ball". Does he even know what an 8 ball is? I gave it to him. He smiled and then started looking where he could spend his quarters in other machines. What the heck? No free lunch kid, give me my money!!!  I was actually much kinder than that, but the kid didn't get a free ball.

It is amazing the excuses parents give to there kids why they can not use the vending machine.  As a parent of a 5 year old, I try not to talk out both sides of my mouth.  I try to teach my son that to lie is not a good thing, so I need to follow the example.

Not now, but eventually that kid will know it was all a big lie - when the kid figures it out, does that teach him it's OK to lie?

I agree with both of you guys. The parents were actually laughing and trying to explain to me that it was just their "little lie" to the kid to avoid a scene or whatever. I don't have kids so maybe I'm crazy for saying this. Tell the kid no. Once they learn your no means no and there will be no tear manipulations then problem solved and your integrity is intact. I know that may be some radicle thinking here.

I agree with both of you guys. The parents were actually laughing and trying to explain to me that it was just their "little lie" to the kid to avoid a scene or whatever. I don't have kids so maybe I'm crazy for saying this. Tell the kid no. Once they learn your no means no and there will be no tear manipulations then problem solved and your integrity is intact. I know that may be some radicle thinking here.

aparently u really dont have kids.try telling a small child no to something he has his heart set on and see what hapens.let me give u a hint:there will be tears.

• 2 weeks later...