First location

Candyguy

Hi guys

So a week ago I went out and was able to locate my first machine in less than an hour. I was pretty excited. It was a Chinese buffet. I put in a single head oak vista running gum. The manager seemed ok with it when I explained it and I brought in the machine. So I thought today, after a week, I would go in and check the machine to see how it was performing. When I walk in the machine is nowhere to be found. There's an obvious language barrier between me and the lady at the counter so I am walking around the entire restaurant trying to find my machine that was possibly moved. Finally the manager comes out and tells me she moved it in the back private dining area. I go back there and my machine is covered with a rubber mat over it. You would think she would have called me if she no longer wanted it but instead she just moves it and covers it up. She tells me she no longer wants it because little kids were crying over it. Although this was very rude behavior I am not discouraged at all. As a matter a fact I'm more driven. I'm sure you guys have run into these same kind of owners as well. It amazes me these people actually run a business but I'm sure I'm only getting my feet wet into finding out what some of these owners are like.

she probably wanted: "you give me fifty paaaa cent"

Exactly!

With first generation Chinese owners, the chances of getting them to accept a charity machine is slim to none.  I never pitch charity machines to a Chinese location.  Sometimes a second generation owner from a Chinese family will accept a charity machine but it is still rare.  Just seems like the Chinese culture is not accustomed to dealing with charities.

Just last month, the new owner (who just happens to be Chinese) of a pizza joint, demanded 50% from a 2-head charity machine that had been on location for years.  I explained to him that I can not give 50% nor can I give a commission on a 2-head setup.  I eventually got him to agree to a 4-way rack AND shootin hoops for 30%.  Did the old percent-of-net math on him.  Explained that 30% of gross is 50% of net.  So he got his "fittttie paaa cent" and is happy! 

Exactly!

With first generation Chinese owners, the chances of getting them to accept a charity machine is slim to none. I never pitch charity machines to a Chinese location. Sometimes a second generation owner from a Chinese family will accept a charity machine but it is still rare. Just seems like the Chinese culture is not accustomed to dealing with charities.

Just last month, the new owner (who just happens to be Chinese) of a pizza joint, demanded 50% from a 2-head charity machine that had been on location for years. I explained to him that I can not give 50% nor can I give a commission on a 2-head setup. I eventually got him to agree to a 4-way rack AND shootin hoops for 30%. Did the old percent-of-net math on him. Explained that 30% of gross is 50% of net. So he got his "fittttie paaa cent" and is happy!

Bravo! Thai restaurants are the same way.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Hi guys

So a week ago I went out and was able to locate my first machine in less than an hour. I was pretty excited. It was a Chinese buffet. I put in a single head oak vista running gum.

IMHO, it is best to avoid placing charity machines in a Chinese buffet.  Charity machines will usually not last very long in those places.  Eastern cultures (especially Chinese) and middle eastern cultures tend to not support charities as much.  On the other hand, western cultures (European, Hispanic, Canadian and American) tend to support charities more.  Of course, there is always an exception, but that has been my general experience.

Another problem with Chinese buffets are the rack vendors!  Rack vendors LOVE Chinese buffets and will target them aggressively - so it's only a matter of time until a rack vendor finds the buffet.  Charity machines will usually get whacked after a commission rack vendor gives his pitch to the location.  Just the way it is.

Archived