More machines + more keys = What key rings do you use?

iwannaapple

Hello all,

I read alot on here, just never say anything. Lately, I've been realizing that as my wife and I are s l o w l y getting more and more Beavers, it has never occured to me before of what in the world do we do with all these keys? I have always disliked using our current key ring because as I am turning the top lock the rest of the keys slide around and around the top lid. I don't exactly like that idea and would like a better one. I also am running out of room on the key ring itself not to mention not all key rings fit the very small hole of a tubular ring. Which brings to mind my latest issue. We have just recently acquired a 4 head stand with all cash drawers. What in the world possesed Beaver to place the key hole directly in between the spill tray and and the chute. My hands have trouble fitting that small key into the hole. If the tubular key had a longer shaft or the lock was placed off-center or in the back even it would be much better. Why did they do that? Oh yeah, what do you think of my pic. Pasted on a board and when I get time I am going to try to place it. Hopefully down the street at this Ambulance service. Haven't heard any one mention those. 20-30 ambulances = 40-60 drivers all day plus office and maintenace personnel.

post-9316-0-93039400-1448683510_thumb.jpg

You want to have all your locks keyed the same if you can, maybe 2 or 3 if you have different machines that need different locks. I have a bungee type of key ring, and attach it to my case. 

We have at least one member who attaches his keys to an electric screwdriver. 

I built a route of second-hand machines when I was just getting going. I accumulated a LOT of keys.

I purchased a number of lanyards (my preferred key carrying method) and a big pack of split rings (available at most craft stores/WalMart/etc.) and broke it down by "strings". I have a few per-planned routes I take within my route in each town I operate in (usually based on collection times) so this way I only need one or two "sets" of keys each time. My worst ring has 14 keys on it, thanks to a lot of mixed LYPC and cabinet locks on it. To keep them all in one place, I clip them all together with one of those "rock climbing clips" so I don't lose any.

Condensing your route keys is a nightmare, especially if you have varied keys. It consumes so much time you can't even imagine trying to manage it all. If I could go back in time and do it over again, that's one of the biggest things I'd do differently. Standardized locks and equipment is more expensive to start with- getting a unique key code is an investment. But well worth it in the long run. Trying to re-key a whole fleet of "name brand" equipment is infinitely easier than trying to get the same task done with a whole mess of obscure, unusual equipment. If I can help one person avoid my fate, that would be awesome.

Good luck with your keys!

I built a route of second-hand machines when I was just getting going. I accumulated a LOT of keys.

I purchased a number of lanyards (my preferred key carrying method) and a big pack of split rings (available at most craft stores/WalMart/etc.) and broke it down by "strings". I have a few per-planned routes I take within my route in each town I operate in (usually based on collection times) so this way I only need one or two "sets" of keys each time. My worst ring has 14 keys on it, thanks to a lot of mixed LYPC and cabinet locks on it. To keep them all in one place, I clip them all together with one of those "rock climbing clips" so I don't lose any.

Condensing your route keys is a nightmare, especially if you have varied keys. It consumes so much time you can't even imagine trying to manage it all. If I could go back in time and do it over again, that's one of the biggest things I'd do differently. Standardized locks and equipment is more expensive to start with- getting a unique key code is an investment. But well worth it in the long run. Trying to re-key a whole fleet of "name brand" equipment is infinitely easier than trying to get the same task done with a whole mess of obscure, unusual equipment. If I can help one person avoid my fate, that would be awesome.

Good luck with your keys!

Thanks. I will certainly take that into consideration. That was resourceful to think of a carbine (I think thats what it is called). Now I jsut have to see what a lanyard looks like.

You want to have all your locks keyed the same if you can, maybe 2 or 3 if you have different machines that need different locks. I have a bungee type of key ring, and attach it to my case. 

We have at least one member who attaches his keys to an electric screwdriver. 

My wife suggested a bungee type key ring.

• 9 months later...

I've been back on lately and found this. Thought I would like to update this with something I come up with.

I bought a curtain key ring that looks very easy to attach to my belt loop for about 50 cents and 50 of these little swivel thingy's at a cost of about $8 and those attach  to each key. I do plan on contacting the above person for keys with the same code though. That would be nice too.

Just haven't gotten big enough yet. If any body has any ideas on how to get bigger faster besides saving money, I sure would listen

Archived