Add credit card terminal to older Dixie narco?

adamtheboss

No, you can't put card readers on single price machines and it's not worth the expense to try to.  Just go find yourself a multiprice machine that can handle MDB such as a DN with an SIID logic board and then you can do a card reader once it's converted to MDB with a proper harness and maybe a new eprom.

I'm not sure why it posted the topic twice. Kind of strange. And ok. I was kind of hoping you could retro fit one of them to it. But I was not sure. I like the idea of having them on my machines for convience to the customer. But wasn't looking to buy new machines.

If you are not worried about DEXing product sales, the Canadian product (SMS) works well. The unit installs easily but you have to convert your coin mech and bill acceptor to MDB. These work well with USAT card readers. Cost: $250 + Mech + Val + Card

If you are not worried about DEXing product sales, the Canadian product (SMS) works well. The unit installs easily but you have to convert your coin mech and bill acceptor to MDB. These work well with USAT card readers. Cost: $250 + Mech + Val + Card

Sorry what is dexing product sales :huh:

DEX with a CC modem allows you to log in to a website and get a report if how many of each product has sold since the last time you serviced each machine. That way you could load the truck the night before with everything that you need to replace the sold items.

The handheld device is handy but not nessary.

Walta

I'm kind of dumb. But what is MDB? Just the control board? Once I get on a computer I'm going to post a picture I took at the mall today as that is what I'm looking for? Also when you have a cc acceptor do you have to then install some sort of data device to transmit the sale? Such as a phone for the data connection?

MDB is Multi Drop Bus like what USB is on a computer. It allows coinage peripherals to be connected in a daisy chain way to simplify the connections. It also gives the machine more coinage options such as card readers. The logic board in the machine determines if it's MDB or not. Card readers often times have a modem built in and others have a separate modem to connect to the internet. This done through cellular connections.

So if the machine is multi price, it should have a MDB in it? And if it has an MDB the conversion to make it accept credit cards is really not that bad?

This is the credit card reader on the machine at the mall. Is it a generic one. I didn't want to try and stand in front of the machine looking around like a goofball so I only took a really bad picture of it.

Most late model multiprice machines are MDB capable but it does depend on the age and vintage of the machine.  Multiprice machines existed in the late 80's and 90's but few of them were MDB so it really depends on the machine model.  Credit card machines are all "generic" in the sense that no major brands own them.  They are manufactured by a variety of providers and it's up to the vendor to choose which provider they want to use.

I have a dn501t that is multi price with the s2d board. Are you sure you don't have one of those?

What kind of upgrade would make this machine accept a USAT cc reader? Just a few adapters or what?

Almost missed this question. The S2D supports MDB and L+ protocols. MDB only requires the harness and of course mech/val. To support a card reader the EPROM on the board should be 381.31 or higher. There were some T-Model S2Ds made so there's no question of whether or not it exists.

In an attempt to further explain MDB, MDB is to vending machines what USB is to computers.  MDB is just a way to connect stuff.  Before USB, we had to use various different plugs and connectors to hook different stuff up.  The computers had to be able to send/receive those signals from those connectors as well, and you know if they could do that because the actual connectors were connected directly to the control board.

In a modern vending machine, there is usually a plug where the main MDB harness (the "harness" is just the cord) coming from the control board will connect [usually] to the coin mech.  Also attached to the main MDB harness that goes to the coin mech is another connector that will allow you to connect to another device (such as the validator).  If you were to stretch the MDB harness out, it would look similar to christmas lights where things such as the coin mech, validator, and CC reader are all daisy-chained together.  Within the machine though, it might look like more of a cluster of shielded wire.

So just keep in mind that MDB is simply the communication protocol much like USB devices connect to computers.  It is far more versatile as almost all new vending devices connect to MDB and the machine doesn't need all kinds of various plugs for separate devices.  It also is SUPPOSED to create a standard communication so that the control boards and devices can all communicate without issue.  Unfortunately, MDB doesn't appear to be fully standardized yet.  I think the problem is with the vending machine manufacturers as they try to create their own "version" of MDB.  

All MDB devices will connect to one another physically, but some older equipment (that is equipped to handle MDB) as well as some odd-ball control boards (I think some Vendo machines have this problem) seem to have issues communicating with certain MDB devices.  I've seen some SIID boards that don't want to connect to Coinco MDB coin mechs.  I've heard of people having issue with either credit card readers or payrange to work on Vendo devices and some other older snack machines.

One thing that generally holds true though is that SIID boards are relatively easy to update and most manufacturers have tested their devices to work with SIID boards as well as modern Royal eqiupment.  I think AMS and USI work well with most devices as well.  Most issues seem to be between machines with older MDB technology and newer MDB technology.  The new stuff seems to work fine.  In contrast, USB seems to have been fully standardized since it's implementation....and even if it wasn't, computers download updates easily which is something that vending machines currently do not do as you have to update boards manually (which means getting a new eprom or sending the board off).

I may have complicated matters, but I hope I made things more clear.

No, you can't put card readers on single price machines and it's not worth the expense to try to.  Just go find yourself a multiprice machine that can handle MDB such as a DN with an SIID logic board and then you can do a card reader once it's converted to MDB with a proper harness and maybe a new eprom.

Just a note out of interest more than anything: I picked up a machine today from a site due to a dead fridge deck and generally succumbing to dust and weather. That's a bit of an aside. Anyway, it is my only machine than is single price (I believe, a DN 440) with a Jones plug. Anyway, there is a credit card reader and LCD display on it installed by the previous owner but not hooked up to anything any more. I was curious as to how it would have been connected and function? I will probably try to sell the machine or keep it for parts, so it is a moot point for me, but caught my interest when I was looking into it after I unloaded the machine.

I think they made retrofit boards with MDB connections for single price machines. Very basic, but as long as you can hook everything up and get a wireless signal, it can be done.

Today, it isn't worth the time or money to do that to an old machine.

Archived