Putting a machine in a location with existing machine.

cpassaro

Hello, I am new to the vending business. Looking to start out with most healthy vending targeting gyms, sports complexes ect.  At my home gym where I workout they have one beverage machine and its through Coke.  Whenever a location has a machine or machines from a big company like them or pepsi are they permitted to have other machines in that location?  Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Chris

Hello, I am new to the vending business. Looking to start out with most healthy vending targeting gyms, sports complexes ect.  At my home gym where I workout they have one beverage machine and its through Coke.  Whenever a location has a machine or machines from a big company like them or pepsi are they permitted to have other machines in that location?  Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Chris

That is all up to the location and the agreement that they have with the company.

Agreed, it would depend on what sort of deal they have with the bottler, granted it is bottler owned equipment. Just because a machine has a coke or pepsi front doesn't necessarily mean their respective companies own them.

Find out who is in charge, and find out from them who runs the gear. Barring any contractual arrangements, placing equipment by other operators gear is common practice.

Agreed, it would depend on what sort of deal they have with the bottler, granted it is bottler owned equipment. Just because a machine has a coke or pepsi front doesn't necessarily mean their respective companies own them.

Find out who is in charge, and find out from them who runs the gear. Barring any contractual arrangements, placing equipment by other operators gear is common practice.

The only reason I assumed that it was owned by Coke was because I happened to be there when the machine was being serviced by someone in a Coke uniform.  I just wasn't sure if those bigger companies had a blanket contract that automatically made it so other competitors couldn't have machines placed by theirs.  Will definitely just be talking to who is in charge and finding out for sure.  Greatly appreciate the help!

Why healthy

I personally am very much into working out and living a healthy lifestyle.  Wanted to start out in an area that I have a good bit of knowledge in.  Looking to stock items like protein/energy bars, ready to drink protein shakes ect.  I am located in southern Florida and there is a huge concentration of locations that would make it easy to travel for service.

It is good that you are eating right, but most people aren't.

If you want to make it, then you must stock what people want and sells- fried chips, donuts, Coke, Snickers, etc.

At least if he goes all healthy, he won't have to worry about getting fat while he slowly starves to death.

I suppose if you've got the loc concentration down there to warrant it, it might make sense to go for it in a small-scale sort of way. I wouldn't do "just" the healthy stuff though- I don't know a single operator still in business that did "just" healthy vending. The most laudable operators in that field today are running a quarter or less of their original offerings, and only where it sold really well. Most guys that have "healthy" machines still operational also have good sized accounts with regular snacks and soda keeping them afloat as well.

In short, if you're going into vending, you'll want to diversify and understand the whole business, rather than just try and tackle the one facet of it where success is difficult to achieve at best. Good luck to you sir, whatever direction you choose to go. We're here to help if you need us. ^_^

I suppose if you've got the loc concentration down there to warrant it, it might make sense to go for it in a small-scale sort of way. I wouldn't do "just" the healthy stuff though- I don't know a single operator still in business that did "just" healthy vending. The most laudable operators in that field today are running a quarter or less of their original offerings, and only where it sold really well. Most guys that have "healthy" machines still operational also have good sized accounts with regular snacks and soda keeping them afloat as well.

In short, if you're going into vending, you'll want to diversify and understand the whole business, rather than just try and tackle the one facet of it where success is difficult to achieve at best. Good luck to you sir, whatever direction you choose to go. We're here to help if you need us. ^_^

Yes, I don't think I was clear enough in my original post.  I have no intention on just doing healthy vending.  Definitely looking to diversify.  Only starting with that because I feel I have the locations and connections to make the transition into business as smooth as possible as I am learning.  Thank you all for your feedback! 

Yes, I don't think I was clear enough in my original post.  I have no intention on just doing healthy vending.  Definitely looking to diversify.  Only starting with that because I feel I have the locations and connections to make the transition into business as smooth as possible as I am learning.  Thank you all for your feedback! 

Ah! I see now, very good. ^_^

As you may have seen in our backlogs, many, many, many operators have come with the dream of getting rich quick in the "Healthy Vending Craze" only to lose a lot of time and money. Sorry if we come off a bit harsh, but I've found it's best not to mince words if it saves someone from succumbing to the nightmare and pitfalls of "healthy Vending" and the usual approach to doing it.

So are you targeting Gyms mostly, or do you have other types of spots you're thinking of targeting too?

Ah! I see now, very good. ^_^

As you may have seen in our backlogs, many, many, many operators have come with the dream of getting rich quick in the "Healthy Vending Craze" only to lose a lot of time and money. Sorry if we come off a bit harsh, but I've found it's best not to mince words if it saves someone from succumbing to the nightmare and pitfalls of "healthy Vending" and the usual approach to doing it.

So are you targeting Gyms mostly, or do you have other types of spots you're thinking of targeting too?

Oh I would rather you all be brutally honest than beat around the bush, trust me! As far as for the healthy vending I was planning on sticking to mostly gyms at least in the beginning stages to kind of test the waters and see the response to them. Certainly have other types of locations in mind for when I diversify outside of the healthy vending.

If they have a Coke with normal Coke products then they are probably open to having a snack machine with a mix of both healthy and name brands.  If you are interested in doing the location it would make sense to have both drink and snack.  You might offer to put in a snack if they will give you the drink business too.  Explain you are independent which means you can stock the machine with the products they want from any bottler.  Plus you can stock energy drinks.

We get accounts like this all of the time.  

Oh I would rather you all be brutally honest than beat around the bush, trust me! As far as for the healthy vending I was planning on sticking to mostly gyms at least in the beginning stages to kind of test the waters and see the response to them. Certainly have other types of locations in mind for when I diversify outside of the healthy vending.

That's a very good way to break into it actually. Stick to the usual, and then diversify if and when it's good and clear to do so. I think that's one of the more rational plans I've ever heard form a new operator looking to tangle with healthy vending! Seriously man, good luck! Ask any questions you may have, we're here to help!

288.gif

Archived