Snack box update

bhumphrey829

1 hour ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

My box cost is $7.00... Everything after that is charity and profit. I have a full time job. I definitely look up to you. I have a full time job and am doing vending and that. A lot of time I rely on "recycled product" coming back to help boost up the profit. Would I be too nosy to assume your box cost is $14.00 per box? Thinking about increasing my box size at a few locations myself. Plus you said you knew someone who had the wood looking boxes. I would be interested in that! Thanks Brian. Don't mean to pick your brain. Jerry

Hey Jerry, that's what this forum is for.  You can pick my brain any time you want.  I have had so much valuable help on here I would be lost if I wasn't constantly picking people's brain (right Flint?) lol.  Anyway.  My larger boxes which I have 40 items in cost right at $20.00 to fill up.  Just message me if you want the information on the wood grain  boxes.  Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

4 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

My box cost is $7.00... Everything after that is charity and profit. I have a full time job. I definitely look up to you. I have a full time job and am doing vending and that. A lot of time I rely on "recycled product" coming back to help boost up the profit. Would I be too nosy to assume your box cost is $14.00 per box? Thinking about increasing my box size at a few locations myself. Plus you said you knew someone who had the wood looking boxes. I would be interested in that! Thanks Brian. Don't mean to pick your brain. Jerry

Jerry, how many items are you putting in your box?  $7 box cost seems a little low, but if you are only packing around 20 items, you should be ok.  If you are packing, say, 40 items like Bryan, then $7 is way too low.  Also, I believe that Sheridan Systems sells the wood grain box.

And Bryan is correct, this forum is meant for "brain-picking".  Just be careful not to get any on your fingers....lol!  Be happy to help anyway I can. :) 

13 hours ago, flintflash said:

Jerry, how many items are you putting in your box?  $7 box cost seems a little low, but if you are only packing around 20 items, you should be ok.  If you are packing, say, 40 items like Bryan, then $7 is way too low.  Also, I believe that Sheridan Systems sells the wood grain box.

And Bryan is correct, this forum is meant for "brain-picking".  Just be careful not to get any on your fingers....lol!  Be happy to help anyway I can. :) 

Yes flint I pack 20 items. Sometimes my box cost can creep up to $8.00 if I get excited about trying a new product! Thanks for helping me. Both of you!

No, fone thing I always do whether I am upgrading or placing one for the first time, when I go in the first thing I do is find a spot for the box before I even talk to anyone just so if they do use that "space" objection, I can get around that objection quickly.

I have had a few places that really didn't have the room for a bigger box, so I placed 2 small ones.  They actually keep one behind the counter and when the 1st box is empty, they place the second one out.  I have about 3 or 4 places like this.

But overall the bigger boxes do not take up that much more room.  And you need as many boxes as you can get.  That's where the money's at lol.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:38 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly update:  277 locations. Grossed $1,944.00 Avg.  $19.45 per box.  Theft ran 12%  serviced 100 boxes. (Ran 5 days)

Hey... Wanted to ask you... You connect your crackers together.. Regular tape to connect then together? Small rubber bands? Am I getting close? Currently I have 8 bags of chips, 3 candy bars, 2 cookies, 3 crackers, 2 trail mix, 2 pastries... On a 40 count box.. Do I just double that? Maybe flint wants to chime in too...

I use rubber bands to connect my crackers but my lone competitor down here uses tape.  Tape is probably the  cheaper way to go, but for me rubber bands are quicker.  

As far as product goes, (and this is totally just my opinion), I would not put 16 bags of chips in a box unless you were counting cheez-its, gardettos and munchies as chips.  In my 20 item box, I put 4 bags of the LSS size chips, 1 cheez-it, 1 gardettos, and 1 munchie.  The 1 peanut, 1 kar sweet and salty, 3 "sets" of crackers, and 4 candy bars.  I do not put pastries in my small boxes, but not saying that would not work.  

Flint does not use the small boxes.  His reasoning (and I am not trying to speak for him, but we do have a lot of conversations lol), is because it's easier to keep everything simple for his packers, so they are just in a routine of packing the same amount of items every day, which makes total sense to me, and I may at some point regret using 2 size boxes, but for now it works for me because If I had all big boxes out, I would be throwing away a ton of stales, and since for now I am still packing boxes myself, I do not have a problem with 2 sizes.  I just use a colored index card for my big box locations and a white card for my small boxes.

One more thing on your big box items I would put more cookies than just 4, I put 8 cookies and candies in mine, but as I said earlier, that's just what works for me.  

Let me know if I can answer any more questions

On 2/18/2018 at 2:20 AM, jerrybrooksvendall said:

Hey... Wanted to ask you... You connect your crackers together.. Regular tape to connect then together? Small rubber bands? Am I getting close? Currently I have 8 bags of chips, 3 candy bars, 2 cookies, 3 crackers, 2 trail mix, 2 pastries... On a 40 count box.. Do I just double that? Maybe flint wants to chime in too...

23 hours ago, bhumphrey829 said:

I use rubber bands to connect my crackers but my lone competitor down here uses tape.  Tape is probably the  cheaper way to go, but for me rubber bands are quicker.  

As far as product goes, (and this is totally just my opinion), I would not put 16 bags of chips in a box unless you were counting cheez-its, gardettos and munchies as chips.  In my 20 item box, I put 4 bags of the LSS size chips, 1 cheez-it, 1 gardettos, and 1 munchie.  The 1 peanut, 1 kar sweet and salty, 3 "sets" of crackers, and 4 candy bars.  I do not put pastries in my small boxes, but not saying that would not work.  

Flint does not use the small boxes.  His reasoning (and I am not trying to speak for him, but we do have a lot of conversations lol), is because it's easier to keep everything simple for his packers, so they are just in a routine of packing the same amount of items every day, which makes total sense to me, and I may at some point regret using 2 size boxes, but for now it works for me because If I had all big boxes out, I would be throwing away a ton of stales, and since for now I am still packing boxes myself, I do not have a problem with 2 sizes.  I just use a colored index card for my big box locations and a white card for my small boxes.

One more thing on your big box items I would put more cookies than just 4, I put 8 cookies and candies in mine, but as I said earlier, that's just what works for me.  

Let me know if I can answer any more questions

Right now, I think using 2 different boxes for both of you is a smart idea.  It allows you to "grow" into an account, and since you are packing the boxes yourself and running the route, you have a much better control over which box should go to which account.  With the amount of boxes my packing line packs daily and the amount of accounts my route drivers service, 2 different size boxes would slow both down and be challenging to manage.  That's why we go with one standard box for our accounts.  We pack 10-12 bags of LSS chips in our boxes (NOT counting Gardettos or Cheez-its) because we have found that chips are a high volume item for us.  However, I am constantly beating up my suppliers for the best dates possible, and will even reject orders that have shorter shelf-life. 

As far as the crackers are concerned, I would avoid banding or taping 2 packages together as I think it can look unprofessional.  I am still at $1.00, which I believe Jerry, you are as well.  We have no problem receiving $1.00 for the crackers.  Bryan, you are at $1.25, so I would suggest either dumping the crackers all together OR move up to the Keebler 8 count packs.  That is what I intend to do when we eventually go to $1.25.  Vistar carries the 8 pack crackers and if you talk to Sam's, they may be able to order it for you too.  That's just my 2 cents. :) 

15 hours ago, flintflash said:

Right now, I think using 2 different boxes for both of you is a smart idea.  It allows you to "grow" into an account, and since you are packing the boxes yourself and running the route, you have a much better control over which box should go to which account.  With the amount of boxes my packing line packs daily and the amount of accounts my route drivers service, 2 different size boxes would slow both down and be challenging to manage.  That's why we go with one standard box for our accounts.  We pack 10-12 bags of LSS chips in our boxes (NOT counting Gardettos or Cheez-its) because we have found that chips are a high volume item for us.  However, I am constantly beating up my suppliers for the best dates possible, and will even reject orders that have shorter shelf-life. 

As far as the crackers are concerned, I would avoid banding or taping 2 packages together as I think it can look unprofessional.  I am still at $1.00, which I believe Jerry, you are as well.  We have no problem receiving $1.00 for the crackers.  Bryan, you are at $1.25, so I would suggest either dumping the crackers all together OR move up to the Keebler 8 count packs.  That is what I intend to do when we eventually go to $1.25.  Vistar carries the 8 pack crackers and if you talk to Sam's, they may be able to order it for you too.  That's just my 2 cents. :) 

So are pastries an Overkill for a box? I was thinking ordering zingers for my boxes from vistar.

6 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

So are pastries an Overkill for a box? I was thinking ordering zingers for my boxes from vistar.

I use pastries in my larger boxes, they do not have a very long shelf life, but I rarely get any back so I do not have many stales at all

12 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

5 hours ago, bhumphrey829 said:

I use pastries in my larger boxes, they do not have a very long shelf life, but I rarely get any back so I do not have many stales at all

I think right now for both of you, pastries would work.  Obviously, the date becomes an issue, so definitely be very selective.  We don't put pastries in all our boxes, but instead give them to a select few.  In order for an account to receive pastries they must: 1. be a high volume account that will have a high probability of eating them and; 2. be a great payer, no shortage issues.  Many accounts say that they would love to have danishes and pastries, but I believe that it is just an impulse; pastries sound good to them that day, but in reality they don't really purchase them.

On 2/23/2018 at 3:25 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly update:  282 locations:  Grossed $1,893.00  Avg   $22.25  Theft ran 13%  serviced 85 locations

Hi Gator, i been look at your updates for awhile, I wanted to ask. When i take Honor Boxes for mints i usually just run in with the box when i pitch. Do you do the same with snack boxes?

On 2/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, flintflash said:

I think right now for both of you, pastries would work.  Obviously, the date becomes an issue, so definitely be very selective.  We don't put pastries in all our boxes, but instead give them to a select few.  In order for an account to receive pastries they must: 1. be a high volume account that will have a high probability of eating them and; 2. be a great payer, no shortage issues.  Many accounts say that they would love to have danishes and pastries, but I believe that it is just an impulse; pastries sound good to them that day, but in reality they don't really purchase them.

Well out placing boxes and ran into flint flashes box.......I kept going as soon as I saw that!

10 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

Well out placing boxes and ran into flint flashes box.......I kept going as soon as I saw that!

Where have you been selling Jerry?  Downtown metro Detroit is wide open.  We don't really go down there yet, mainly because of the traffic we hit coming from Flint.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:21 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly update:  293 locations.  Grossed $1,962.00  Avg.  $21.80 per box.  Theft ran 7%  serviced 90 boxes.  Ran 4 days.

You are rapidly approaching that 300 account mark, Bryan!  EXCELLENT week for you!  Keep it up, buddy!  :)