Snack box update

bhumphrey829

8 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

Hi Brian. Hey wanted to ask you a question. You pack all your boxes the previous day... I'm guessing. When you transport your boxes. Do you carry them in totes? Cardboard boxes? Something else? Because that's a lot of trays in one vehicle if that's a non stop route.i only (don't laugh) carry 2 to 4 at a time in totes. Mine are local and not 50 miles out like you spoke of. Thanks Jerry.

Hey Jerry, I have someone that packs my boxes the previous  day.  I do not us sleeves (although I probably should), and I do not use totes.  And no, it's not a non stop route, my updates are for the whole week.  I carry between 20-30 boxes on a route each day.  I run my routes in a Hyundai tuscon.  And I can get about 40 boxes (mixture of small and large ones) in there

On 12/14/2018 at 3:38 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly update:  342 locations.  Grossed $1,678.00  Avg.  $19.00 per box.  Theft ran 19%.  Serviced 88 locations, (ran 4 days)

Looking good, Buddy!  Looking good!  :) Have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year, my friend!  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, I am just getting started to the vending game and read this whole thread today. I bought my first UTurn machine today and am still deciding what direction my business will take. I have to say, your journey has been super inspiring! Thank you so very much for all the transparency with your business (cost per box, average gross revenue produced per box, typical net revenue generated, etc) as well as giving out weekly updates for 2+ years in the same thread. You and Jerry and the other guys on this thread have given me a whole new respect/appreciation for the many different types of vending businesses out there. Not everybody can put $500-$1,000+ down on a big full line machine. 

I hope your business (and all the other guys on here) continues to grow and prosper!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, TheOldGoat said:

Brian, I am just getting started to the vending game and read this whole thread today. I bought my first UTurn machine today and am still deciding what direction my business will take. I have to say, your journey has been super inspiring! Thank you so very much for all the transparency with your business (cost per box, average gross revenue produced per box, typical net revenue generated, etc) as well as giving out weekly updates for 2+ years in the same thread. You and Jerry and the other guys on this thread have given me a whole new respect/appreciation for the many different types of vending businesses out there. Not everybody can put $500-$1,000+ down on a big full line machine. 

I hope your business (and all the other guys on here) continues to grow and prosper!

Thanks for the kind words, sir.  If you need any help with information don't hesitate to ask.There are a lot of people on here with a lot of knowledge about vending.  You may also private message if you do not want to ask a question on a thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

weekly updates:  334 locations  Grossed $2,444.25  Avg.  $21.25  Theft ran 15%  serviced 115 locations.  (ran 5 days)

GREAT cash collected!  Awesome box average too!  Keep up the EXCELLENT work!  :) 

3 hours ago, flintflash said:

GREAT cash collected!  Awesome box average too!  Keep up the EXCELLENT work!  :) 

Thanks, Tony.  By the way, I am going to give you a shout in a few days if that's okay.  I  have a couple of questions to run by you.

20 hours ago, bhumphrey829 said:

Thanks, Tony.  By the way, I am going to give you a shout in a few days if that's okay.  I  have a couple of questions to run by you.

No problem, buddy!  I should be around here the rest of the week.  :)

On 1/25/2019 at 8:17 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly update:  332 locations.  Grossed $2,115.00  Avg.  $18.65 per box.  Theft ran 7%  serviced 114 locations, (ran 5 days)

Wow!  7% shortage?  Someone must have cut you a nice check for some back shortage.  GREAT week as always!  :)

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:26 AM, bhumphrey829 said:

... i am still learning the ins and outs of the business.  It would be a lot easier if there more people on this forum that did this type of business, but most of them do the mint boxes, so I'm pretty limited on the "brains" to pick on here for information, so it's kind of like trial by fire right now, although I absolutely love what i do and can't imagine doing anything else...

I have the same business model: small and a few medium snack boxes.... all snacks, no chips. I have a good day job, but the boxes are my part time side hustle: approx 3 dozen locations and only roughly 6 hr/wk (4 hrs route placing/exchanging boxes and 2 hrs re-stocking, purchasing, accounting, etc). The part time status limits the biz types where I can place boxes and the type of product I can sell. Just in case it gives you any ideas, though, I do basically the following...

-nearly all small Cameron boxes with approx 65-70 snacks (yes, you can fit that many, see below), a few Sheridan big plain white boxes with approx. 120-140 snacks at my longstanding places with low theft after they prove themselves as a weekly exchange Cameron box for awhile

-no chips at all due to too much space taken in small box, grease marks on box, short exp dates, unhealthy... I use a few Veg Straws and Cracker Jack with mixed success

-snacks mostly from Sams, some grocery store, some dollar store

-punched reinforced holes with zip tie on the box right side flap to discourage theft

-most items $1.00 (full size candy, cookies, crackers, trail mix, fruit snacks, granola bars, etc) ... some 50c items (fun size candy, peanuts, Slim Jim, 5pk gum... and any $1.00 items I need to "clearance")

-dot price labels on each item... costs less than 1c per, makes for no question of price, and may help discourage theft

-Vistaprint color labels ("rack cards") for box top (over cut-out cash drop slot) stating business name and email, "thank you" and "enjoy your snack"... biz cards with biz name and email to pass out and to tape to box front, t-shirt for doing my route

-Tri-fold brochures brochure (email, pic of boxes, "healthy snacks," "no contract," "no obligation," "pay only for what you take," etc) that I designed and print myself and leave for the potential new accounts if mgr in charge isn't available when I stop in. I want to get these professionally done in color, but it is not worth it unless I was full time.

-No charity affiliation... I don't want that recurring expense and I find charity affiliation phony. I realize hyping the charity connection puts pressure on the location to accept the box, but pressure is the enemy of pleasure. I want people who are receptive and genuinely interested in my product (good snacks, healthy options, good service), since that means they'll help promote and take care of the box.

-sales pitch and people skill is key, so perhaps I over-invest in marketing and slick appearance, but it works for me... usually can place a box for every 4-5 businesses approached. My pitch is under one minute (basically just recite my brochure), and Q&A conversation with manager is 2-3min tops. They either want it or they don't. You have to read that and respect their time.

-exchange most boxes every 2 weeks (new accounts checked on in 1 week to build rapport and learn volume, slower boxes every 3-4 weeks). Boxes that are routinely more than half empty in 2 weeks and have low theft can become a weekly exchange or even a large size box

-new box goes in, grab old box and drop labeled card in cash slot so I will know where box was, say hi to manager, and on to next spot... back home, cut zip ties to count money and re-stock boxes

-drop any account with "3 strikes" (25% or more shortage) in 3 months; I don't give any notice or warnings before dropping (I think they'd just steal more), and besides, manager has my card so they can email me if they really want box back (none have)

-pretty minimal accounting... I just try to weed out very slow volume or very high theft locations and pinpoint any very poor seller or frequently expiring snacks, but I don't change snack assortments too much. Variety and speed is key.

-current box arrange is 70 snacks: one column has 1 cracker jack, 15 full size candy bars, 6 cookie (oreo/nutter), 6 crackers, 8 fun size candy, 4 slim jim... other column gets 2 veg straws, 2 david seed, 4 trail mix, 3 fruit snack, 6 oat honey gran, 3 raisin gran, 4 nutria grain, 6 peanuts, 2 gum. Yes, you can really fit all that comfortably in a Cameron box. I make a few notes and adjust the boxes a bit if something is selling very well at one place or based on what my stock levels are, but I keep them with  70 items (50 dollar and 20 that are 50c) to make the accounting of my gross and theft % quick and easy.

...I enjoy the snack boxes. I think the cheap charity boxes or gumball/mech machines are too much hustle and driving and too high initial investment for me, and I really feel people buy those suckers/mints more from pity for a (basically false) charity affiliation or buy a gumball to quiet a whining kid. I prefer the snacks that people actually want and some healthy options. Full machine vending obviously can't be part time (unless it is a pop and snack machine inside an office you own). I'm sure glad vending offers something for everyone, though.

I don't make nearly the per hour from snack boxes that I do at my day job, but the snack box route is fun for me. It also lets me have treats to give out at office, basketball league, etf. It would definitely be the ideal part time retirement job in my opinion... esp if you go to a new area and want to meet some people around town. Keep up the good work! I think you are doing really well with this thread and enjoyed it; only read the first few and last few pages, but I will check back once in awhile.

Edited by FlyGuy