Finally went locating

Zero32700

I didnt get any locations, but I feel good about it. I only went to about 5 places. The first was a chinese place and I bet I could of got the location, he said they used to have one but it didnt do any business... I didnt really belive him but he wished me luck. Gave me a confidance boost and when I left I was like damn I bet I could have talked him into it.

I went into another chinese place and they guy pretended he didnt speak english. After trying to communicate I pointed to a small rack already there and he acted like he didnt get it.

I went into an antique shop which I am going to try and locate, but I have a plan if they say no... I need input if its a good or bad idea. First Ill tell you they have a machine in there, but it is for sale. I was going to ask and if they say no ask if I could buy that one and leave it there? Sounds like an ok idea to me.

The machine is a triple head, two candy slots on the outside and a 2 in capsul compartment in the middle. Sounds like a machine that would do good in a certain location. I hear about 1 in capsuls alot, but not two. What do you guys put in them? The machine has 25 cent tags on all compartments. The price tag on it said $95.

What do you guys think as a back up plan? A waste or no?

Zero,

Congrats on getting out there and giving it a go! The first few times you try are the hardest. After a while it will become second nature to you and you will be trying to locate machines where ever you go, even if that wasn't the reason you visited a place!

Let me give you my thoughts on your experiences...

The first was a chinese place and I bet I could of got the location, he said they used to have one but it didnt do any business...

If, or I should say when this happens again, remind them that it doesn't matter how much business the machine does. Your chosen charity receives both financial and visual benefit from all placements. Explain that you pay a royalty to the charity for each and every machine you have out regardless of how much it makes. Unless you have a commission based location, it shouldn't matter to him at all how much your machine brings in. 

I went into another chinese place and they guy pretended he didnt speak English. After trying to communicate I pointed to a small rack already there and he acted like he didnt get it.

I bet he would have miraculously spoken fluent English if you wanted to place and order for crab Rangoon! The lesson here is, in this instance, become a paying customer first. It will be hard for him to act like he does not understand you if you are trying to fork over some cash.

I went into an antique shop which I am going to try and locate, but I have a plan if they say no... I need input if its a good or bad idea. First Ill tell you they have a machine in there, but it is for sale. I was going to ask and if they say no ask if I could buy that one and leave it there?

Once again, you may benefit if you become a customer first. If the machine is worth it, offer to buy it. Explain to them what you do and tell them you would be happy to get that big eyesore of a machine out of their store and replace it with a smaller "antique style" machine that will compliment their decor. Let them know that you can provide nostalgic candies to further compliment and they will be helping a wonderful cause as well.

Hope you find some encouragement in all of this. Keep up the good work my friend!

Steve  

Great advice Steve,

I even tried to locate a machine myself a few days ago when i did my nails - I let them know that in a couple of weeks I will have a machine and would they let me place it but they said no because of space.  I do agree that there place was small but I saw a few places that the machine would fit a single.  I didn't get into it more by trying to change their minds as the picture I brought she showed it to her husband and they spoke in their language and i do believe he made the decision. 

Even though i did not have the machine as yet I thought no big deal since i do go there for service at least once a mth.  Don't know if i should have done it differently, but at least I took a chance and i didn't feel so bad. 

I have also been scoping my neighborhood lately, it's amazing how many machines are out there once you start to pay attention.

Anyway - I will keep at it since I am definite this will be a future success for me!

Thx! SHEN

Shen,

Thats great. It will come easier as you go. Human brains are very sophisticated things. They constantly learn from each experience as they happen. Your brain has taken what it has learned from your location attempt and it will quickly adapt to handle the next attempt more smoothly. It wont happen by the next attempt as it is a gradual process but your brain will take something from each try, then come up with a better solution for the next go-around. The beauty in all of this is that it happens naturally, with out any effort on your part, well except for you actually making the attempt.

The problem with this is that the location owners have a brain as well. Their brain has, and still is, learning from each vendors attempt to place a machine. Dont ever think that you are the first person to ask for that location. Chances are there have been many, many attempts. Thats something that we all should think about when we go in to talk to the location owner. Once we get into that mindset we may just understand the reasoning behind the "NO" and adapt to get a different answer. After all, anything other than "NO" is a positive! Even an "F-YOU BUDDY, YOU ARE NOT PUTTING THAT CRAP IN MY STORE!" is better than "NO" because it gives you something to work with. It will allow you to hear his objections and formulate a plan of action.

well enough with the psychology today. :shock:

Just have fun and good luck!

Steve

I would be very interested to see if an antique shop has enough foot traffic to support a machine. It's one type of business we have never placed or even had on the radar screen. We have machines in large furniture stores, mostly in the break rooms. I'm very curious to see how things work out for you.

Don't be discouraged if you go 0 for 5 or 0 for 50 when locating. I always remind myself that the year Babe Ruth hit all those homeruns he also lead the league in strikeouts! You'll forget about all those no's as soon as you get a yes. After all people will ask how many did you place not how many said no.

Best of luck,

Philo

Well in my area there is an "antique mile" or "antique district" or something. There are about 12 aniques stores within 3 miles, and half of them are in the middle within a mile or each other. The one I was looking into is always packed, and I am going to hit up a couple more just to see.