Staying Positive

BluePlate

I thought I would share this story........

I was recently at a holiday party, a second cousin I haven't seen in a long time was there.  I started to tell him about my bulk vending venture.  The first thing out of his mouth was "I bet you get alot stolen machine "  The next was "They probably get smashed up often" and the next was "You find a lot of slugs in there?" - I think this is an example of a person who could never run a vending machine, he would stay up all night worrying about broken machines and slugs.  It would paralyze him!

My question to the board is, does your family think your nuts for doing this (specially the part time people)? Next,  What do you do to stay positive? (I count quarters when I'm feeling down:D)

Those people are negative energy drain type people. They would never venture into a business with that kind of thinking. They just seem to drain all the good ideas out of what you are doing by their fears. My family does not really think either way about my vending as it is just a part time thing to them. They do not have much of an idea about how my route runs. They might be able to find and service my route if I was incapicated but able to talk them through it. Other then that they have no real clue what a good average is per machine or how much I make each service. Positive is a state of mind we all need to strive for everyday.

My wife supports me and has become my #1 fan. She's thrilled to see it the business succeed and believes in my ability to run a profitable business. My parents are so happy to see that I found a business I enjoy. If things go poorly, they are willing to loan me money to see us through the rough parts. My in laws don't know :)

I get alot of doubters. I'm used to that. There are doubters everywhere. I tune them out. If they knew what it took to succeed, they'd be doing it. Since they can't succeed, why should I care what they think is possible?

The naysayers are everywhere, and they will continue to say it can't be done, even as you do it in front of them. Sometimes I have to remind myself:

"Don't teach pigs to sing. It only makes them angry, and wastes your time." Teaching someone how to run a business is only rewarding if they have the drive and intelligence. Otherwise it is like teaching a pig to sing, they do not want to learn, and you will gain nothing.

When I told my parents I was going to sell currency in an online video game so I could buy a car.... they didn't believe it until the money was in the bank. They have more faith in me now as I start vending :)

My parents and aunt, even one of my best friends thought that I was nuts at first, but when they started seeing more locations popping up, and the actual sacks of money i was bringing home after a few hours work they became a little more receptive.  My fiancee, although she never doubted me, travels with me too and she saw for herself real fast as well when she counts the $ for me after i service each location.

You will always have loss/spoilage/theft etc. in any business.  It is the cost of being in business.  If you want to be 100% safe and always get 100% of your money, then sticking with your employee-type job is the best way to go.  There is a price for security, as well, and that cost in my opinion far exceeds the benefits of having no limits on what you can make.  I would tell that to any negative thinking family member and let them stew about it.

That is why I am ready to go full time next year as I stated in my goals.  A little theft and a few slugs are all part of the game, and non-performing locations can always be replaced.  I'll gladly trade that for an unlimited potential as a business owner.

Sorry for getting on a soapbox, I read Robert Kiyosaki again recently... :)  Got thinking all like the Rich Dad or something.

My wife is still a little doubtful. She thinks what is a few quarters going to do for us. She has yet to realize that if things go well, a few quarters can turn into a nice little part-time income, especially if you take into account the low cost of investment and the relatively low amount of time needed to do this biz. Hopefully, in a few months, she will see the "big" picture.

When I hear my friends and aquaintences say such things, I am secretely happy inside.  That means I know they will not want to get any bright ideas and try out this vending thing for themselves.  I already have enough competition out there.  I'm not going to try and 'talk-up' my vending business to anybody... even friends and family.  If they can't see the benefit of the business, then that's their problem and my gain.

We have some family friends that spend a lot of money and energy in real estate.  They recently sold some property in NY, NY, and had to roll the equity in to another piece of property or else they would have to pay heavy tax penalties.  Anyways, they purchased into a small strip mall for over $1M and it's over 1 hour away, and they are having nothing but troubles with it.  They normally do rental houses, and I've heard so many horror stories about how their properties are always being damaged by the renters and that they never pay rent on time, etc, etc.  Yet these are the same people that would scoff at my vending business because it produces too little income for the amount of time and energy that I put into it.

I guess that's why there are so many different types of businesses out there.  Not everybody likes to do the same thing.  You can try selling your cousin some Amway.  He might like that instead.  :P

LIke always they will be negative and tell you this is a waste of time. Then the money starts rolling in, then they change their state of thought. The negatives all they care about is money, they don't know how rewarding it can be, and the experiences that can be gain.

Im in the middle of keeping myself motivated since noone around me really supports the idea either. MY fiance says she supports me but whenevver vending comes up the conversation changes or it gets tabled.I just keep going over the facts and im ok after that. Its a BUSINESS and by definition an entrepeneur is a RISK TAKER. I wont get rich overnight. I've found with things like this you have to be your own biggest fan even after its proven to work.

Thats how it was with my mobile car care business. Everyone thought I was nuts (fiance included) up until I started having an average ticket of $65.

I have a lot of doubters in my family also, My uncle who supports me starting a full line vending business thinks that there is no money to be made in bulk, the rest of my family thinks that is is not profitable. The thing that i always try to remember is that it is my future and my business, there is always going to be people who are going to tell you that you cant do something, but I think it will be fun to see all those same people coming back later on when my buisness is making a lot of money, asking me what i do and how i do it.

My dad had actually did vending part time, and I remember helping him out with the route every once in a while. This is how I realized that I can actually make some good money part time. I will admit though that it took some energy to convince my wife to let me go ahead with it. Of course, I may have went ahead with it anyways! :P

• 1 month later...

I have great support from all of my family .

You will always hear some one put it down but that don't bother me at all.You have to believe in what your doing . But you know I really never had any one say any thing to me in my face about it tho.

It might be a few quarters but when I tell some one I paid my Jeep with quarters they can't believe it.

Just this pass Friday I made a deposit of $1062.00 in quaters !! That was just 2 days of working too. AH!! life is good !!!!