Spoilage

golpher

I check mine after three months. If it looks cracked or faded, it doesn' t mean it is stale but it give that impression. Taste the candy yourself. My wife loves cracked faded candy. LOL

How long does candy last in storage? I bought several bags of PMM's when I heard the cost was going up, but wondering if they will be stale by the time I use them up?

Check the expiration date on the bag. Usually it is good for 6 months if it is sealed. After that, I wouldn't put it in a machine that could sit for a few months.

Andy, the best way to test is just like bacho said, do the taste and look test. 

David, I believe Mars said M&Ms can last a year in the bag if stored properly (in a dry cool place) but  try to get them out much faster than that. 

M&M's are reported to be good for a year. The exp code was the first set of numbers. First digit was year made and next was the week made. I was going to get the last of the cheap ones here but someone beat me to it.

Also look for candy discoloration. This especially is true with runts and skittles. Best way though is to test them and eat some. Also consider the harshness of your environment. Candy/gum can sometimes look like its OK but temperature extremes can ruin the product even before there is a visible sign. A good temperature/humidity controlled envirnoment will definitely last longer.