Who has drinks only accounts

cashman

Hi all.

Just thinking out loud here and seeing if anyone is of the same thought as me. I do full line and bulk vending 50/50 pretty much even split. I have been thinking about getting rid of my snack machines ( less work /hassles /stock . Better margins ). Just do drink machines /Bulk. Now I know people are going to reply that I'm going to loss accounts ( I agree . Will lose a few ). I'm also thinking because of this I could go longer service cycles because my drink machines hold a lot of product , bare in mind I don't run the big accounts ( don't want them / the hassle ) really just looking for a more flexible cycle. Hope this make sense to you. Thoughts ? Someone on here must be on my train of thought .

I love my drink only accounts, less hassle , longer service cycle, and faster to service... But when I see a perspective account that only had a drink machine I will win it over most of the time because I will offer snacks.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I honestly would have thought there would be more then this discussing this .

What you're contemplating is a double edged sword.  While it's true that we'd all much rather do soda only accounts,  the high volume accounts will always demand the snack machine otherwise we'd only be left with low volume tire shops etc. that will never merit a snack machine - you'd be lucky to gross $200 a month on most of these while the soda machines that gross the big numbers always require the snack machine.

I have an account that is at a homeless center, it is drinks only. As you can imagine, this location is brutal on the equipment. I have 2 Royal 768's next to each other. I have to service them about every 10 days. The account does anywhere between $2000-3000 per month, depending on the weather, and the economy, with robust business during the 1st of the month when everybody has money. The machines are set for .75 per can, and I'm in the product for about .35 each. No commission, however, I do make contributions to the shelter. I don't know if I would consider glass front snack machines for the obvious reason. I've had this location for a good 12 years, and we've never brought up snack machines, so I just let that sleeping dog lay.

I have an account that is at a homeless center, it is drinks only. As you can imagine, this location is brutal on the equipment. I have 2 Royal 768's next to each other. I have to service them about every 10 days. The account does anywhere between $2000-3000 per month, depending on the weather, and the economy, with robust business during the 1st of the month when everybody has money. The machines are set for .75 per can, and I'm in the product for about .35 each. No commission, however, I do make contributions to the shelter. I don't know if I would consider glass front snack machines for the obvious reason. I've had this location for a good 12 years, and we've never brought up snack machines, so I just let that sleeping dog lay.

. I believe a snack machine is a no-brainier there.

Do you need a licence or paperwork from the city to place a gumball machine or soda machine in the shelter?

Do you need paper work or liecence to place a gumball machine or soda machine in the shelter?

Do you need a licence or paperwork from the city to place a gumball machine or soda machine in the shelter?

Golf dogs - while on the surface the location may appear to be a "no brainer" the decision not to pursue snack vending is based upon the clientele of the location. You would have to be there to believe it. The majority of the guests at the shelter are homeless due to mental issues, lawlessness, or those that are temporary down on their luck. Glass front snack machines, whether caged or not, just don't warrant the liability issues versus the profit. As with most others, I am in it for the profit, and if I thought that the risk was worth the payoff, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think this is a time you would just have to use a greater degree of discretion. Mr. Shades - I can only talk about my locality. I have a business license for the city that I operate in, and a state resale permit, nothing else is needed, other than permission of the shelter. I would never consider a rack or gum ball set at this location, due to the high theft, and the ongoing level of violence that I have seen by the guests. I saw the owner of the pay phones replace the phones on many occasions, eventually removing them. I believe the same would occur if my machines were not quality vendors that weigh in at 1200-1300 pounds when stocked up.

I try to do soda and snack only acts. Soda only would probably be a crappy place (under $200). Any place that makes $300 + id put a snack machine and the place would boost to $500 plus. Snacks are wayyyy more profitable for me. I average about 35% cogs on snacks where drinks im at 40%. If you have an act making over 2k in just drinks ur risking someone taking it offering a snack machine. Thats very easy to take over. If your making 3k a month in that place a snack machine would boost you to an easy 4k+ if you want to save by taking off an essential piece of vending to save gas i would rethink being in vending period. Ive done bulk and you cant compare making $15-$50 a month in one place than $1500-$3000 in cash for going to one place once a week.

Thanks all for the replies. Honestly like i said in the beginning i'm not looking to land top notch accounts with this thought process just looking for some hamburger account that'll bring $100-200 a month looking to make life less busy and less stock to handle, that is one of the reason I do like bulk. longer service cycles and more time between if I want to take a day or so off. For the guys that want the big dollar accounts that you have to run to if something goes wrong , have at it and good for you, just not what I'm looking for right now (probably never will ) . To anyone that does have thoughts on drink only accounts please let me know how often your losing accounts to the snack drink companies.

I will say this, I do think ALOT of locations are good drink location but not worthy snack locations.

That's the nice thing about owning a small business, you get to make it the way you want it... as long as it pays the bills and makes you enough money, go for it.   You have done snack vending and know the pros and cons now.  If you have some accounts that you know you will lose if you pull snacks, why not find another vendor in your area and sell them to him up front?  Make someone a deal and you come out ahead as well...

Archived