actually refer to and use!

I have a few on the street coming up on 3 weeks now, and

placed eight more this last week. No problems so far.  I'm

keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Everyplace I've got them are high traffic mostly adult

oriented businesses.

I use Mother's Mag Polish to clean and restore mine. Makes

'em look brand new!

What kind of Headlight Restoration cleaner are you using?

Last time I looked it was awful expensive here.

I hope to have some time this next weekend to do some

more locating. Got my eye on several businesses close to

me where Triples would be perfect.

They are easy to take care of aren't they? I hope the

machines I purchase in the future are just as easy!

Good luck with your enterprise.

Dave

Now I will post a post that people can refer to and use:

To anyone who has seen OLD vendstars, and vendstars period, you will most likely notice 1 thing: Broken Chute doors. 1.50 to replace those, not a price problem, but a safety problem. When I kid/adult breaks it off, and a piece files up and cuts his face? Or it breads off into a sharp point and cuts someone? A big problem there.

Craig knows what he is doing. What is funny about stopping you from making a mistake? I don't see  Spending good money on bad Vendstars.

I really want to buy one and see what the big deal is about. I see vendstars in 90% of my locations, and all I see is yellowing, broken chute doors, and broken coin mechs.

Take that, think about it, and respond. Everyone has there right to there opinion. Now if I called you a stupid vendor, or a fool for buying vendstars, that would be bashing you. BUT I AM NOT, I am stressing an opinion, not bashing you for buying them.

Kyle

Lurker,

Yes they seem to be great.  Very east to maintain and take care of.  Mine are also in pretty high traffic areas and they have stood up to the abuse by kids turning and jamming nickels in as i much them in of the offices.  I have 10 spare chute doors i got off ebay for 8 dollars, with springs so cant complain if they break.

I have found car products work great on these machines,plastic restorer etc.  My buddy has a detail business so thats when he told me use the headlight restore kit, he told me to check out http://www.mdwholesale.com/ which has it on trhe front page io beloiebve 15.95. Not to sure what he said he used, may be that, forgot.  Of course i do notice filling them is a little pricey at first to dish out, 30 bucks maybe. but as long as u put 3 greast choices, more variety, more sales.

Havent read ALL of previous posts so sorry if i am off track.

Maybe I need to be a bit more clear.

I really want to buy one and see what the big deal is about. I see vendstars in 90% of my locations, and all I see is yellowing, broken chute doors, and broken coin mechs.

Kyle,

• Post your review only about items you have personally used. If you know someone who has used an item and they did not like it, do not post a negative review. Ask your friend to join and post his or her own review.

There are a few really good posts here that actually review the equipment in question. Unfortunately it would prove somewhat difficult to weed through all of the opinions from those who do not actually own a Vendstar. Opinions on the machine are welcome but please use the proper forum. If you have a negative "opinion" of these machines, by all means let us all know about it in the bulk section. That way members who want to make a decision based on hard facts, instead of opinions, can have a place to come and make up their own minds. 

This thread is for reviews from people who have "hands on" experience with the machine. By "hands on" I  mean those of you who have actually plunked down their hard earned money for one of these, filled them with candy, found a location, transported the machine, and serviced the machine. Those are the people who should be posting in this thread.

Steve

Vendstars, even old Vendstars are not unlike any other

vending machine. If you don't maintain it it will look bad. It

may require a different type of maintanence, but in the end

it all works out the same. My Vendstars are two years old

already, (I was told), and all they required was some

cleaning, and polishing. Some of the canisters that were

exposed to sunlight, for obviously quit a while, have

yellowed. Thus my need to use a chemical to restore them.

Kyle, thanks for your opinion. I don't personally share it, so

we will have to agree to disagree.;)

Peace man!

Scobrien, Thanks for that link to M D Wholesale, I'm gunna

git me sum o' dat. Will post back here again after I have

tried it out.

Oh and yea I agree filling a machine can add up quick.

I allowed for it though, but then I got seven locations at

once. (Believe me, I'm not complaining here).

We were driving back from Sam's the first time we bought

our supplies, and I had spent $237.00 on candy. That's a

couple weeks grocerys at my house! I looked at my wife

and said holy crap, what did I just do? :?

It's all working out great now though!

Thanks again everybody, and I really do mean everybody,

who has posted to this thread.

I know what you are saying and I AM listening, even though

it may not seem like it.;)

Dave

My Vendstar Experience....

Pros

Very Easy to Set Up

Easy to maintain, Clean. ( As long as you keep up with it)

Light Weight for moving

Three Compartments, more choices, more candy. (Most people say 2 are better i find having more choices for customers is better, as long as all 3 are favorites.)

Easy to change candy in and out

Yes it is plastic but spare parts are cheap off of ebay if they do break.

No rust, except the pole which is covered by a sleeve.

Low priced machine. $50.00 & <

Cons

Quarters get stuck on candy shoot. Dont make it down to collection tray.**

Containers will turn yellow. (if you let it get that bad, but also easy to clean)

Plastic - durabilty question when kids are rough with machine. (no problems however)

To change vend amount after filling up, no candy can be in the containers. ( need to make a cover of some sort for the container)**

** = the really biggest problem i have with them otherwise great so far!

Hi Kyle,

Looks like everyone else is offline.  I love this site, it has kept me informed and entertained.  I don't own a Vendstar but don't know enough good or bad info to share either way. I do however own 64 Uturns and I absolutely love them. I've been in the business since May of last year and my husband and run the business part-time. We love the vending business and plan to grow the business to 300-500 machines.

How long have you been in the business?

Veronica

Wow!!  How the heck did I miss this thread and all the interesting posts?  I can see myself eating lots of popcorn reading these posts!.....lol

Hey Dave........I love your passion and way of speaking buddy.  I am definitely interested in how it goes with you and the machines you use.

OK

Hope I'm not the one being baited here.:)

This will be a concise review of Vendstars (as I see them).

Although I can't add much to what has already been posted.

PROS

Color - OK, OK, I know almost everybody hates the "dull"

color but I think it makes an ordinary candy machine look

upscale when it's not the bright red, or flourescent yellow,

that I see so much of. When polished the machines actually

shine!

Besides my house trim is a dark graphite gray. I like the

color.

Light weight and easy to carry around. When you have a

bad back like me and have to carry machines out of the

house, put them in your vehicle, take them out, carry them

into the location, etc... weight is a concern. Light weight

means easy to carry & move around, and no dollies or

two-wheelers.

3 Seperate Canisters for a larger selection of product, in a

realatively small footprint. Bottom line... larger selection

equals more sales, but only up to a certain point. Bear in

mind, as with any vending machine, the location has to

support it.

Coin Trays for each compartment are seperate also, to help

in tracking sales.

Canisters are easy to switch out, with or without candy,

when servicing the machines.

No exposed metal / No rust visible to public.

Heavy duty stand will not leave rust spots on location floor.

Product visable only from front of machine. I know most

everyone would list this as a con. First, it is my firm belief

that the less light the product is exposed to, the longer it

will last. Second, I look on it as an opportunity. I use the

additional space on the sides of the machines to add cup

dispensers, brochure holders, additional labels, and ads.

Third, I have yet to place one of these machines where I

regretted not being able to see the product from the back.

Parts are easily accessible either on eBay or direct from

manufacturer via their new online store. Just an example...

I was missing four or five coin trays. I picked up sixteen of

them for $9.16 on eBay. (99 cents plus $8.15 S&H.) That's

57 cents each.

All parts from any Vendstar 3000 machine wil fit any other

Vendstar 3000. You can mix and match parts as needed to

repair, or even build a machine.

Catch tray to keep product off location floor. I know these

work great for a fact.

Candy wheels are ultra easy to adjust. There is a way to do

it even without removing it from the canister. How to do it

is in the manual. (I bought one on eBay). Scobrien is right

though, you can't change it with product still in the canister.

It has to be empty.

The coin mechanisims are easily switched out if necessary.

Two little screws accessed from inside the enclosed body.

Used machines are generally inexpensive, and a good way

for someone on a tight budget, (like me), to start a passive

income-generating business.

Machines are easy to clean, and when a little elbow grease

is applied even a rough-looking machine can be made to

look nearly new, inexpensively.

CONS

Purchased new from the factory these cost the equivalent of

what should be the Cadillac of the industry. They're not.

There are better machines available new that cost less.

Used is the only option I would, or could, go with.

Machine is all plastic so certain locations should be

considered off limits. Anywhere kids, or teenagers hang out,

for example. I have to look for adult oriented businesses

near me to place these machines. Copy centers, banks,

offices, employee break rooms, etc...

Canister lenses will turn yellow if exposed to enough direct

sunlight. Again, location is important here. Headlight

cleaner and brightener is required to correct this problem.

To vend 1" gumballs an additional gumball wheel purchase

is required. Available for around $20.00 each. Otherwise

you're stuck vending the smaller gumballs.

The base is 18" round, for stability.  The closest this puts the

back of the machine to the wall is appx. 6-1/2 inches. I

personally don't like that. I think it's too far.

One last con I came across just recently, and I may be

nit-picking here, you decide. The Pastel Dinner Mints from

Sam's do not vend properly. :X Darn little square things jam

up everytime. (I tried 'em before I put 'em out on location).

Would I buy anymore of these?

Definitely maybe.  How's that for being ambiguous. :D

I would have to have a location ready to go, and be in

desperate need of a machine, and then the price would

have to be excellent.

Dave

Definitely maybe.  How's that for being ambiguous. :D

I plan on switching to 1080 ct gumballs would it vend these?

Definetly Maybe is a movie isn`t it?

I'm not attacking anyone Lurker. Your the one trying to bait me into an argument with you. And yes I did own a couple of Vendstars. That was back in my first year of doing this. It didn't take long for me to realize the folly of my ways.

If your making money with them, then I'm more than happy for you. I just can't help but believe that you could do so much more. If you would study the business model of the VERY sucessfull vending companies and emulate them, then you would be so much more likely to be successfull. The companies I speak of are the Folz, Sugerloaf, Coinstar, etc. Or atleast listen to those that have been in business for 10-20, or more years.

I have ! And bar none they don't operate triples EXCEPT in the rare locations that MIGHT support one. And then they have very limited exposure on their routes. That is route in the plural !

You may see other Vendstars and U-Turns. Many of those operators bought into the pie in the sky biz-op BS. Your one of the lucky ones that didn't get stung by their sales tactics. That shows that you have a decent intuitive business mind. Let your mind expand and look at things for what they are. Not what you would like them to be.

Craig

Have to agree with Dhochan. I am either going to use my vendstars the same way. Put it a location to see if it's any good and replace with a good machine if a good location or pull it  and place in another. They are simple machines to work with. Like the idea of being able to pull each cannister to service. but doors break easy and can't buy new doors from Vendstar. They will not sell to you unless you bought from them. U Turn will!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen quite a few people advertising on eBay that the machine will vend 1" gumballs and caps. I doubt if they purchased a gumball wheel but then I might be wrong. This puts a damper on my wanting to purchase them for that reason. More than likely these sellers have no clue what it will vend.

• 4 weeks later...

wow. very strong opinions on Vendstar thats for sure. I'm brand new to vending just getting in with 10 -1800 machines so my opinion does not really hold a lot of weight but here it goes anyway.  I do not own any vendstars but did consider used ones.  I was turned on to vending by seeing the results my cousin was getting with his 130 you guessed it........Vendstars :D    All his machines were purchased used either off Ebay or Craigs list for $50 or less each.

All the negatives that have been posted here  he told me about so I'd agree there are some real negatives with the Vendstars. However, Tim  is clearing  $1700 a month profit after expenses with his Vendstars.  I think thats really good.  I know I'd be happy with that.  

In the end isn't it about making money?  I think if you realize this is a business and treat it that way you should be able to make money with any machine if you work hard. Just my opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I’ve had my Vendstars in service for almost 6 months now. I wanted to wait until they were in service for a period of time so I could give a fair and unbiased review. I also am able to compare them to other machines I have purchased.

Pros

Interchangeable Canisters = This makes changing product a breeze if you have extra canisters. It’s a great way try different products and experiment with what will move and what will not.

Light Weight = This could also be considered a con because of its weight. It’s very easy to transport which saves wear and tear on your back. If you’re old like I am, this is a plus in my opinion. However, that also means it’s an easy target for theft.

Coin Mechs = I listed this as a pro because they are plastic and doesn't require lubrication. I know most of you hate anything plastic but this will not rust or corrode. This is plus for me because of where I live. The humidity is very extreme around here all year long, which causes anything metal to rust. Also, if you’re vending peanuts, the salt will corrode the metal. Out of the 10 that I purchased, 2 of them were used for a year and a half. I have one of the used ones on location for 5 months. That gives the mechs in service close to 2 years and they are working just as fine as the new ones.

Large Product Tray = I like the size of this because it catches all the candy if you don’t dispense it in your hand. I’ve seen other triples and they are much smaller and not as deep.

Wheel Adjustment = Quick, easy and fast. Unscrew only one screw and pop the housing out, adjust the wheel setting and put it back together. Much easier and faster than the doubles I have. It’s also all plastic preventing rust and corrosion.

Base = Large and very sturdy. Being it is plastic, it will not require a carpet runner under it because of rust. However, it could be considered a con because it has a tendency to crack around the opening of the pole. This does not weaken it though.

Cons

Canister Lens = Scratches very easily. Small scratches are not noticable with product in canister. Has a tendency to yellow if exposed to direct sunlight.

Product Tray = Can crack or break when some pressure is applied.

Chute Doors = Will break off if mistreated. I’ve only had to replace one and that’s because it wasn’t handled properly when someone moved the machine. I can see them break more often if it’s located in a place where kids hang out.

Color = I must admit, it isn’t very appealing. I tried painting the lid of the machine I’m using for spare parts. It came out real nice. For those of you that might want to try this, use an extra fine grit sandpaper and scuff the finish up. Then take a damp cloth to wipe off the residue. Dry it real good with a towel and then spray paint it. I used high gloss enamel spray paint.

Coin Mechs = I know, I have this listed as a pro but it also needs to be listed as a con because quarters tend to get caught on the top of the chute. It’s a minor inconvenience but you have to remember to lift the canister out to knock the quarters down into the coin trays.

Cost = This could fall under both categories. If you buy them direct from the manufacturer, they are way overpriced. They sell real cheap on Craigslist and Ebay. I got my 10 machines for $250 through an ad in the Thrifty Nickle circulation. Used is the way to go. It’s a quicker ROI and provides room for expansion.

Overall, in my opinion, they are sturdy machines that definitely have its place in the industry. These are great for starting out to see if this is a business you want to get into. I looked at it only one way, if it wasn’t what I wanted to do, I was only out $250. I more than likely would have broke even after I put them on Ebay. They are a quick, simple way to test product at locations. My original plan was to try them out and then replace them with doubles after getting a feel for what product would move. I did swapping out for 5 months and finally hit the right combo on every machine. All 9 of them are now making a good income and will stay where they are.

Would I buy more? A definite maybe. If I happen to run across another deal like I did with the first ones, I probably will pick them up. They are much easier to handle and work with compared to the doubles I have.

• 2 months later...

Thanks God I run into this site. I was about to buy 50 machines tomorrow from Vendstar in Red but it seems that the quality is not there...Which one would you recommend? There is another one I am looking into called RouteMaster that is supposed to be all metal. Would that be better?

Also would I need to incorporate or get some kind of business licence to do business in TN?

Thank you,