Tax Preparer

BluePlate

OK,  just got the Ok from a local tax prep chain (owner has 3 locations) to place candy machines.  I will need to pull them out by April 30.  What is the thought of the volume these will do.  I don't want to sound like a whinner, but I've been a little busy and to drop off 3 machines just to pick them up 4 months later for a total $30-$40 doesn't seem worth it.  But if I could knock of a few hundred.  Any thoughts?

I recently went to tax prep school. The bulk of the people to hit those locations (that I was training for) will be divorced with kids, but not bringing the children with them. Keep this in mind when choosing products. (Gumballs should do fairly poorly since the children are rarely brought along for the boring process) They have enough money to pay a tax prep service though, so they can definitely afford your candy. Since there may be a wait to meet with someone to do their taxes, and it takes a while there.... it definitely has potential. You have the opportunity to sell to the temp workers there preparing the taxes as well. Since they are temps, you can expect they won't be treated well and won't have good breaks or food storage options at work. Therefore IMO they would be more likely to buy from your machine rather than try to bring food. (I was underwhelmed at the working conditions and I do not recommend it to anyone)

Keep in mind your customers may be legitimately hungry. Which product you feel provides the best advantage in that situation is your call. Tab gum might do well -- depending on the location. Chain smokers may not have the opportunity to smoke while waiting in line--but if the location is right next to an out doors area instead of in a walmart, then they will just step outside and smoke.

I think it is a creative plan, and I intend to pursue it locally if I can get enough machines for it. Knowing that the people will be hungry, I'd use something opportunistic. I'd avoid rusting a machine with salty nuts, and use something with some sugar to stimulate the appetite. Perhaps I'm of the profiteering mindset, however it is only worthwhile to put in the machine if it will turn a profit.

I've seen this same sort of thing in other seasonal stores.  There was a Holloween Superstore here that had eyeball gumballs on a single stand.  I don't know how well it did, but somebody sure made the attempt to make a dollar where a dollar could be had, that's for sure.

Blue:

If those #'s are correct I would not be interested. How many employees etc will be using your machine? It might be worth it because the initial novelty of a candy machine will last until April then taper off dramatically. Will there be traffic? If I thought I could get $75-$100/mo for the season for all 3, the locations are not out of the way etc. I would go for it. If you think $10/mo per machine per location  per month IMHO it is not worth your time and effort.

Jim

Blue;

I assumed you were going to place triples; so it would be different if single or double. If they have 5 employees and good traffic and you have the machines available give it a shot. You never know, but you will have employees and traffic; a good start. I have never done a seasonal location so am no help to you there. Good luck.

I've had several locations that have lasted less than 4 months.  If you go into this business thinking that you are only going to approach locations with the expectation that they will be in there for year and years and years making money, then you will never place a single machine. 

In 3 months, I'll have a few locations where I will have had them for 3 years now.  Actually, last weekend would be the 3 year anniversary of the day I place my first machine ever.  I also have some locations where I've never even lasted a full service cycle of 2 months because they closed their doors (prolly on the same week I placed the machine!).