Cracked / Bad Gumballs from Sams update...

markvend

We have had some discussion on broken and cracked gumballs from Sams.  For those of you new to this experience, we've been having lots of problems with the candy coating cracking on them.

I buy both from by pallet from Concord and Sams through the product my contractors purchase at the Sams stores.  I have bought two pallets of both 850 pieces and 1080 pieces assorted.  Both have been great with no problems and fresh taste.  I am still having problems with what I buy from Sams.  Sometimes, you can even hear the broken candy rattling in the box when you pick it up.

I can't be 100% sure but I feel the problem is more with Sams than Concord.  I believe the product is hard frozen in storage facilities or on refrigerated trucks too long.  Just my opinion.

Others have mentioned liking other gum like Fruit Stand and Bubble King.  I have taste tested both and agree the flavor is better than Concord. 

I have noticed though the gum sticks to your teeth much worse than Concord.  Has anyone had any negative experiences with this?  I would really appreciate any comments especially from those of you who have switched from Concord.

Thanks,

Mark

I agree about the frozen comment.  I left 2 bags in my van and the weather was very old, these 2 bags are done.  Almost all the coating fell off.  If you open a case from Sam's, notice the gumballs on the edges are cracked and the middle gumballs are much better.

Mark,

I have had problems with Dubble Bubble from Sam's Club as far back as 5 years ago! I had numerous discussions with Concord and they essentially did nothing. Here is what I think, but I can not prove it:

1. Sams is probably more to blame on this due to their storage techniques. The product is probably stored in a non-climate controlled area and the weather will takes it toll.

2. This became a very serious problem after Concord was purchased by Tootsie Roll. Its very possible that ingredients, processing or storage procedures were altered. Before the merger, the gum was fine in terms of freshness.

3. Neither side will take the blame (or responsibility to fix it) and both will point the finger at the other.

4. Concord did send me some replacements (years ago) from their factory AND they were also slate! I also bought some from BJ's and their gum was also stale. So I can not blame Sam exclusively.

5. IMO, the "Big 3" gumball suppliers should simply seal the bag. IMO, just zip locking the freaking bag (like all of the other candies) would help to maintain freshness. Also, treat gum like chocolate and store it appropriately. For some reason none of them will do this.  Maybe it is not practical or will increase the cost too much - don't really know.

I gave up on Sam and Concord a long time ago! If more people complain, MAYBE they will do something. However, I am very happy with Ford and will not go back to Concord. Ford will give free shipping on a pallet and Quill will give free shipping on smaller orders over $45.

Jax

Jax,

What are you paying for an 850 ct box? I'm not partial to any particular brand. I have not tried Ford gum but would be more than willing to try it if the price is good.

I think you're right about a change in the ingredients. I eat more of my product than I should and have noticed the change in taste shortly after they purchased the company. The candy shells seemed thicker and the taste did not laste nearly as long as it used to even in the fresher lots we received.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mark

You may be on to something with the freezing product. I would imagine that Concord has climate control on their end so it must be a Sam's issue. Those that have bought bad gum from Sam's recently need to go to Sam's web site and fill out the review of the product. Don't hold back but explain it in a civil manner. Don't put it off, do it now or you won't do it at all. We have enough members here to get their attention.

I am also having issues with gum balls from Sam's club. Today I was there and talked to the store manager about the ongoing issues we are having with their gum balls. I told him about VENDiscuss.com and that know one will buy from Sam's club if it continues. He walked over and opened a case and we both looked through it for cracked and de-shelled gum balls. The ones we opened where dated 2010. They where in perfect condition. Not one cracked ball in the box. Figures, he must have thought I was kidding. He told me to bring them back the next time it happens. He will make good on it and get in touch with the company to replace all cases that they have. I would recommend that you all do the same.

Gary

I have zero confidence in Sam and Concord. I trust them about as much as a wall street financial adviser. Even if they do get it right, I don't believe it will stay right!

I will never go back to Concord/Sam again. I am letting my wallet do the speaking here and have been bitter about this for a long time now.  The more business they both lose, the happier I am (since they both essentially ignored my complaints and caused a lot of disruption for me).  The Quill/Ford combination is good for small orders and is much more convenient to have it shipped to my door for free.  Plus I want Quill and Ford to be around for a long time.

In fact, I get coupon deals from them that takes $30 off a $150 order - essentially beating the Sam's price. Try out coupon code SMN on their web site and maybe they will give you the same deal (expires 1/29).  Gotta luv capitalism!

Jax

Placed an order for 8 cases on quill $16.16 per case after coupon shipped, nearly identical to TJ King.  Will give them a try and see how they work out.  I am also getting price quotes on pallets of gum and superballs.

Mark,

I have only used Concord from Sam's club. I hate paying shipping on anything I buy. I think Quill will work for me. I don't use more than a couple of cases at a time. I don't have that many locations with gum balls. I use most of them in my Gravity Hill skill machine. Players get a few ball win or lose after they play.

Gary