Normal noise Level from a vending machine

I installed a vending machine into a location a few weeks back and they are not happy with the noise level from the machine. I am looking at getting a new AMS machine (or possibly other brand), but was wondering if anyone had specifications on the normal noise level of a new vending machine? The last thing we want is to buy a new machine and still have the location complain that it is too noisy.

The room that it is in is very echoey (tiled, no soft furnishings), which I think makes it seem louder, but there is no alternative location for a machine.

I measured the noise level of my current machine on a phone app and with just the evaporator fan going, my phone reads about 65 dB and when the compressor and condenser fan kick in it increases to 80 dB. (I think the phone app may read high. In any case, the noise is just acceptable without the compressor on, but too noisy with it on.)

Any hints for quieting machines is also appreciated. It's not a rattly noise, but more a low level hum. I do like AMS machines, but find they can get noisy.

All cooled machines will make noise.  With used machines you can have noisy fan bearings or noisy compressors.  New machines will generally be the quietest and sometimes you can't even tell if the compressor is running.  You can always replace your fan motors and put a new compressor in your machine.  I wouldn't buy a machine unseen hoping it will be quieter.  You really need to find a distributor so you can test for the noise yourself first. 

Besides, even if the machine has some noise, the sound of vending and retrieving a soda will be louder.

I will be buying through a distributor (although they will need to import the machine from the US because the location doesn't like the colour black and that is all the distributor has in stock). Will see to get the distributor to check the noise levels on the new machines before I commit to buying (distributor is 200 miles away, so not practical to do it myself).

unless I am mistaken, 80db is pretty loud, more so than a properly working machine should produce.  Check for loose mounting of the compressor, and be sure you have sufficient space between the back of the machine and the wall for air flow.  You may want to place the machine on a throw rug or other soft surface.  As for the color options, you might be cheaper buying a local machine and ordering a vinyl wrap or tuffront kit to change the appearance...

Can you place sound deadening material behind the machine against the wall and perhaps underneath it to absorb sound?  Don't cover the vent, but 6 inches or so away from it.  I imagine the sound is coming through the screen on the back of the machine and bouncing against the wall if it is an AMS.  You wouldn't need a large amount, just enough to cover the

If the location is complaining about average noise and doesn't like a machine if its Black... then unless its a good account I'd start looking for another location. Sounds like they are a pain in the a@$..

I have had some fan motors that are loud. New out of the box and it seems to be the cheap ones. Aluminum ones mostly. Also, some blades can make more noise than others. The old 3 blade blades on D/N decks seem to make the least. Royal has a six-blade I like. It is a bit smaller and has a good pitch. Moves more air.  

Hi Brendan. First up phone apps are not at all accurate for measuring sound. Being in Australia you could try a FAS Faster 900 or 1050 at that site. They have dark grey sides and silver on the door frame.

The noise level is quoted at under 70db A weighted. I had one in a call centre and the machine was very good. Nearest phone was about 2 meters away and no complaints. Had full carpet on floor so

putting sound treatment under the machine and on the rear wall is a good idea too.

PS check your messages.

• 1 year later...

Archived