When you don't have fun anymore

BluePlate

About 2 years ago I bought my first machine and tried to place it, I did not have fun- and gave up.  Last March (now almost a year), I started again and have been much more sucessful.  I'm soon going to reach the 100th location milestone.  I'm having a blast, I go to bed dreaming of quarters and thought about making this a full time gig in a year or 2. 

I have bought 2 different routes and spoke with at least 4 or 5 owners who were selling.  They all had the "I've done this for years and just can't do it anymore." I'm in the frame of mind that I can't imagine getting sick of it all.  I can't wait for my son to be able to take on some responsibility.

I would like to hear from some people who have lost the ol MOJO or feel like they might be losing it.  Have you thought of succession planning, what is it that you maybe getting tired of.

Todd,

I lost my mojo on 9/27/07 and never got it back. I can't explain it but I'm probably not going to come out of the slump I've been in since then. My vending empire has slowly dwindled to practically nothing.

Here is a link to my "lost mojo" thread...

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=305&forum_id=1&highlight=i+lost+my+mojo

Steve

Steve,

I never saw that post before.  While I'm on my high I would love to hear specifics on what gets you down.  I love meeting the people, I never have had anyone get upset or crazy about a quarter. 

I would love to hear some of the "road block" I'm going to hit. If you were to do it all over again, is there some prior investments or planning that can be done to avoid the issues?

I have not lost it per say but have not been working too hard to improve much. When gas shot up last year I put my locating over to locators as a trade off for the additional fuel charges. I did have a few machine to place but was not to motivated to place them. Part of the problem is trying to sell our house and I will then need to sell my route or move it to TX. The constant not knowing when you may need to move gets to you. I could be a lot bigger right now but then I would have a much larger route to try to sell or move. Right now I could buy another local route for $1500 of 32 1-800's located. no mention of revenue but at that price is it a real good deal just on machines. I could grow to 45 machines overnite and pay for it in maybe 3 months.

Every time I think we will be here for awhile and talk myself into gearing up we get a bite on the house. Revenue being down with prices going up does not help as we are all seeing that for the most part. Part of it is maybe being over worked and not enough playtime. I have just added two part time ventures to my full time job and part time candy route. Just trying to scrape together extra money from whereever I can. Life is a cycle of ups and downs. Steve sometimes the downs last longer then you can imagine but usually when the ups come back they will last for a long cycle to make up for it. Let me check on something for you Steve and I will try to PM you on Friday with it.

Right now I could buy another local route for $1500 of 32 1-800's located. no mention of revenue but at that price is it a real good deal just on machines.

Damn, I need me about 32 1-800's for that price! The locations make it an insanely good deal imo.

Dude, just scrape up the cash and go for it!

Yea I know I should take it but it really complicates my situation. Part of me says I can pay it back in 3 month but then I will have to try sell a 45 machine route. Trying to sell that in maybe a month's time is the down side. I would rather not have to go collect 45 machines and drag them 1,200 miles with everything else. I may see if he wants me to run it for him for a 40% cut because he can't service it anymore.

When you don't have fun anymore is when it feels like its turned into a job.I am getting off work and come home to start logging in food receipts or getting ready to start to service accounts just to put the money in the bank to pay your expenses for the business.I find that I'm putting off till another day to service machines to try to have a little down time.Time to stop ranting,I have to do my quarterly tax report and set up for payment to be deducted from my account(at least I got that setup for electronic funds transfer).

John

It is basically a day in, and day out thing. This month as been aweful, and I find myself in Steves position.

You will find that after a few years, it is no longer exciting. I love servicing my accounts, but it is not as "fun" as it once was. You do it because you have to (not because you want to).

I rarely have fun anymore, but I still do it, and I am making money still. This is my business, and my source of income. I have no other choice but to keep going, building, and expanding. It becomes a lifestyle after a while. I think if I was to ever get to the point where I sell out, I could not stay away for long.

Cheers to vending depression!

Kyle

Steve, maybe we can get a forum discount on a pallet of Zoloft!

:shock:

I still get excited when I get new toys in for my machines!I am not burnt out on vending(yet)

I enjoy the toy vending aspect of it because I am a big kid and I enjoy makeing money with it too.

among the worst aspects in vending so far for me has been a trashed dentyine ice machine and haveing to change out half full or more super 80`s with a slow moveing toy in it, nothing really to want me to get out of it.

Interesting thread. Steve may have lost his passion for vending routes etc, but he certainly has not lost his energy and passion with other ventures he has his hands in.

This is how I felt after working with the homeless, mentally ill, drug addicted population after 17-18 years. I just had enough of it. And so here I am full of vim and vigor again but this time its vending that has me going.

As I mentioned I'm pretty pumped up with my business right now.  I did have a bad day the other day.  I drove 25 miles to service a group of machines and found out I did not bring the key for that one. 

I would still love to hear some specifics.  Is it the customers?  Candy melting or freezing in the car?  loosing a machine or a location?  What drags on you? If I could tell the future, what could I change?

I forgot a key for a location 12 miles away once and another time I forgot my tote with my suplies in it at a location.these are minor setbacks, and not reason enough for me to get tired of vending.I guess after years of doing anything people get burnt out on it.

Todd,

I am not trying to side step your question, rather I'm trying to figure out the answer. Maybe if I knew why, I'd be able to fix it.

However, I will say this. What I have grown tired of is the bulk side. I am still very much charged up about the full line side. I have found that recent bulk service calls have been very cumbersome for me. I just cant seem to gather the needed motivation to collect the money, much less locate machines.

T Bird is right though. My present loss of mojo is only on the bulk side of things. I still have a ton of fun servicing my combo, building sites for you guys and administering this board.

As my regional neighbor, you certainly know what I mean when I say the weather plays a huge part. I simply don't want to leave the house in sub zero temps!

Steve

For me its just that I don't get pumped up about collecting quarters,maybe its because I have full size snack and soda locations that I pull dollar bills out as thick as my hands will hold without dropping:D,just don't get excited about quarters,Hope this helps answer your question.

John

It may have something to do with this time of year. With the cold, bad economy and less sunlight effect. I need to collect my route but have been hoping for warmer weather so I don't need my jacket. It's tough having the temp dip below 50 you know. I guess I will tough it out Monday as it is going to be 58.

Beer980 wrote:

It may have something to do with this time of year. With the cold, bad economy and less sunlight effect. I need to collect my route but have been hoping for warmer weather so I don't need my jacket. It's tough having the temp dip below 50 you know. I guess I will tough it out Monday as it is going to be 58.

Pardon me while I puke................if I had your hand I would throw my cards in.

well i dont feel alone anymore ,i started watching my route spin lately( september thru december) from 200 locations to 125 locations ,and i was thinking of selling my route .after 7 years  i thought maybe it was time for a change but after reading the doom and gloom chronicles made me realize i got a good thing going(not the looseing of locations ) working on that trend to reverse it , Misery loves company ,so buck  up boys this year better than last year(hopefully )

I know it is tough running a route down here in 58 degree weather but I just prefer doing it in shorts & my business polo.

TBird is it time for you to pay another vist down here yet or do you need some more snow before you book that flight?

phoenixvender

What you have here is an opportunity to get 75 better locations then what you had. This business, like life, has it's ups and downs.

T bird's post struck a thought in me concerning Steve's situation (no, I'm not a psychiarist, can't even spell it.) For the entrepreneur, which it sounds like Steve and several of us are, part of the joy is setting up a business / income stream and beginning to enjoy the fruit of it. When maintanence come month after month, it can ruin it for the entreprenuer.

It has really seemed this way to me as we have grown our business. I have to re-create passion within the bulk side of it whether it is locating new commercial accts, buying new routes, finding a way to save on my cost per vend, etc. I think for many of this this somewhat applies.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this to some of you as I know it has really applied to me. If I'm not doing some kind of a deal or busy trying to increase cash flow somewhere, I get really legarthic even with money coming in.

Mark