When you don't have fun anymore

BluePlate

I have to agree with Mark, it is the quest that will keep it exciting. After all, the day to day is pretty mundane. I am sure everyone was really excited when they first started in the vending adventure and I am sure that many that have crossed the line into full-time vending have at some point become somewhat bored with it at one point or another, I know I have and do from time to time.

I have to look and remind myself of the many things I like about it.

I prefer the bulk vending because of the flexibility it offers me. If I want to take a vacation or need sick time off, I can without to much impact and the revenue will be the same.

I enjoy being outside as opposed to working in an office and driving my route gives me the opportunity to enjoy this while on the job.

I like meeting and talking with new people and there is always plenty of that in this business.

I get excited when I find a silver quarter in one of my bags and I drop it in with the small collection that I have started and when I land a new location.

I go stark raving bonkers when I make a change at a location that triples the revenue. Of course I feel like crap when that location goes out of business 2 months later, which just happened last week.

I am secure in knowing that no matter what happens, I can not be fired at the whim of one person or Board of Directors.

There are other things I like about it also but the best is the freedom to do with it what I want, I can grow it, reduce it, sell it, give it away, paint it green or blue, I can do all of these, some of these, or none of these and more.

In my view, it's hard to beat.

MOJO is over-rated! There I said it. Vending is a business and from time to time it isn't going to give us the joy we once got from it. It is kind of like a long-term relationship. At first everything is lovey-dovey, but then you get past the fluff and the relationship requires nurturing and a lot more effort than it used to. If you count on mojo alone, you won't get to reap the big rewards of this long-term relationship we call vending.

I haven't lost the Mojo yet, but I do find that its more difficult to service machines when it's below 15 - 20 degrees outside.

I solve the problem by starting a bonfire in the wood stove when I get back home. Not only is this fun, it also melts the ice away. :cool:

Brian

Wow,  this really became a good thread.  I agree, for me it's still the thrill of the hunt.  I love building little empires and laughing like that guy from Austin Powers.

For me right now, I love the building of the empire.  I think it will need to end at 200 locations, I know for some that's a mini-empire.  At that point I may start jockeying locations to improve the average $$ per location. 

For those with the winter blues, only 6 weeks (about) until spring training. Seeing a little baseball always warms things up.