So many machines to choose from

joebob051977

I have to admit, I can never make up my mind on what machine I want to use. I'd love to stick with one brand so that I have continuity, but every time I get on here and read about a different machine I have a change of heart. I started out with GMW which I decided were overpriced. I then went with the XYZ Easy Pro which is value priced, but I hear about the quality issues and coin mech problems. I would love to go with Beaver or Northwestern, but they are pricey and people are going to buy from a $45 machine just as a $65 machine. I don't like the looks of the A&A Global machines a whole lot. So then I think maybe I should go with Oaks since I hear they are a solid machine and reasonably priced. I know there have been lots of discussions about machines and which one is best. It seems that they all have good points and bad points. I am leaning more and more towards Oaks. Is it reasonable to expect to have the same brand of machine throughout your entire route? How many different brands do you use on your route? Do you find yourself going back and forth on machine brands too?  

Joe, I was the same way starting out.  I started with XYZ triples, the got a few beaver gumball machines, then some 1800s.  I was fortunate enough to come across a person selling a lot of 1800s so I just picked up all I could.  I switched them out with the XYZs and now only have 1800s and Beaver. It is a lot easier if you have one or two types of machines.  Beaver is better quality, but I really can't afford them new, so I just keep my eyes peeled for used machines.  I have heard only good things about OAK but have never used them

These machines are like most things now a days-you get what you pay for.If you stop and think or even write it down, you'll see you are half way there on deciding about machines. 1-you want to stick with one brand.2-price is a factor.3-you have done some research and are leaning towards one brand.

Now, it's time to decide how much you want to invest to get started. I think if you write all these things down and take a good look, you will come up with answers that are satisfactory.You can ask everyone in this forum about machines and you'll get different answers from everyone.Some like Fords, some like Chevy's, etc.Patience is wisdom in this business. Good luck to ya!

As far as new machines go Oaks are the best bang for the buck in the vending universe. You won't go wrong if you make them your front line machine. Try to order larger quanties(40 or more) to keep shipping costs down.

Oak and Eagle are your best bet for starting out.  They are reasonably priced, reliable, and spare parts are easy to get.  Oak and Eagle are also interchangeable with each other, so you also get versatility with these two brands.  The sales people I have dealt with at Oak and Eagle have been very helpful, also.

I myself have about half my machines that are Eagles, and about 70 Oak heads and I love these machines!!!  I also have some A&A and NW and my first Beaver rack, but they are special purpose machines for my routes.

The Eagle panel cabinet is the model of choice there.  Holds about 300 gumballs/toys.  Caps can be added on up to three sides to double its capacity.  The best thing about these machines is the gum/toy wheel, you can use the same one to vend both products, many other brands have separate toy and gumball wheels (NW, Beaver, A&A), which can be a real hassle for me sometimes.  I love the versatility Eagle offers.  They have a distributor in Ohio, so that may even be drivable for you.

For the Oaks, you have the Vista 300 and 450.  The 300 is about the same capacity as the Eagle cabinet, but is not a panel cabinet, just a one piece globe, so there is no room to expand the head.  The 450 however is the big brother, it holds about 450 gum/toys.  I call it the "Fathead."  You can have over $125 of product at a time in this thing, a very nice double machine to have in a good location.  Also, the Vista 450s look great as part of a rack or 4-way setup.  They are based in California.

Now for the NW, A&A, Beaver machines... the special purpose I use these for are primarily rack setups.  Nicer locations I will buy used Beaver or NW, others I will use A&A/Oak/Eagle setups.  Since these are not my main line machines, I will splurge a little to have nicer rack setups going in my prime spots.  Of course, sticker machines will be going in also, but that is farther down the line for you.

My recommendation would be to order a few Eagle heads/stands and try to rent a van to pick them up, and order some Oaks with stands (a reasonable quantity to keep the shipping cost per unit down).  That way you can work with the machines a little to get accustomed to them, these will be your first front line babies, get to know them well!

Oak makes a cabinet model just like Eagle, so everything Nepavend said applies to Oaks as well.

Joebob said that he is concerned with price/value and this is where Oaks shine.

These prices are from memory so they may not be up to the minute, but  I Think the ratios are nearly correct.

Oak Vista 300/450  $42

Oak Vista Cabinet  $52

Eagle Cabinet  $56

Northwestern Super 60  $60  ( in 100 quantities with candy wheels, gumball wheels -$2 )

My conclusion is to use  Oak Vista 300s on slower charity stops and Northwesterns on higher volume locations. I occasionally find good deals on Oaks and Northwesterns, but rarely run across used Eagles. (maybe its a regional thing).

If I were to limit myself to one and only machine then it would be the Oak Vista Cabinet for the reasons Nepavend listed.

Great info! Don't forget that Northwestern has scratch-and-dent machines available from time to time. I just bought 10 NW60's for $45 each. They are practically new and just had some minor scuff marks on the globe or lid. Plus no clean up time required.

Jax

Oak and Eagle are also interchangeable with each other, so you also get versatility with these two brands.

So I can swap the wheels and mechs between oaks and eagles?  kewlness!  Also, where is  a good location for buying eagles?  I already talked about Superior Wholesale Supply, but I'd like to find a secondary site to buy parts, etc.

Eagle Cabinets are $52 on Superiors site, the .50 cabinet is $57

My bad. I got home and looked up the price list Superior sent me in March 2008 and Eagle cabinets were $51 for 1-9, $45.50 for 10-49 and $41.50 for 50+ . WOW, thats an excellent value if you buy 50 or more.

Oak does not give quantity discounts unless you buy 500 or more.

I still like the quality of the Oaks just a wee bit more, if you look at the back of the coin mechs side by side you can see that the Oak has two washer dogs instead of one on the Eagle and the Oak has a coin sweep. I don't know if this improves the performance of the Oak over the Eagle.

Most parts are interchangeable BUT you cannot put an Eagle coin mech on an Oak without modification to the body.

You CAN put an Oak coin mech directly on an Eagle body.