Another Newb

jhaa

Hello all,

My name is Jeff and I live in Central PA.  I have been looking into starting a vending business mostly to supplement my full time job and to have something for my son to do to earn some money while attending college.

I plan to buy just one triple head right now and plan to use a locator service.  I intend to build from there.  I have read about the benefits of placing myself, but with the limited time I have and the inexperience in knowing what to look for in a site, I figure go with the locator. 

What I would like to know if this is a sound beginning and what kind on income should I be looking for from each location.  I understand that there are a million and one variables that account for the income, but what is considered a good monthly take.

Thanks and any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff, first off, welcome to Vendiscuss!

To answer your question, the monthly average gross income per head is $7.  So if you are operating a triple, the average should be $21 (counts as 3 heads).  Your COG is usually around 25-30% (gumballs are much less).  So you will make about $14.70 Net (before taking into account gas, time, etc) a month from one triple. 

Now keep in mind it is very possible to get a location doing much more or a little less than that.  There are members on here who pull over $100 a month from doubles!  The key is location, and that is why locating yourself is a big plus because you get to choose which locations you would like to pursue.  Best of luck to you and if you have any other questions feel free to post.

PS:  I deal strictly with triples, so feel free to PM me as well.

Welcome. There is nothing wrong with starting with one machine. Many here have done it including me. I kept adding one a month to where I am at now. Like Gabe says $20 is your average triple and try to use a locator with a guarantee of $15-$20 a month. Midwest or Kickstart are very popular with the group and have ads to click on at the bottom of the pages.

Thanks for the information.  BTW, what exactly is a good deal on machines?  I mean is it based on how fast you can recoup the cost in months base don profit from the machine?  I see some cheap, but then I have to ask about the quality and I cannot seem to find the thread on here that reviews each type of machine.

Hi,

Wlecome to Vendiscuss! You can find reviews on many different types of machines under the Equipment Reviews category.  Also I know of a person in Reading PA who is dismantling a very large route and would be able to give you a great deal on Equipment.....Its mostly A&A so if your interested let me know. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

.....By good deal I mean you shouldn't pay more than 15 per head...possibly less. If your interested I'll give you his number.

Hi Jeff,

Welcome. I'm getting into vending for the same reasons. Supplementing my full-time job, and have a son going into college. I checked with as many machine suppliers as possible to get an idea of features and pricing on new units and then had a refference point  for machines offered on Craigslist.  The Vendiscuss equipment review section is super helpful! It definitely steered me on which brands to stay away from.

Good luck on your new venture! Kep us posted on how things progress.

Ernie

Gumballs are included in the $7 average. It covers most of the items in general. Dentyne Ice and Certs are a different animal. I think Midwest gauarantees $15 per head per month and Kickstart gauarantees $20. That means if after 2-3 months if you are not averages that ammount they will relocate it for free. So DI/Certs usually average in the $20 for a single head. The locations are more of a niche market and you can get into some locations that is not normally candy friendly like fitness centers. I run a DI/Certs as a double in two locations right now. They generally do about the same each month in sales.

When we talk about the DI/Certs, is that the product or is it the DI machines that raises the avg per head amount.  Do i have to have the DI machine to expect an increase on the average or can I just put DI in a triple?

Thanks

Jeff

DI/Certs can vend two ways. The machines are set up to vend 2 pieces at a time. They sometimes vend 1 or 3 but for the most part 2. You can also buy small caps and put 2 in each cap and vend them that way but it increases your cost and the time factor to fill the caps. I don't the machine in itself raises the sales but it is a nice looking machine with nice graphic labels. I think it has more to being placed in the right location as it is a niche product. It is for adults so a kid location will do poorly. Being almost no calories makes it attractive to health spots. When you buy a new machine it comes with 3 pounds of product and the stand. When you run through that bag it almost pays for the machine so with a good location you will have a good ROI.