Oil for coin mech

golpher

after 10 yrs and 800 mechs, 3m silicone gel or paste hasnt let me down yet.......i pick it up at the local auto parts store (o'reillys).........wd 40 &  and other oils dont have any cling to them like the gel..the 3m can has a brush in the cap, its handy and fast.hope this helps

OK so here is a somewhat related question. SInce we are talking about using oils and gels in and around the machines, what about paint? If you had a machine that needed some paint to help "spruce it up", or to customize for a certain location, what kind would you use. I mean with regards to vending products that someone was going to put in their mouth.

Thanks

Jeff

So, how do you know when your machine needs to be lubed?  How often do you typically lube such machine?  Once a year?  

How often does one clean his machines?  Do you clean the gears inside the machine and how often??  I suppose one should bring out a replacement machine and do this type of work in the garage.

Cheers,

Jesse

FOR ME,ONCE A YEAR SEEMS TO DO THE TRICK, I ACQUIRED A ROUTE WHERE THE GENTLEMAN HAD USED AUTOMOTIVE GREASE "BLACK" THAT IS AND IT WAS A HELLUVA MESS TO CLEAN.....THE 3M GEL IS ALMOST CLEAR AND THE BIGGIE FOR ME IS THAT IS FOOD GRADE SAFE AND IVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH ANYTHING 3M IVE EVER USED......OAK, NW AND A&A SEEM TO USE A YELLOWISH GREASE THAT SEEMS TO BE OF A LITHIUM TYPE THAT SEEMS TO CAKE THE LONGER IT IS USED, TO EACH HIS OWN..I CARRY A DOZEN OR SO SPARE MECHS AND CHANGE THEM AS I DO THE ROUTE, THEN TAKE THEM HOME AND OVER THE WEEKENDS, I JUST ADD A DABB TO EACH AND OUT THEY GO, HOPE THIS HELPS.

"IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE, YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOT"

In addition to that, the longer you are in business, the more likely you will have to rotate globes, boxes, stands, even whole machines.  As your fleet ages and is exposed to elements you will have to change stuff, sometimes over and above the standard upgrades/downgrades at locations you will do.

For example, a NW Mega 60 12" globe tends to attract people who like to scratch it, in restaurants you can get layers of grease over time, and a number of other wear/tear issues.  You will have to eventually get a new globe to replace the existing.  Stands can rusty/chipped, mechs can lose their shine, paint can peel, etc.

The best thing to do is to occasionally swap out the machine for either a brand new machine of the same model or an upgrade to another brand new machine.  The older machines can still be serviceable after cleaning, but may have to be limited to not-as-nice areas and locations.