Product switching process for different machines

Lucero

Can everyone chime in about what it takes to switch product on their preferred machines?  Casseri, I'm looking at you, I went with Seagas on your suggestion :)

-Oak?

-Beaver?

-XYZ?

-1-800? (I bought one on Ebay for about 1/3 of the price to give it a try)

- A&A?

- NW?

- Others

Coming from my background, I have a strong understanding of the benefits in homogenity of interface when managing a multi-component network of machines.  So, I'm hoping I will fall in love with Seaga and just stick to them.  However, I would like to understand the ease of maintenance with other machines.

-Lucero

As simple as it sounds, turning the head upside down is the easiest way to do it if you don't have spare heads. Two heads are better than one is a saying that takes on new meaning in this business. This is another reason why it is a smart idea to stick with one brand of machine. Doing this will ensure that parts are interchangeable. Most importantly the globes and mechs.

When you are just getting started, you will be surprised at how little you actually need to replace one product with another. When I first started, I obsessed about how I would accomplish this task but now I realize that its such a minor and sporadic event and I put way too much thought into it.

My recommendation for you and to anyone else, is to stick to one type of machine and buy extra globes/hoppers for that machine whenever you see them for sale, like on eBay. As long as you have at least 1 extra globe assembly you should not have any problems switching product. Simply set up and fill the globe before you leave to service and when you get to the location just swap heads. When you get home you can empty and clean the globe at your leisure and then you have an extra again for the next change out.

Just to explain, a globe assembly consists of at least the globe, top ring, connecting rods, base, hopper, and wheel setup. These are the extra items you will need to swap in this manner. The lid and lock are not required since you will be using the same ones already on the machine.

This is the best way to swap product as it portrays a quick "clean" appearance and is less susceptible to disaster striking. Like spilling the whole globe of M&M's all over the floor!

Steve   

• 5 months later...

Every now and again I like to dig through the really old threads and bring up ones that I feel may be of interest to some of you. Here is one.

I know there are a lot of members here who never look past the first page of threads so hopefully this will re-circulate some older information.

Steve

• 5 months later...

This is the perfect thread I was looking for!

Can someone please explain on the XYZ Bulk (not the EasyPro) and the Vendstar 3000 how to change product?

For the XYZ and earlier poster said "open the chute"...does this mean there is a way to "drain" the heads from the back? If so, would you just clean the head and then put new product in?

What about for the Vendstar?

Also, do you ever physically remove a machine to swap product or always do there on location?

Thanks,

Kevin

On the XYZ, if you open the coin door on the back of the machine you will see the bottom of the plastick parts of the candy wheels.  Closest to you there is a small 1 inch "slide" that can be pulled out toward you that allows the candy to drain out.  It can be a messy process and can take a while. 

Aly........swapping product with the triple you have can be done obviously but can be time consuming and a bit of a pain like Gabe said. Its done onsite. After the product is drained out through the chute, you need to scrape out the remaining product on the bottom of the cannister with a spoon or something.

Changing prod on the Vendstar is not a big issue. Remove the top and the back door. Remove the canister you wish to change, dump product into bag, make setting change if needed ( requires phillips screwdriver), replace canister and fill. Replace top and back.

If you had nuts in the canister or the product made a mess in it, it is by far easier to keep an extra canister with you and just make a canister swap as with other makes like NW, Oak, etc.

For that XYZ put a quarter in the slot and turn it half way as it won't be lined up over the chute. Make sure you have some kind of good size container to catch the product when you slide out that chute door tab. I have a long narrow plastic bowl I got from the dollar store. Kinda like a chip dish and I always keep a long handle wooden spoon in my service bag to scoot what does not fall through the slot. I let the product flow until it fills the dish then empty that into a gallon ziplock bag. Put a couple of those gallon bags in your kit just in case.

• 2 years later...