White crunch?

Chkoolaid1

Got an email from an account saying an employee opened a crunch bar and that it was white and tasted weird. I got there, pulled them all out and opened one and it was whiteish, turned out they were all like that. Not like white chocolate but defiantly had a white tint to it. Tasted fine though. It expires in 6 months. Anyone had this happen before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It means you probably transport them in a cooler of some point and they got frozen.  You can't have candy below about 75 degrees so keep your blue ice or whatever you use away from direct contact with chocolate.

Happens to me when the chocolate gets too hot.  This easily happens in places where it's above 85 degrees OR when they get too hot in transportation. It can also happen in extreme cold.  Don't ever let chocolate sit in direct sunlight either, such as in a machine near a window.

The white is usually caused by storing the chocolate too cold, then when it hits the dew point temperature when removed from that environment, it sweats and caused the powdered sugar to crystallize.  Just remember, chocolate melts at 78F. No need to store it below 70F.

Interesting! It must have been the cooler. The location is warm but I don't think it's warm enough to cause that. How do you guys transfer your chocolate in hot weather? It's only hot (95+) here for a few weeks a year.

Thanks for the help and education!

I use ice chests with no ice. I added an extra layer of insulation to the lids using foil backed foam. I live on the Mojave desert where it gets stupid hot. On days over 115 I just leave the chocolate at home. On days of 100-110 I leave the engine running with the AC on an directed at the ice chests. I use two ignition keys and lock my doors with the spare.

When I was a small vendor I used an ice chest with a soda flat protecting the candy from the blue ice i carried.  In Arizona the only time candy got white was from a storage refrigerator that was too cold or candy that stayed in it too long.

We ran into the very same problem several years ago when we were keeping the candy to cold. We invested in a couple of these transport boxes listed on ebay and haven't had trouble since.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Candy-Cooler-Vendor-Ice-Chest-/282158985007?nav=SEARCH

In fact we use them summer and winter. In the summer it keeps it from getting too hot and in the winter it keeps it from getting too cold.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Chard and all, Thank you for referencing our ebay auction. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Candy-Cooler-Vendor-Ice-Chest-/282158985007?nav=SEARCH

As mentioned the cooler setup is definitely handy on both hot and cold days alike; Can really save a lot of lost revenue due to damaged candy bars by hot and cold.

If you or anyone on the forum are interested in purchasing further coolers, please feel free to message me through the private message on the forum or ebay.

On 9/6/2016 at 2:40 PM, Chard said:

We ran into the very same problem several years ago when we were keeping the candy to cold. We invested in a couple of these transport boxes listed on ebay and haven't had trouble since.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Candy-Cooler-Vendor-Ice-Chest-/282158985007?nav=SEARCH

In fact we use them summer and winter. In the summer it keeps it from getting too hot and in the winter it keeps it from getting too cold.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

No problem.  I don't mind suggesting products that I've actually used and like and  I have really gotten a lot of use out of the ones I have.  Our summers get pretty hot and we didn't want to invest in a cold plate for the truck.  Your coolers work well and I'm impressed with how well they've held up over the years.  We use them daily!

That is excellent to hear the coolers have been serving you well!

To any member of the Vendiscuss forum, I am offering the coolers for $99.00 + Shipping as of October 1 2016 (a savings of $25.00!)  as a thank you for those who have been using them and also those who would like to get into using them for a really good price. 

Please private message me if you have any questions or interest and we can make arrangements outside of the e-bay auction. 

Many Regards.

• 3 months later...

Archived