PAINTING NORTHWESTERN M60s

ROGERS VENDING

I'm going to look at some Northwestern M-60's on Saturday.  This is going to be a BIG purchase if everything goes through...  The gentleman selling these machines said that some are a little scratched up and in need of touch up paint.  How would one go about painting these machines?  Where would one get the proper paint?  And keep from screwing up the rest of the machine?  Do you think it will get expensive?

I'm getting a GREAT price on the machines.  If there's anyway to make this work, it would really help my growth from the get-go.

Cheers,

Jesse

Jesse, if they have just minor scratches, you may be able to go to a hobby store and pick up some model paint.  If they need totally repainted, just take it all apart and spray paint the body.  Hope the deal works out for you!

Gabe,

Thanks for the  tips.  Hopefully I can get the EXACT yellows and reds so it doesn't show :?

Would you use high quality car paint if repainting the whole machine?  It would last longer and may even look stylish... Where would be the best place  to buy if you were going to do that?  It shouldn't be much money considering how little paint would be needed per machine...

Cheers,

Jesse

Jesse,

Yes, you can easily paint them as I had to do all my 200 heads of Northwesterns. They turned out good and I got a great deal on them as it sound like you will get. Definitely worth the effort if you get them for a good price.

Mark

Jesse,

My dad actually did it and I think it was the Rustoleum that Islander mentioned. Mine are black and it was fairly easy to blend the paint. It did take quite a bit of time breaking down each machine to paint and clean and sanitize. But it was well worth the investment. Dad also painted the cast iron stands black as well.

You are definitely starting right by keeping your initial investment low. You'll make your money back quickly by doing it this way. It just will be a season of hard work then reaping the results.

As far as cost it wasn't more than 20 dollars. It might be more if you have to totally repaint each square inch.

THanks,

Mark

The key to refurbishing machines is that you must have a good temp. and good paint. Not saying other vendors are wrong but it takes you all way to much time using rusteoleum paint. The quickest method is to use kryon paint which you can get at wal mart it drys in 10 minutes completly dried. And glad that your getting a deal on northwestern stuff if that falls  through or anyone needs any NW 60 parts ive got alot of back stock parts wheels, bodys, hoppers, globes, lids, screws ect... ill let go for cheap they are just collecting dust.

Shawn

618-377-5305

Want to thank everyone for their input!!

These Northwestern M-60's may cost a little more than I originally thought:  $20 per single head with stands,  $40 per double head with stands...  I think it's still a pretty good deal?  I should get some spare parts with the purchase.

He said he has one J-rack... Not sure if I should  buy it or how much I should pay for it...

Want to thank everyone for their input!!

These Northwestern M-60's may cost a little more than I originally thought:  $20 per single head with stands,  $40 per double head with stands...  I think it's still a pretty good deal?  I should get some spare parts with the purchase.

He said he has one J-rack... Not sure if I should  buy it or how much I should pay for it...

how big j-rack?

i think personally your getting ripped off. 40.00 per double head is a fair price but come on if your new to vending and get suckered into it then fine and its understandable but i wouldnt pay 40.00 If i were you i would offer 30.00 and if the deal falls through let me know ive got a storage locker full of northwestern parts and enough stuff to make up 40+ machines and im letting it go for 400.00

Shawn

Really?  $40 per double for Northwestern is too much?  I thought Northwestern was a good brand and even refurbished you're going to pay $100 per double...  from what I've heard from a vendor with 1200 locations...

Am I missing something here?  I originally thought I was paying $20 per double... Is $40 per double (with the stand included) too much for Northwestern?

I think the J-Rack holds 4  candy machines... Not sure...

i think personally your getting ripped off. 40.00 per double head is a fair price but come on if your new to vending and get suckered into it then fine and its understandable but i wouldnt pay 40.00 If i were you i would offer 30.00 and if the deal falls through let me know ive got a storage locker full of northwestern parts and enough stuff to make up 40+ machines and im letting it go for 400.00

Shawn

Westlake,

You will sale 40 doubles for $400?  That's $10 per double...  I wuold buy that RIGHT NOW! But what about shipping to Texas?

Cheers,

jesse

vendors here value equipment very low.

most people here are out to get a super great deal or nothing.in the end pay what you are comfy paying.pay what u think is worth it to you after u factor in time and materials.

Antonio,

Thanks for the encouragement.

(To Mark)

I'm curious to know how much Mark paid for his Northwestern doubles?  Do you mind sharing or this personal? 

I think I will try to talk him down to $35 per double and a free J-Rack.. lol

$20 per NW60 head plus a free J-stand and no shipping is a very good deal and I would jump on it - assuming the machines are in reasonable shape. I bought 40 NW60's from a bankrupt rack vendor for $25 each a few years ago. Plus 10 NW80's for $40 each.

Painting them is similar to minor autobody work. Remove all parts, sand any rust off, clean the metal, tape off the myler, apply spray paint, let dry and put it back together. However, I do think you should use a quality paint on the machines and not the cheap Wal-Mart stuff. I use Rustoleum myself. Yes, it takes a full day to dry, but you have a much better quality paint and a more professional look. Now I do use the cheaper quick dry stuff for the bases of the pipe stands.

Jax

im the complete opposite use krylon paint from walmart get the glossy color and its about 3.00 a can and 1 can will work for 13 machines. I would use the appliance apoxy paint from lowes that comes in black. Keep in mind you want to use a gloss paint on the machines and a apoxy on the base because the base gets more damage and work that the body.

Shawn

I paid 25/head including the stands and a boatload of extra parts. They have been workhorses so far and I would do it again. Have had no problems with them. Very heavy duty and more stable than my Beavers.

I probably could have talked him down at least $5 a head or more but they were friends of the family and I was satisfied with the deal.

Thanks,

Mark

JAX, WESTLAKE, MARK.... I appreciate all the input.  I don't feel so good right now.  I drove 5 hours to pick up these machines.  The old man was very nice.  His son owned the business and played over a dozen years in the Big Leagues (MLB).  The only problem is he thought I was ready to buy.  He had 36 doubles ready to load and an invoice.  I don't think he did it on purpose, but that's not the way I wanted to go.  I know he spent quite a bit of time putting the machines back together.  I'm not sure if I will purchase any more from him.

I feel they should have been cheaper than the $40 paid (2 heads on a stand). They're really not that scratched up, but the paint is dull.  I feel the need to paint every machine.  I noticed right off the back that 2 globes are very faded and will need replacing.  I think the others will work for now.  I WAS GIVEN NO REPLACEMENT PARTS!!  THE SON SAID THERE WOULD BE PLENTY.  I ASKED, RECEIVED ONLY ONE EXTRA MECHANISM!!

I paid $1,580 for:

(36)  (NW model 60s) doubles on stands

(1)  J-rack with 4 NW-60s

(2)  NW Triple Plays

There probably 25 years old.

I feel it should be around $1,100.

Four questions:

1.  Is yellow a bad color?  Should I sand them more and repaint a different color?

2.  Can you vend candy out of the gumball wheels?   Or can you vend gumballs out of the candy wheels?

3.  On some of the machines, there is the very slightest bit of rust  towards the bottom of the main rod or on the gumball springs that stick up from the wheel.  What should I do??

4.  Is there any product I can put on the outside of the mechanisms to shine the metal, eliminate some of the scratch marks?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!  THIS HAS BEEN A LEARNING EXPERIENCE... Hopefully it won't turn out too bad.  I always try to learn from my mistakes and do better the next time.

Cheers,

Jesse

Jesse,

First let me say that while it might not have been the best deal you could have found, it certainly isn't the worst. Being new I think refurbishing a few machines is the way to go. Once you have stripped and redone 5 of those you will be very familiar with them and how they work. Service calls will be that much quicker and you will know everything works when you place it. Also don't lose sight of your roi......38 doubles is 76 heads, assuming the nat'l average you should gross 532 per month taking out cogs at 35% which is high a few cans of paint and your time you will most likely have your money back within 8 months. That's better than a lot of other new businesses!

I Live in illinois ive got a few complete machines but ive got several bodys, hoppers, lids, chutes, and other spare northwestern and oak parts.  Im the parts guy just email me what you need and i can get it or i already have it in the warehouse. But im letting northwestern stuff go cheap. Id like to get it all out and gone this week. Anyone interested i do delivery 200 miles north and south of Alton illinois 62002. Throw me and offer.

email all parts lists to: westlake-vending@hotmail.com

Id be glad to give everyone on vendiscuss a good deal

If you needs tips or information call me anytime 618-377-5305

Shawn