Anybody used car body vinyl wrap to refurb a vending machine?

brendio

I have an AMS machine I am refurbishing to place out on site and some of the paint was peeling and there was some surface rust in one corner of the machine. The paint is actually still okay on the back and other side of the machine. I have started stripping the peeling paint with a heat gun, but don't want to do strip the whole machine if I don't have to, but want to make sure it all blends in at the edges of where I have stripped and where I haven't.

Anyway, I was wondering if instead of painting I can use a car body vinyl wrap like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-51-x-2M-Carbon-Fiber-Car-Vinyl-Film-3D-Black-Sheet-Wrap-Sticker-Decals-DIY-OZ-/121200518575?hash=item1c381d25af:g:7u0AAOSwDwtUqOfA

I have no experience with them so not sure how hard it would be to put on and if would it is any easier or give a better finish than painting.

Painting is the best way to refinish a machine unless you want fancy graphics on it.  If you do any kind of wrap you need a clean smooth surface so you'll still need to strip that side and paint it in order to wrap it.  You can get a local vehicle wrap company to create a wrap for you.  That's how the Healthy ripoff machines are finished.

I actually regularity do this for older machines. Time is so valuable I don't often have time to completely repaint. The company that wrapped my vehicle will wrap the machines for me. Usually around $150 per machine.

They come in and sand machine and apply the vinyl. That's usually a basic black but sometimes with header writing for a location.

Is it as good as completely repainting? No. But if it's going somewhere that won't get beaten up alot it's a quick and easy way to make a machine look much newer.

I've gone the painting route for this machine, but have been at it all week between sanding, bogging, priming and painting, waiting for paint to dry, painting again x 2. Oh and dismantling. 

I'm happy enough with the result, but it is a time consuming process, especially when I'd like to get the machine out to its site asap.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived