Gurilla Located a hospital tonight..

sprint54fan

Q1. Does your location understand that you are NOT employed by the charity, but rather an independent business person? All my locations know that I am not in this for profit. They also know that my wife and I run a non-profit animal rescue.

Q2. Does your location understand that $1 to $2 per month actually goes to the charity and the rest is all yours? All my locations know that all the procedes generated from the machines benefit the animals of the organization for health care, food and housing. At the end of the year they recieve a statement of how much the machine generated and can be used for tax purposes.

We all have opinions that are expressed on this board. We're all entitled to them. On the other hand, we all have believes also. I believe that gorilla locating has no place in this industry. You can ridicule me all you want but you won't get any respect out of me. I have no respect for people who cheat.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can ridicule me all you want but you won't get any respect out of me. I have no respect for people who cheat.

I don't think anybody was ridiculing you or your beliefs. To say something should "never have been posted" is something entirely different. So, by your rationale, anything that YOU are against,  shouldn't be allowed to be posted.

You don't have to like it and you certainly don't have to agree with it (and you can even give your opinion on why you don't like it, isn't that great).

See my point?

(peace)

g

I see your point g and agree with it. I appologize for saying that because I'm not the one who makes the decisions on what should be posted on the board. On the other hand, this post gave everyone a look at who is running their business the way they want to. But to come on here and brag about dumping and running was uncalled for.

Time for me to ignore this. I said my points and now everyone can make their own judgement on what they want to do with their business. It's a matter of respect and reputation!

As a newbie to vending (4 weeks) We noticed some posts on how some introduce their charity to the store owners. While we don't agree on some of them, we decided to conduct our business this way: we fully explain to the owner that we work WITH our charity to raise money, and we explain how we do it. Our machines (u-turns) has a specific donation slot on them. 100% of all donations and $1 from all machines located (provide them with the # located at the time) goes to our charity. This is how we chose to run our new business, if this does not work, then we will close shop. I've always said if I had a business I would be as noble and honest as I could and not give in to the temptation of selling my soul to evil for the mighty dollar. Just my opinion.

I'm not quite sure how this thread snuck by me. I had no idea this exchange was going on until right now.

Guerrilla locating is a very controversial tactic that I do not condone. It is just wrong no matter how you look at it. This topic has been brought up twice before and I was under the impression that we as a community were wholly against it. It appears that opinion has changed since then, Which is fine. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and should be given the room to express them. That is not the problem I am having with this thread.

I just wanted to chime in here so it is known to all our newer members that this board does not condone this behavior. It is not a proper way to gain locations, it is dishonest and unprofessional. As vending operators we have a difficult enough time garnering respect as business owners. We don't need to give anyone a reason to think otherwise.

We are professionals, lets act like it.

Steve

JOHN aka GUM_FATHER

I have had a great reputation with my peers ...the only time I havent was when the whole uturn thing came up with snap (which you can read the story on this board under bulk classifieds in the topic 4 uturn 4 selects needed) I still to this day talk to several of the yahoo vending board guys and a couple on here by email and phone and amn about ready to meet one vendor from here in person to buy equipment from..

You seem like you have it out for me..I dont know if its because you dont agree with my business ethics (which I really dont mind if you do or dont,..as I said before I run my business how I want to..and then just post ym stories on here for others to read and give THEIR opionion on)..I dont know if it may be that your jealous..or what..but I really hate to see such the rude comments when you dont even know me and honestly dont have all the facts to judge me..

Bacho posted on this thread with this " It's sad to even see someone that's been in the business for 9 years doing childish things".. 

What I think is childish is the rude and very uncalled for comments from gum_father.. I wish YOU luck in this business John..as if you have the same atitiude in person as you have on this board..your going to need it..

And by the way everyone the hospital was checked today to see if the machine was there... and it had 7.27 in (yes someone stuck 2 pennies in it)..

It can be several things..

1) Its a small child..or someone trying to be funny and impress their friends that is acting goofy..

2) I find alot of the older generations get confused when reaching for change..and they accidentally grab a penny or nickal or other coin and insert it..

3) Its someone trying to get something for nothing..but when you use drop through mechs..the mech just eats..its like the machine is laughing at them when it takes their money..

4) Sometimes competition will do it to you..believe it or not ..there are some low scum operators out there that try to vandalize others machines at a location so the public is forced to use their machines.. I am not one of those but I have heard a couple stories from others..

Hope this helps..

Well said Jax, that is why I dropped the charity I used for $1/mo, I just didnt feel right about it.  I use the Ronald McDonald House as my charity now, they are local, and I give them the same percentage I would give the business depending on the type of location.

Sprint, I did enjoy your story on the locating in the hospital, I'll be honest I got a little chuckle.  :)

I know for a fact that my partner, who has been in the biz for 25 years, has probably done this many times, and by working with him, I am assuming the risk of having him doing it in our business, so in some instances I may be in the same position regarding this issue. 

I personally would not do it, but I am diplomatic about the situation, it is an individual businessperson's decision weather or not to pursue locations through this tactic.  In certain instances it may even be considered guerilla by going into the location and paying him commission and having the owner turn around and kick out any other charity machines in the location and go with your machine.  In this case, it isn't much unlike stopping purchasing janitor supplies through ABC Janitor Co. and going with XYZ Supply to save money/put more money in his pocket. 

I guess I'm confused about a few things. Whether you represent yourself as working with a charity or for a charity it's a mistake. I always represent myself as a volutneer fundraiser for the charity. As a volunteer the charity has not direct responsibility for me. Legally this is the correct representation, as the vending program for the charity is real. With respect to the funds, I explain that there is a minimum fee that I pay for the sticker. I forward money to the charity that is above and beyond that minimum. All of my clients understand this. If you feel its wrong to just pay the 1-2 per sticker per month then you should donate more; I do.

Regarding Jims' comment ,I have the same thing happen to me in locations that I share. Other vendors disappear when they see how low the sales volume is on their machines. Customers have asked me everything from taking the other machines (never), to servicing them better (not my machine!) Either way it gives bulk vending a bit of a black eye.

Regards,

Philo

PS- I have consulted with my son the lawyer, who hasn't sent me a bill yet. The volutneer fundraiser will hold up as the correct legal definition.

I must admit I got a chuckle from this story also and am interested in how it will turn out.

But I must add that I do not agree with the tactic, however I must admit that I have several locations that were gotten in this manner which I acquired with a route I purchased a while back.

One of the locations has been operating since 2001 and pulls over $400 every month and may do better next month since through my efforts to provide exemplary service I have been granted the exclusive for the location in all bulk sales.

From reading other vending boards sprint54 never really had much of a reputation amongst his peers. That probably doesn't mean a whole lot to him anyway.

John

LOL!  I hear ya Gum Daddy........;)

I guess I'm confused about a few things. Whether you represent yourself as working with a charity or for a charity it's a mistake. I always represent myself as a volutneer fundraiser for the charity. As a volunteer the charity has not direct responsibility for me. Legally this is the correct representation, as the vending program for the charity is real. With respect to the funds, I explain that there is a minimum fee that I pay for the sticker. I forward money to the charity that is above and beyond that minimum. All of my clients understand this. If you feel its wrong to just pay the 1-2 per sticker per month then you should donate more; I do.

Regarding Jims' comment ,I have the same thing happen to me in locations that I share. Other vendors disappear when they see how low the sales volume is on their machines. Customers have asked me everything from taking the other machines (never), to servicing them better (not my machine!) Either way it gives bulk vending a bit of a black eye.

Regards,

Philo

PS- I have consulted with my son the lawyer, who hasn't sent me a bill yet. The volutneer fundraiser will hold up as the correct legal definition.

Excellent post Philo.  Thanks for the information.    I like how that is phrased.

Well said Jax, that is why I dropped the charity I used for $1/mo, I just didnt feel right about it.  I use the Ronald McDonald House as my charity now, they are local, and I give them the same percentage I would give the business depending on the type of location.

• I have no problem telling my locations that the equipment belongs to ME and not the charity and that I am donating these items for charity use. 
  • I have no problem telling my locations that I buy the product, not the charity, and that I am donating it for charity use. 
  • I have no problem telling my locations that I do not get paid by the charity for me to come and service these machines and that I am donating my time AND GAS to do so.
  • I have no problem telling my locations that the $1 that I give to the charity is about 10%-15% of the income of most of my locations.  My average charity locations make about $10-$15 a month.  Some are higher, and some are much lower.
If they balk at that amount, then I ask them how much of their gross income goes to charity.  Do they give 15% like I do?  How about 10%?  5%?  1%?  Any?  Do they think that they can stay in business and still give out 10%-15% of their GROSS income to charity?

I also tell them that when they allow a charity vendor like myself to place a machine in their location, then it is just like another brick in the wall.  The more places that accept a charity vending machine, then the more the charity gets from me per year.

I just did my taxes for last year.  I gave $360 to the charity last year, whereas I only gave out $200 in commissions.  But I paid $950 in loan payments.

This discussion about morality of using Charity is pointless.  You can try to put as much spin on it either way depending on your point of view.  Obviously I do both charity and commission and I have no trouble sleeping at night.  Using charity is a tool that we as venders use and it's nothing to be ashamed of.  Commission vendors will use charity if they think it will get them in the door where a commission rack will not work, and they will cut the throat on their own preferred charity if they think they can get a location over somebody else who already has a charity machine in the location they want to get in on.  There is no high-road to be had here, so it's a wonder why people get so uppity about it in the first place.

dperry,

I like the way you presented the information on your taxes for charity and commission.  This is turning into a good thread overall on information and things you can say to rebut arguments from location owners regarding charities and commissions for that matter.

In my areas I have locations, I have had a few owners asking for letters of authorization, how much I am giving from the machine, etc.  By being with the local Ronald McDonald House charity I get all of that and I can also say I am giving them the same commission I also offer to the locations, if they choose to defer it to the charity I do so.  I also inform them they can request statements so they can use them for tax purposes.  I haven't had any requests yet, but you never know.  They can also call the house and speak to the Director himself who will verify they are in fact receiving donations from and working with my business.  Since I have so few locations that are charity now, however, I do not expect too many problems going forward because of these issues.

You are absolutely right that this is a hot button issue, a high road is impossible to find, as you can see this thread has sprouted some controversial posts and remarks, and I do not wish to add to them, but I do not agree with your statement regarding people being "uppity."  I am assuming (possibly wrongly) that this was directed at me since I was quoted in your post, and if so I apologize.  We must be careful using blanket statements when using words like this. 

dperry,

You are absolutely right that this is a hot button issue, a high road is impossible to find, as you can see this thread has sprouted some controversial posts and remarks, and I do not wish to add to them, but I do not agree with your statement regarding people being "uppity."  I am assuming (possibly wrongly) that this was directed at me since I was quoted in your post, and if so I apologize.  We must be careful using blanket statements when using words like this. 

No, this was not directed at you personally but rather it was a blanket statement as you said. 

The only reason I qouted your post was because you said that you didn't feel right about giving (only) $1 to the charity.  I wrote my post to rebut that notion that only giving $1 a month to the charity is tantamount to fraud.