Guess this machine!

Skaught

PLASTIC BIZOP MACHINE... MANY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SCAMMED BY THE MANUFACTURER... PAY NO MORE THAN $30 A PIECE FOR THEM... THERE WORTH $25-30 SIMPLY BECAUSE IT ALLOWS YOU TO BUILD YOUR ROUTE CHEAPER AND FASTER.  YOU CAN REPLACE WITH BETTER MACHINES DOWN THE ROAD IF NEEDED.

I used caps to emphasize the importance.  Be sure to have spare machines and parts for when the coin mechs break.

There are some positives.  They have removable cannisters which is somewhat rare for a triple play machine.  This allows you to switch out candy rather easily.

thats wayyyyyyyy to high even if they are new. if you look on ebay and craigs list you will see them go new for around 40-50 tops. but i would advise against them unless you are getting them dirt cheap. i ended up picking up 24 for 9.00 a peice from a guy in my area that did not even know what they were. i have had some good success with them but they are my least favorite machines.

Alright. I've been checking out craiglist for all the places within an hour drive radius of here, but haven't had much luck. That is one of the only deals here. Should I just keep waiting for a good deal, or should I look at buying from a manufacture?

if you have a ton of money to waste then you can buy new, it will just be harder to start up the biz. i remember when i first started i looked every day on craigs list and ebay for places within 150 miles, after about 2 months they all appeared at once. you will be happy you waited. but if you are dieing to get some out on the streets or if you have a location lined up then i would buy a few new machines.

To be honest. I'd like to find something in the price range of $500-700 to start out. I'm assuming I probably can't find anything decent in that price range if I'm starting new. You look like you have a lot of machines mxer. How long does it take you to service them?

well it doesn't take me even a minute, I am one of the very few people on this board that pays a person to service all of my machines. for me its worth more to me if i make less money and only deal with making the deposits at the bank. but to service a route of my size it takes about 2 days every 5 weeks for all of the bulk machines. the snack and soda machines are serviced every 2 weeks this time of year and they take 3 hours to do. if you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM i would be happy to assist in any. i have learned a lot of lessons the hard way

Skaught, I'm glad you are here. You are starting with what I was starting with. I had $500 to invest. I made a lot of dumb decisions on the way. I am still pretty new at vending, but have learned a few things. Remember it is going to cost you nearly $30 in candy to put a triple head machine on location. If you plan on getting a Sam's club membership that is going to be another $30 for a business membership (you just need a business card to get one).

Skaught,

Another note on purchasing used machines.You may go out and buy a bunch of different machines at good prices, but you'll find out now you have different keys for all these machines and they may have a few scratches here and there.Think about what kind of image you want to project about your company and yourself.I'm not pushing any equipment of any kind, just something to consider when buying used as opposed to new.

I've been buying used to start my business and approx. half the machines although used have never been placed. It seems alot of people buy new and don't succeed so will sell for a fraction of the cost they paid new. Alot of my machines where still in original boxes. If the machines are used and don't look nice then just don't buy them. Often the person selling justs wants the machines out of their garages. I just got 6 U Turns from a lady advertising on Craigslist. She was asking $75 each for 4 select so when I called I asked if she would take $50. Her response was if I came right now and got them out of her garage I could have all the machines for $50 total! I left so fast I didn't even have the right change and paid her $60 for all six machines.

If they are brand new then already a chute door is torn off in that picture. I have a few of them but not thrilled about them. For the right price they will get you into vending and make your money back quick. If you can talk them down then give it a shot. Once you pay those off you can start to get some better ones and save those for emergency spares if something happens.

peppermint patty sell great if they are in the right locations, bars, restaurants, and by far the best places pizza joints. you just have to be careful with the machines, there are a lot out there that are junk. i have some that look really nice but are a headache to service and would rather not even have them. the ones that you are looking are look like some that i have that are build "ok" but they are some of the best ones on the market as far as that market goes. i would offer that person 100.00 for them and it sounds like they will take it. i like peppermint patty vending because its so easy to get locations for them and real simple as far as product goes. not to mention they create no mess. 

There is also another similar and less expensive machine than the Vendstar. It's called Ultravend. The difference is that the cannisters are not removeable. I purchased several of them about 10 years ago. AT the time they were going for $99. I have since long replaced them with Northwestern, Oaks and A&A machines.

You have the right idea on the starting budget, but you would be surprised what you can find for $500, I have posts here that detail my van loads and even a storage shed full of like new stuff for $600.  Granted I had to travel 3 hours each way from Scranton, PA to New Haven, CT for one deal and to Downingtown, PA for another one. 

I suggest that you expand your search to a 100 mile radius, be prepared to have to suck it up if you can't find a deal right away.  Patience is one of the biggest and best virtures to have when starting a vending business.  You can get eaten alive by paying too much up front for machines, and end up trying to sell $20 for $75 like the seller of these machines you pictured.

Skaught,

You also might try running an ad on Craigslist under items wanted. I just ran an ad for free that I was wanting to buy used vending machines. Actually I got more calls than I could handle and bought from several people off that ad. It seemed like most the calls were for full line vending machines which I didn't want. The second most calls were from people with Vendstars which I didn't want either but got some so cheap I couldn't refuse. lol I also call and email people on Craigslist and offer them way under what they are asking, tell them to save my number and call me when they are ready. You can also google what you are looking for on Craigslist such as" wizard gumball craigslist". This can bring up machines all over the country since Craiglist won't let you do a national search. I've bought machines from several states this way and some great deals too.

I also had under a grand to start. I looked at used and got very disappointed. Around here they were just junk.

So, I bought new, off of Ebay. I got 5 machines new, one used and 4 used locally. filled them with candy and located all for about a grand. I made just about that much since then, so they are paid for. Better than my 401 which lost 25% last year.

You may have seen I just found a gem. I am picking up a bunch for cheap. I just kept looking after I got my feet wet. Every week (or day) I just kept looking at stuff on craigslist and ebay. I learned from this group. I waited. I had fun. I learned that I loved the business. Now I am about to go from the small 100 dollar a month business to 19 more machines! I know I can locate them. I have a pretty good idea what I will make (or move them) from each one. It was the perfect time to invest another grand.

Unless you are comfortable with used, I would get some XyZ if you want triple, or Oak are always good. I plan to get more Oaks in the future for locations that a triple or uturn wont work.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Oh, the used was an all plastic seaga double. Nothing wrong with it other than I have not placed it because I don't like the looks and feel it would reflect on me.

Thanks for all the input! Sounds like my start up money isn't too far off from many other people around here.

mxer518, thanks for the help, I sent you a PM.

Napavend, that is a good idea about expanding to check out deals even farther. If the deal is good enough, the trip would be worth it.

Nam, thanks for the idea. I am going to try and set that up tonight and see what happens.

Mountainman, thanks for the advice. I am trying to be patient, but I am still anxious to get a few machines and get out there. I'll just keep looking for a good deal, cause it sounds like they will come.

Don't buy ultravends !!!

Trust me you will hate them, I made the mistake when I first started because I bought almost 40 used ultravends although they were cheap and very dirty. $600 and they were asking $1200.

After I cleaned them up and got them out there I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

They don't have separate canisters and the coin trays are messed up. Don't get me wrong I am not promoting vendstars but it is an affordable way to get started as I did, they have not been too bad but just dont look professional.

Whether its 2 or 3 singles on a stand or the vendstars you need to be able to swap out candy until you get the right mix at that location. I have turned a $5 month location into a $30 to $40 location just by changing out a candy flavor

Anyway that's my 2 cents

Thanks