NIGHTMARES

vendnoob

I would like to read about the horror stories that any of you have gone though starting your business and what you did to deal with the problem and fix the issue. Im sur there are a bunch out there. everyone hit a few bumps in the road.

I just had my first... I came to work to find my soda machine wasnt working. So I unpluged it and plugged it back in and it reset itself to .05 cents. thank GOD this machine is where I work!!! i was able to reset it back to a dollar and its working fine now. Just  think what would have happened if it were on sight somewhere else the they did what I did. that machine would have been empty in no time flat!!!

I installed an ATM in a rural area convenient store. Three weeks later they drove a truck through the glass front door, put a chain around the ATM, yanked in out of the floor!

The store isn't responsible for the ATM and the ATM company isn't responsible for the damage to the store. This is one of the biggest objects to overcome often when trying to locate a new ATM. The insurance companies raise their rates for having an ATM. Wonder why?

Mark,

There are many ways to do the ATM business. Making the numbers work depends on the numbers being accurate just as in the vending business.

I did credit card processing and ATM's for several years writing through more than one company. It didn't work out so well for me or I wouldn't be here doing this business. If I had owned the business, atm machines and had the cash to load and operate I'd probably still be in the business. My pockets aren't even close to being that deep. I worked for someone else and now I'm able to work for myself here. Think I'm happier here. Wish you good luck if you decide to do ATM's and feel free to PM me if I can help you out in any way.

nam

Other vendors damaging your machines is part of the business??? Thats just horrible. I cant believe that. From what Ive been reading in here it doesnt sound like its part of the business.

Is there anyone in here that has damaged another vendors machine or stole it to cut down on the compition???

No ones has had machines stolen or had then damaged by possible other venders to get you to pull out of a location???

I had one machine that was vandalize when they broke into the location.  All I got back was the stand and the lid. 

I've had several locations close their doors and take my machines with them.  I have one location now where I'm trying to find the owner.  This is in a hole-in-the-wall barber shop in an old building.  His shop was there for 30+ years and it looked like it. Anyways, Hurricane Ike came through and damaged the building.  He seems to have gone out of business, but I can look in the window and see all the damage from the leaking roof ,and right in the middle of it is my machine with all the rotten candy sitting in it.  I had just filled it up with gumballs about a week before the hurricane.  That was 5 months ago.

Other vendors damaging your machines is part of the business??? Thats just horrible. I cant believe that. From what Ive been reading in here it doesnt sound like its part of the business.

It could be another vendor, it could be an employee or maybe just a customer off the street. You never know for sure, but one thing is certain, when you show up at a small percentage of your locations some of your equipment will be damaged and some of it will be gone. THAT is a part of this business.

I remember a post a while back about a vendor who had a round key, and the part of the key that sticks out he had ground off. He turned the lock on the new machine at the location so that when the new vendor returned to service the machine he wouldn't be able to unlock the machine or something along those lines.

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1987&forum_id=1&highlight=file+key

I had a 4-way in a closed japanese restaurant that the construction workers destroyed but most of the parts were intact.  I've also had two machines stolen, that is part of the business and the risk you assume.  So are slugs in the coin mechs, chasing machines in places that closed/put up for sale.  I've had just about all of that happen so far.

The most amusing story is a spot that I went in to pull after being told that they wanted the machine out.  I was going to relocate it right across the street, had permission and all, I walked in and told them I was taking it, and they stopped me from taking my machine!  They wanted to call the owner before any changes were made... I told them it is my machine and it doesn't matter what they want to change/not change, and went back and forth and finally left without the machine.

So, needless to say I'm taking it next time, and they can call the cops if they want to.  :)