Dealing with Thieves

lurtsman

I got a call this morning from my cell phone shop. They said some kids had been playing with the machine while they were helping customers. They could hear the kids getting alot of candy and came over to check. The kids immediately ran away. They found the coin mech jammed with paper and tape. They also found the bolts holding the head on looked like they had been played with.

They took the machine in their back room and called me. I took it apart and got the tape and paper out of the coin mech. There were about 6-7 of the paper/tape quarters inside the machine. I'm not willing to give up the location because it's been about a week since I last serviced it and I had over 3 bucks in there--and it's M&I they want while my machine has RP. They volunteered to move the machine deeper in where the kids would be more afraid to get caught.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Having it closer to their desks may scare some of the younger criminals.

2. It's possible they stole from it and blamed it on kids, but it's highly unlikely. I doubt they would pull that kind of a stunt for a couple bucks in RP.

3. My biggest concern is having the machine itself broken/stolen. I'd like a way to secure it better. (I have a super 60 on the tempo stand. I'll be changing it to a double millenia on a titan stand. That will make it vastly harder for someone to run off with, and hopefully harder to dislodge my machines from the stand.)

4. It would be nice to be able to secure it to the stand with more than the standard nut and bolt, as they said that was a little loose. Now granted, the machine jiggles/wabbles a tiny bit even with those fully tightened. It only attaches in two places after all and they are near the center, so it doesn't take a lot of slop for the outside to move.

I might've had more thoughts, but the Mrs. is distracting me with ice cream.

any ideas are always appreciated, especially from those with experience handling theft.

On a side note--I recently acquired the pizza place in the entrance and feel it would be prime real estate for someone to steal my machine if I can not secure it with a chain to something. That one wabbles even more. I'm considering looking for a more secure rack--and even playing with other vendors equipment to see if it wabbles. If it doesn't, I'll look at buying whatever they have. (My method after all is to imitate successful people) This does seem to be a big active place, and the entrance faces north so my stuff is all out of the sunlight. It would be an easy place to expand to a five way rack except for the cost of getting a new one. (sams club) Used is okay, but I haven't found many options that way.

I will probably be pulling the machine. When I went to service it today I noticed the #2 key on my key ring (the one I use for this machine was missing)

The only time another person could've touched my keys was while they were on my desk and I was asleep. (either my wife, or a burglar--not likely), or when one of the employees had asked to see what they looked like. I had handed it to him, and took my eyes off him for a few seconds. It would appear that was enough time for him to slip the key he had seen me use on this machine.

Until this morning, I did not know the keys were identical--and thus had put a little sticker with a number on each key to let me know which machine it went with. Ironically he had suggested that maybe the thieves were trying to get into the machine, I said it was built like a tank, and lo and behold, the next day the key he saw me use was missing. When I suggested maybe I dropped it, he didn't have much to say, while the sales manager searched the place. I do not take the keys off the key ring, when I open a machine, my entire collection of keys twirls above it.

I'm very sad, this was a great location, however the odds of theft are now far too high. I can't afford replacing a brand new super 60. The attitude I got earlier in the day when I came in after a missed call, followed by a voice mail later in the day blaming kids feels very cryptic now that the key has gone missing. Even at work, my keys stay in my pockets at all times. I considered that maybe I had left it at the other location I was servicing, but no, that was before I went to the cell phone place. Since I didn't know the keys were identical, I would've been a stickler about using #2 on this machine, so I would've noticed right then.

You don't need pull the whole machine because your lock has been compromised.  Just buy new locks from CamLock.  Those are the barrel type locks and are much more secure.  I had a similar situation where I had gone into a location to service it, and the lock in the top was not one of mine.  I was able to turn the lock without a key, and found that the tabs were missing.  Somebody had obviously broken the lock and replaced it with one so that it looked ok, but where they could still get into it.

I replaced the lock with one of those Camlocks, and it's been a breeze ever since.

NEVER EVER let someone else look at your keys! They most likely want to get the code so that they can order one from the manufacturer. Only Beaver seems to be real strict on selling keys - the others are very lax. Also, never broadcast your key code on an open forum. There is too much sleaziness in this business.

Jax

I pulled the machine this morning. Told them as long as a key was floating around I couldn't put any machines out that the key would work on.

Clearly it was a mistake to let someone see it, and it's a lesson I've learned. Even if he had not stolen the key, he could have copied the code and ordered it. Fortunately he does not appear to be that smart. (Though he sure did win a battle in stealing the key) Due to the cost of re-keying my machines, I'd rather not have to replace them all. Any ideas on how I can get the key back? I'm considering talking to the manager to let him know--as he said they have had theft issues at other stores, and I expect it was this employee. I could also just move on and never talk to them again.

In one respect I've decided to copy Bob (butler), if I do not feel comfortable in a location, I won't leave a machine. I'm not comfortable being around someone I know is trying to steal from me.

The Camlock idea is a good one though for being able to keep a machine on location. This guy just has too much alone time with access to the machine.

I believe the simplest answer is the best, and now the only simple answer is that this man is a thief. Fortunately he does not specifically know of any of my other machines except the autoshop. (Which might be pulled due to bad sales) The autoshop has a seaga, so the key is very different.

This brings up another Q though. Are all north westerns keyed the same by default, or were mine keyed the same because they part of one order off sam's club?

Well you can not come right out and accuse this guy. Yes you do have indications that lead you to believe it was him and it sounds like the most logical answer. You may want to send or bring by a sealed letter letting them know your thoughts on the situation. Just to let them know what your evidence is and that might want to be careful of this character. Who knows, you might make them aware of a problem they didn't know they had. At least you learned a valuable lesson.

Well you can not come right out and accuse this guy. Yes you do have indications that lead you to believe it was him and it sounds like the most logical answer. You may want to send or bring by a sealed letter letting them know your thoughts on the situation. Just to let them know what your evidence is and that might want to be careful of this character. Who knows, you might make them aware of a problem they didn't know they had. At least you learned a valuable lesson.

I believe the last sentence is the most important. At the most basic (and greedy level), I learned a valuable lesson. IMO, this lesson was worth more than I paid. I hope to be lucky enough to learn other lessons with no more cost than this one.

Lurtsman,

I know it's a bad situation but imo it's best to just chalk it up to doing business. You could be opening a can of worms you'll regret. I say this because I do know that business owners talk to each other and you really don't need bad word of mouth to get around. I say just move on to a better location and better profits.

Lurtsman,

I know it's a bad situation but imo it's best to just chalk it up to doing business. You could be opening a can of worms you'll regret. I say this because I do know that business owners talk to each other and you really don't need bad word of mouth to get around. I say just move on to a better location and better profits.

Islander,

I agree, theft is a cost of doing business, any business.  It does bug me when I think someone stole from me or I think they are stealing from me.  Putting best practices in place will reduce theft.  But you can not focus on it - it's like focusing on a guardrail when driving down a highway, you will crash. 

It really is the trust factor when it comes to Bulk Vending. One of my biggest competitors has the same exact lock numbers as I do. Ironically, we have machines together, beside each other, in a number of accounts ($50+ accounts).

Honestly, I have more to worry about. Our keys are everywhere and unless they are barrel, every vendor knows if they have keys or not. I have never opened anyone else's machines, but mine have been opened. Normally I will not say anything, but after 2-3 times I will leave a note on the other machines. Something like "We do not open your machines, please do not open ours- AmuseStar Vending". That normally stops it.

Kyle

My feeling is that while it's clear he stole, it's more efficient for me to move on. Some day someone else will catch him stealing and teach him a lesson, but it won't be me. I have more important things to do than bring him to justice. The costs to me could be too high, and there is no guarantee that justice would be there. I will walk away and just look for a better location.

Time to focus on finding new locations, and of course put in a little time on finding that better job :). At least I learned these lessons for only a few dollars. It didn't even cost me the location--because that location was going to be ruined by the thief anyway.

I am very lucky to have this forum where so many people help me absorb the lesson and make the most of my experience.

Thank you.

Your lesson may save a new vendor the trouble of learning that lesson on their own. Move on to a greener pasture. Take it as a sign that this location was not the right one and you were moved on by other forces. Sooner or later theives get caught.

Lurtsman, you are the better man for handling it like a professional

-Brian

Hey Brian, how are your triples doing? Are you having a locating company doing them, or hitting the road yourself? (Saw your signature) As new vendors I think we can encourage each other. It sure seems difficult to me sometimes, but other times it just feels like I've done things inefficiently. Good luck if you strike out on your own. I think it makes it that much sweeter getting your first locations, though I have to admit I didn't have much luck w/ getting big money locations at first.

Lurtsman, you are the better man for handling it like a professional

-Brian

Hey Brian, how are your triples doing? Are you having a locating company doing them, or hitting the road yourself? (Saw your signature) As new vendors I think we can encourage each other. It sure seems difficult to me sometimes, but other times it just feels like I've done things inefficiently. Good luck if you strike out on your own. I think it makes it that much sweeter getting your first locations, though I have to admit I didn't have much luck w/ getting big money locations at first.

Hey lurts,

I bought them without keys/locks so I just received the locks in the mail yesterday. All setup now and as soon as Sam's club opens this morning I am heading there for my candy.

I will be locating them myself. I agree, it will feel all the better doing it ourselves!

I definately love that being new vendors together we can help each other out and watch as we grow.

Goodluck to both of us!

-Brian

Sorry to see you pulled a good machine, looks like you earned a lesson out of all of this.  You are handling this well and I know you will be successful if you keep this mindset.

Going forward, you may consider just replacing the lock on the machines, don't pull the machine if its a good performer.  Make sure you replace with more sophisticated locks than what was there.

OR...Try to replace the lock with one that uses a similar but not the same key, that will really frustrate the key swiper when he tries to get in the machine.

Also, NEVER EVER let anyone see/touch your keys... EVER!  Guard the keys with your life!  Do not let them out of your sight, your pocket, your car, ever!  This is why I don't color code keys/locks/machines, someone else can pick up on your pattern and help themselves. 

I have most of my locks down to memory, in a few cases I don't remember I narrow it down to 2 or 3 keys and play with them till I find the right one.  I am also going to start compiling a list of key numbers to add to my info on Vend-Trak.  I also use several different key chains that have several of the same keys and similar keys so would-be thieves don't pick up on which key chain i am using or which key.  It can be a pain in the butt at times but I consider it a price to pay for an extra layer of protection.

In a worst case scenario, if I lose a key chain or someone steals one, I have the other three with all of the keys from one on the other, plus a toolbox at home with even more so I won't be locked out of my own machines.