Cleaning inside cannisters

nam

What is the best way to clean cannisters?  We've learned to let them soak in water to remove labels and the vegetable oil to remove residue.  Do you guys put the plastic containers in the dishwasher?  Do you put the plastic candy wheels in the dishwasher?  I've got a bunch done that I washed by hand and have alot of water spots inside and out.  I know the dishwasher detergent has rinsing agents to prevent that but how do I wash them by hand and not have spots?  Can I wash the inside with like windex to remove water spots or is that not approved because they are containing food?  Are there certain cleaners that you are supposed to use for cleaning food containers?

Am very used to walking into my locations with paper towells and windex but just have no experience with handling food products?  I also have a high pressure washer.  Has anyone ever tried using one outside to clean and remove stickers and so forth from used machines?  The high pressure washer will remove the morter from between bricks if not careful so figure it would remove those stickers too?

nam

Islander,

Thanks for the link. I did search for "cleaning cannisters" and "cannister cleaning" but didn't bring this up. This link was a great thread with as always alot of disagreement on ideas.

On this same thought I had more questions after reading this thread on cross contamination of nuts. If using a machine a machine that has seperate cannisters such as U Turn, 1800, etc. then it shouldn't be a problem, right?

I have this one U turn cannister that should be really nice. The machine wasn't very old and the others were all really nice. It looks like they tried to clean it with the wrong cleaner and turned the plastic cloudy. It isn't scratched up or cracked or anything. Just cloudy and can't see through it very well. Any ideas how to make it look nice or will I just have to pitch it?