Useless (but interesting) trivia

lacanteen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, lacanteen said:

tumblr_pc0uvge7Gb1sa4vz3o1_500.png

Well, technically... pepper flowers contain both genders and produce peppers that are neither male nor female.

Though it is true that a four lobed pepper generally has more seeds just due to the larger size of the fruit’s cavity, this is independent of any “gender identity” the plant may or may not posses. 😏

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but the number of these internet “hacks” that are made up and passed on to those who don’t know any better just irks me.

Love the other info though, keep it up! 😃

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AngryChris said:

We don't have time for logic and reasoning here.  Get out of here.

Sorry, been away for a while and forgot. I won’t let it happen again. ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, lacanteen said:

If it weren’t for leap days winter and summer would switch months entirely every 720 years.

The addition of a day isn't perfect. A year is 365.242199 days. 

Adding a day every 4 years is 365.25, which overcompensates by by .00801, and to accommodate this error they skip the leap year every 100 years, but now it is short by .002199, so they add the leap year back in every 400 years. It's now over by .00037801. 

This means the leap year in 2000 was a once in a 400 year event, and at the time I don't think many people knew about it.

I haven't been able to find out if they take it any further or not, but corrections at that point would be in the thousands of years. I assume any idea of adjusting will be left to the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...