Useless (but interesting) trivia

lacanteen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, lacanteen said:

If everyone on earth was to compete in a global game of Rock Paper Scissors, the winner will only have to play 32 times.

I'm no mathematician but it seems like it would be closer to 20.

This is simple enough just by taking a calculator and dividing the estimated population by 2, and repeating. Although even with the population rounded to 7.8 billion, you still end up with fractions after the 10th round. But this is jut having to deal with one extra person a few times.

But I come up with 33, not 32.

I am sure there is a formula for this.

It's actually more of a theoretical statement because in reality, people are born and die around the world every minute. Also, there's a number of people that physically couldn't participate. 

19 hours ago, The Mage said:

This is simple enough just by taking a calculator and dividing the estimated population by 2, and repeating. Although even with the population rounded to 7.8 billion, you still end up with fractions after the 10th round. But this is jut having to deal with one extra person a few times.

But I come up with 33, not 32.

I am sure there is a formula for this.

I viewed this as everyone playing RSP simultaneously, dropping 1/3 of the population each round.  Clearly, my view is the correct one because I identify as a correct person.

3 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I viewed this as everyone playing RSP simultaneously, dropping 1/3 of the population each round.  Clearly, my view is the correct one because I identify as a correct person.

If everyone played simultaneously than there would only be a single game, and everyone would lose. 

46 minutes ago, The Mage said:

If everyone played simultaneously than there would only be a single game, and everyone would lose. 

I'm declaring this a liberal debate and calling you a racist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, lacanteen said:

Stuff

Disney knew that if it became known that he was interested in the land that the price would skyrocket. He even delayed the filing of the paperwork until large areas of land were under contract. 

Still it did eventually become known that somebody was buying up real estate. An "East coast Disneyland" was even one of the rumors, but apparently NASA was more popular.

(I watch too many documentaries.) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...