Need advice on new location

gsnwag

I went to a local eatery today to locate a machine. I spoke with the owner who said that they had a small gumball machine vending 1" gumballs. He said that I can put a machine in his place as long as it did not cut into his machine profits. Sounds like a double edge sword. I don't see how it won't cut into his machine. He did mention that it gets warm in there also. He ask about commission,  we told him that all donations and one dollar goes to charity. He said to bring a machine next week and see how it goes. Should we even do this? I know it is better than sitting up or should we try locating somewhere else. Maybe he wants to see how much we pull in and then bring up commission again.  Any thoughts?

If he gets 120$ in 3 months, you need to get in there. If at all possible encourage him to have a slower service cycle so he won't notice a dip in profits. I feel that the goal with management is generally to apply the dilbert principles. Make it less work to leave your machine than to interfere with it, and they will accept it because most people are deathly scared of doing a true day's work.

Perhaps I'm just jaded because of where I live though. (Nepotism reigns supreme. If you want a good job here, you are someone's friend/relative, or you are not seriously considered. It is scary.)

Thanks. I have 4 select u-turn. I was going to go with skittles, h/t, runts by his request, and I have gum tabs, but that might not go weell with his gumballs. Any ideas on other candy? I have PMM, but assume they will not hold up. All thoughts are appreciated.

Hot Tamales will stick together in a hot place. Make sure you spray them with Pam. I don't know how long they will last. You may have to treat them every month unless they sell out.

Thanks bacho. We treat them now, but we have yet to experience our hot humid weather. We have some atomic fireballs, don't know what they will do. We may try PMM, skittles, atomic fireballs, and runts and see what happens. We still have afew months before the real heat and humidity gets here.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of non chocolate candies are good sellers?

I do know that hot tamales does not vend well in that type of machine. I have some of those and CAN NOT put them in there . For some reason the get chewed up and stuck.

I would put skittle, Runts ,Reeses,Chicle gum.

If you do put MM of any kind don't fill it  up . Like that by the time you service it again it will be down enought that you didn't loss any candy.

hope this helps

betty

Here is my .02 since I still have many U-turns as well. So here is my techie/nerdy explanation.

On the underside of the base of the candy tumbler, there are three different designs that Uturn made over the years and one of them is bad for M&I and Hot Toms. So turn over the bases and inspect them. The early design looked like a kids swimming pool - just a square bottom with 4 outside walls. The 2nd design added an inside "wall" in the middle to minimize giving too much free candy that got "trapped" in this area and unfortunately the jell products also got stuck on this inside wall and would jam. So Uturn modified the design again and now currently has only a semi-wall that goes only half way into the open area so that jell products can not get stuck. I only use the 1st or 3rd design for those jelly products since I had the same problem years ago and got this info from Uturn.

Also always use a spring stir and avoid filling it to the top. Try to keep the machine in a A/C climate controlled environment. There will still be some locations (especially in here the great south east) where you simply can not vend them due to extreme humidity in some locations. M&I is my second best selling candy and it would be a real shame to not be able to sell it.  However, I no longer sell the Hot Tomales - just too inconsistent.  Hope that helps.

Jax

I agree with Joe on that one. To keep with the original topic, I would do Skittles, Runts (if requested), one capsule toy and superballs. Avoid MMP if he wants a commission. M&I also sells well in the right climate. However, candy usually does not sell that well in restaurants! I would eventually replace the Runts with another capsule toy later on.

Jax

I agree with the "toys" comments and especially the balls. I think toys will help the perception that it will not cut into his profits. Also, 27mm asst balls have a good profit margin for you as an operator (and unlimited shelf life).

THanks,

Mark

Superballs are the second cheapest product after gumballs, and in that setting I have always sold great.  Toys are more but those also sell very well and the mystery mixes and things like that are usually priced OK, about 5 cents or 20% COGs.

Stickers/Tats are about the same COG as toy capsules, about 10 cents or 20% COGs.  With a 50 cent vend option you will increase your revenue drastically. 

I'd consider an early check in--if the location is doing great and you want to make sure you can keep it buy some gumballs so he will not see a slump in sales. That way if sales drop later it won't be linked to your machine being there. Of course, the location might not be good enough to warrant buying his gumballs to stay in there.