Vendo 475 suddenly turned into a freezer!

gbox

First off, I like to thank you guys for my last thread. I got the compressor fixed in late Dec and so far so good. 

However, this Vendo machine at a different location suddenly went ice, ice cold. The manager at the place called me and said the sodas were frozen. He said it was fine Tuesday and then Wednesday it went bad.  I thought okay, maybe just a couple. I get there and open up the machine and all I see is carnage. Ice and slush everywhere. In hindsight, I should've told him to turn off the machine.

I didn't take pictures of the carnage because I was pretty distraught, although I should've when I think about it now. It was a sight to see. 

Anyway, the condenser coils were completely frosted/iced. 

The things that I was able to check is the two fans in the back are running. Rubber door seal looks good.  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. I bought one off Ebay and installed it and so far so good. 

Picture of new thermostat mounted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would be considered normal icing/frosting, no?

Picture of old, busted thermostat 

Installation was pretty simple/straight forward. Just follow how the old thermostat is hooked up. Although for the brass line, I thought there would be a metal clip where you can easily hook the line on and off, but it seems like it is a slot where you insert the brass line through it and then make the bend. Had to play around in the back there for a few minutes.

There is another issue with this same Vendo 475 that comes and goes. Sometimes when pressing the button selection to make a vend, it requires multiple presses before it finally vends. About 10-20 presses or so. The issue is the same for all 8 buttons. 

Then, it'll work like normal for 2-3 vends in a row. One press of the button and the machine vends a drink. It'll eventually require multiple presses again to make a  successful vend. 

Not sure if this picture will be of help, but if there's anything that would help me understand that would be great. 

That is the correct installation of the thermostat and the capillary tube.  It's good that you installed the cap tube correctly as most people don't and then it doesn't cool properly or the tube gets cut by the fan.  The frost you see is normal when the door is open for a while and you have some humidity.  The button issue is caused by misadjusted and worn switch arms.  What you can try is to loosen the two bolts that hold the switch bracket to the side of the door and make minor adjustments.  Get the top two buttons working well and then move the bottom to get the lower buttons working well.  Make sure all switch arms have the same bend in them and replace any that don't.  

Again email me if you need any switches - I don't understand why people come to this forum for free advice and then turn to fleabay for parts.  

Archived