Hiring out to stock machines

Vendia Gram

Hi ho! I am in the research stage and have been enjoying all the info on this site. 

My question is about hiring employees to stock. Has anyone here had success with that? 

This isn't something I would do to begin with. I will definitely start small to test if vending is for me before I jump into anything large scale.

Thank you!

Carrie

Disclaimer: the following is what I have gathered from other operators and this forum, I do not have employees myself, so take this with a grain of salt.

At this point, you are thinking slightly too far ahead, as most operators never get to the point of having employees.

However, if you choose to go down this path, there are things to keep in mind:

Your biggest issue will be cash accountability.

You must constantly be vigilant about theft, as well as laziness and incompetence.

Once you make the leap into your first employee you will open a whole new set of issues, headaches, and expenses, like insurance, payroll, and supervision.

In addition, you can get older equipment for your first machines, but as you grow, if you decide that vending is for you, and would like to eventually hire employees, you should be buying 100% newer machines that have MDB and DEX capabilities. This, when combined with telemetry, will allow you to keep complete accountability of every dime, dollar, and quarter put into your machines, allowing you to reconcile the collected cash with the sales.

• 3 weeks later...

I work for a company that has a half dozen locations, and I collect and service machines for the owner so he can focus on other things. When he started out, he was doing it all himself, but he began to hire out over time, and now I have that job, and it seems to be working pretty well for him. Like orsd said, theft is a big concern. He has me collect, and another employee count, and then he checks that against meters in machines that have them, against merchandise movement in machines that have them, etc. I support your decision to start small and not hire out yet though!

Archived