Dixie narco 501e9

Hi,

I am installing a machine at a new account. It's a Dixie narco 501e9 and they want to know if the machine has ground fault wiring? This is the first time this has come up in the 10 years I've been in business but, do any of you guys happen to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newer machines all have GFI cords per the electrical code.  You can replace the cord or buy an inline to use with the existing cord:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tower-Manufacturing-Corporation-10-ft-In-Line-GFCI-Vending-Machine-Cord-30338175/202510253

The inline is probably the easier and cheaper option.  Yes, you can also get GFI outlets but I would not make any alterations to a client's building wiring!  Their may be GFI's that plug without a cord, but don't confuse GFI's with surge protectors, they are totally different things....

Thanks for all your replies. This is just strange that this is coming up now. They are having an electrician do the work next week and he said that my machine would need to have ground fault wiring. I should just tell them they need to install an outlet that has ground fault wiring built in? In almost 10 years of vending this has never come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the cord-mounted GFCIs is that they fail after a few years with false trips.  The electrician is shining you on. Unless he is rebuilding your machine or manufacturing it himself then your machine is grandfathered in to any changes in code. He can put the machine on a GFI circuit if he wants to but then only your machine can be on it or the circuit will be prone to tripping.  Just another know-it-all.  

Archived